• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 8:23 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13357 posts
1211 upvotes
The loss of jobs would be amazing. Imagine, an entire middle class of people with nothing better to do than write, blog, protest and lobby over wealth inequality. The 1% might start to care when people just as smart and capable (albeit perhaps not as lucky) as they are start making arguments.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
7024 posts
219 upvotes
LOL you guys are funny.

You guys might want to check our history in the last 100 years.

More advance technology doesnt mean less jobs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6754 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto
BukLau303 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2016 7:17 pm
can we still mod driverless car
No, becauase the extra stickers that add HP wont benefit as they will only for the speed limit.

You can not program the car to approach speedbumps and angle the car on ramps if the car is slammed.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13357 posts
1211 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2016 9:23 pm
LOL you guys are funny.

You guys might want to check our history in the last 100 years.

More advance technology doesnt mean less jobs.
Jobs are a symptom of wealth in an economy. As long as we retain wealth, we retain "jobs" because people get rewarded for more and more oblique contributions.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
Even if all cars in the future were completely automated, I would still keep a clunker to whip around in on my own.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23272 posts
1061 upvotes
Markham, ON
...i think Taxi and Uber drivers will both protest against robo vehicles...just saying
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Show me a robotic vehicle that can recover from black ice or can successfully maneuver during a whiteout or during a snowstorm. Let's see one that will change routes or find shelter for example if you see a big rainstorm about to happen.

If there has been trials for this, I haven't seen them. Also I want the option to take control if needed. Fully robotic vehicles are an invitation to disaster waiting to happen IMO. I did read about others causing accidents involving robotic cars, but did they try to avoid the accident like a person would and if they did try, why did they fail?

It's a nice dream for sure, but until it's tested under all weather and traffic conditions, I'll pass. Let's see a robotic vehicle perform during a North Dakota winter. :)

Just my opinion only of course. I haven't been following the development process very much lately.

I had a very enjoyable taxi ride last night from Long Branch to Clarkson due to the fatality on the tracks at Port Credit. The cab (Becks) was clean, the driver friendly and he did his best to make sure we made the train there at Clarkson. Aside from the sardine-like confinement due to cabs being full all the time, it was a pleasure.

It was quite a sight with thousands of people (at least 2 trainloads) lining up for buses that hold 65 people each. Heck with that I'll pay cab fare.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7314 posts
1043 upvotes
You think you know more about the state of autonmous cars then elon musk etc???

""We're going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years," said the billionaire entrepreneur in an interview with Fortune magazine.

I think we have all the pieces, and it's just about refining those pieces, putting them in place, and making sure they work across a huge number of environments – and then we're done," he added."
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3514 posts
445 upvotes
Has Elon Musk ever met a deadline?

As for the state of autonomous driving today, the California DMV has a site with reports from several manufacturers, major parts suppliers and Google regarding the number of times their software had to be overriden by human intervention:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detai ... ent_report

Even the Google Cars would have had at least 10 at-fault accidents in 2015 if a human driver wasn't there to override it at the last moment. That's in <500,000 miles or an accident rate several times higher than the American population. And the Google Cars have been tested in just the Mountain View area, they've yet to handle the more extreme weather conditions.

The Tesla report is so brief that it more or less indicates that Tesla hasn't done any testing at all.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
4147 posts
660 upvotes
Sometimes technologies grow faster than people can adapt. I think this is one of them. While I like the idea, I'm not sure if the legal issues will be resolved soon enough. Also, people are used to a certain way of life. Certainly there will be people reluctant to change and want to keep driving.

When that first accident with a driverless car happens, I wonder what will happen. It could scare people off. I don't think you can test in a way to make these cars 100% safe. Something unexpected always happens.

I'm all for driverless cars because I hate driving. I'm just not optimistic it'll become mainstream within the next 10-15 years.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
13911 posts
1432 upvotes
Toronto
zoro69 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2016 4:35 pm
Of course self driving will be a boon to disabled, unlicensed, low income who will all get increased access to car use at lower cost. There will be no need for them to own one when one wll just show up on command . Its a big win for society, except those presently involved in driving or car retailing who will go from booming business to nothing very quickly once self driving cars start rolling out. The same way netflix quickly erased $billions in value and piles of jobs from the incumbants
Meh, I don't think so. For liability reasons alone I'd imagine these will still need to have a human being behind the wheel. Black ice and other unexpected scenarios as mentioned above will still need a human hand as well. They'll probably be treated more like aircraft autopilot systems than anything else.

Where they're really going to have an impact is law enforcement. Pretty much every municipality everywhere relies on speeding fines and other automotive lawbreaking to generate revenue. When every car follows the law and the towns see their revenue streams dry up I imagine we'll all be facing some serious bull***** when it comes to new laws designed to extract money from people doing harmless everyday things.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 22, 2005
8430 posts
47 upvotes
Oakville, ON
zoro69 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2016 1:00 pm
You think you know more about the state of autonmous cars then elon musk etc???

""We're going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years," said the billionaire entrepreneur in an interview with Fortune magazine.
Not at all. I actually have no interest in what he says and predicts, I'm only interested in results. Just because he's Elon Musk and makes bold statements doesn't make a whit of difference in the real world.
I don't worship anyone and place no value is a good speech no matter who it is.
zoro69 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2016 1:00 pm
I think we have all the pieces, and it's just about refining those pieces, putting them in place, and making sure they work across a huge number of environments – and then we're done," he added."
Fine. Let's see it then. Words mean nothing and no amount of gabbing will change my mind. I prefer hard facts and tangible results.

Two years seems optimistic and a little braggadocio, but hey I've been wrong once or twice before. I wonder how long it'll be before they are allowed on the streets like regular cars. More than two years from now I should think. A whole new class of road regulations will have to be crafted first.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be wasted.
Red Green