None
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2014
1135 posts
286 upvotes
Alberta
Psycho44 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2016 8:44 am
curious how well it drives under imperfect conditions such as at night in areas with no lights or during rain or snow storms. Or fog.
My assumption is it will run better. Remember cars nowadays have cameras all around that self park (parallel/reverse etc). There are sensors everywhere. The run in no light situations it can have night vision with infrared to detect deer and other things jumping out. The tires will be able sense the condition of the road in real-time and make micro-adjustments on the fly. Right now we are relying on drivers, driving to the road condition, why not let a computer adapt instantaneously to road conditions.

This will make long distance trips amazing. Leave at 12:00am from Toronto and go to sleep with the family in the car and arrive in New York or Chicago in the morning. Live in the suburbs and want to go out drinking with your friends, don't have to worry about having 1 too many. This will save lives, and think about productivity increases if you can comfortably work or make calls or send emails while your car drives you to work. We have already come a long way, look at Anti-Lock breaking systems, blind spot detection, rear view camera detection and city-brake assist.
May 14, 2010
925 posts
69 upvotes
Halifax
I love to drive but also love the idea of driver less cars but to me I don't see getting to level 5 any time soon. Maybe in 10 to 15 years.

"Level 5: This refers to a fully-autonomous system that expects the vehicle's performance to equal that of a human driver, in every driving scenario—including extreme environments like dirt roads"

to me a driver-less car is one where the drive can be intoxicated, therefor not able to take control in any situation and still travel.
Feb 16, 2013
521 posts
567 upvotes
Toronto
In other news. Chief urban planner is a hottie.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7343 posts
1057 upvotes
According to a note by Deutsche Bank Markets Research analyst Rod Lache, GM says its AV program is “on track for a critical milestone” and that the company “will be safely driving passengers in complex urban environments without a human backup driver within the next few quarters, well ahead of competitors.”

“That business built off of this platform will ramp up much faster than is widely expected and will be material, even to a company of GM’s size,” Lache wrote in his report.

After discussions with GM management, Lache said the company suggested large-scale commercial operations for an AV program that would compete with services such as Lyft and Uber could begin as early as 2020.

http://business.financialpost.com/trans ... g-vehicles
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
17683 posts
1307 upvotes
All this talk reminds me of this.

R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3559 posts
451 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:32 pm
So everyone up thread who declared autonomous cars will never arrive or be decades away can read this, then acknowledge you were wrong

Waymo now has cars with no driver in the drivers seat on public roads https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/07/waymo ... the-wheel/
In one part of Phoenix, available only to a small group of people. Finally at least, the public will finally see bad at driving they are without human drivers rescuing them all the time.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16268 posts
1734 upvotes
Langley
zoro69 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:32 pm
So everyone up thread who declared autonomous cars will never arrive or be decades away can read this, then acknowledge you were wrong

Waymo now has cars with no driver in the drivers seat on public roads https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/07/waymo ... the-wheel/
Wow, amazing. I'm onboard with this whole automated car thing, and I'll still impressed that this is happening already.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2004
9030 posts
585 upvotes
Mississauga
Discuss how this will change jobs and industries, directly and indirectly, in years to come...