• Nov 12th, 2017 1:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2006
2188 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
i wonder how well this stuff works in heavy congestion... street traffic. cyclists. picking up passengers at busy intersections, with traffic....
passengers getting off in the middle of the intersection. will be interesting.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2004
3674 posts
320 upvotes
Ottawa
The Nissan demo drives in traffic in London and is very impressive. It does get stuck behind a bus that stops for a break.
Mar 7, 2011
79 posts
21 upvotes
Moronto
As if single occupant cars roaming the streets weren't bad enough, now there will be zero occupant vehicles to contend with. FanF...ingtastic.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
40869 posts
9763 upvotes
Who gets sued by staged victims?

Algo will avoid Brampton :)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
7366 posts
918 upvotes
Toronto
All I'm thinking is how much easier it will be to assassinate someone lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12069 posts
1887 upvotes
London
Las Vegas has a self driving shuttle bus now, but it was involved in an accident within the first hour
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/1662 ... -first-day

"....The autonomous shuttle was testing today when it was grazed by a delivery truck downtown. The shuttle did what it was supposed to do, in that it’s sensors registered the truck and the shuttle stopped to avoid the accident. Unfortunately the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle. Had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle has the accident would have been avoided. Testing of the shuttle will continue during the 12-month pilot in the downtown Innovation District. The shuttle will remain out of service for the rest of the day. The driver of the truck was cited by Metro...."
Mar 17, 2010
94 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
One way I can think of society transitioning into autonomous cars is by first creating an infrastructure for them. For example, start with a block of 2 km radius where all cars are required to be autonomous during a period of time of the day. So as soon as you enter that block, you 'tun on' the autonomous mode.

Keep doing that until the infrastructure can be slowly expanded.

I honestly think it will be a bad idea mixing autonomous cars with bad drivers on the road at the same time. My 2 worthless canadian cents.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26151 posts
6049 upvotes
GTHA
l69norm wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 7:01 am
Las Vegas has a self driving shuttle bus now, but it was involved in an accident within the first hour
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/8/1662 ... -first-day

"....The autonomous shuttle was testing today when it was grazed by a delivery truck downtown. The shuttle did what it was supposed to do, in that it’s sensors registered the truck and the shuttle stopped to avoid the accident. Unfortunately the delivery truck did not stop and grazed the front fender of the shuttle. Had the truck had the same sensing equipment that the shuttle has the accident would have been avoided. Testing of the shuttle will continue during the 12-month pilot in the downtown Innovation District. The shuttle will remain out of service for the rest of the day. The driver of the truck was cited by Metro...."
The real lesson of that self-driving shuttle’s first-day accident
The shuttle wasn't at fault, but it might have been able to avert the accident.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/11/th ... cident/#p3

On the other side, the shuttle did exactly what it was programmed to do, and that’s a critical point. The self-driving program didn’t account for the vehicle in front unexpectedly backing up. We had about 20 feet of empty street behind us (I looked) and most human drivers would have thrown the car into reverse and used some of that space to get away from the truck. Or at least leaned on the horn and made our presence harder to miss. The shuttle didn’t have those responses in its program.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
11160 posts
873 upvotes
Richmond Hill

George Hotz plans to make this into an everyday technology..soon. ;)