Tags:
None
Jan 25, 2017
52 posts
28 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Apr 27th, 2017 9:03 pm
I work downtown, I see it every day.

People just cross streets and intersections whenever they want. I see people almost get hit crossing most intersections because they don't wait for the advance green and cars almost turn into them.

Toronto, try visiting it some time though...
try looking up the term 'en masse' sometime bud. also the difference between 'some' and 'all'. gangstarr has got it, why can't you? i'm done here.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7343 posts
1057 upvotes
" So if you're skeptical or nervous about the coming age of self-driving cars, consider this incentive: a $20 Uber or Lyft fare could be slashed to $2.

Better yet, it might even be free if the ride provider is, say, a Starbucks autonomous ride-sharing van that's covering the cost of your 40-cent commute by selling you a pricey latte.

And this isn't a vision of the future for today's toddlers, but likely to happen within a decade of the anticipated 2020 rollout of autonomous vehicles.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/new ... 101204980/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7343 posts
1057 upvotes
Interesting predictions here on how fast change is coming between 2020-30

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/05/16 ... mg00000002

"Using economic models based on existing technologies, the report predicts that ride-hailing services will be cheaper than owning a car by 2021.

By that time, ride-hailing will be “four to 10 times cheaper per mile than buying a new car and two to four times cheaper than operating an existing vehicle,” the report says."

"“This could result in total disruption of the car value chain, with car dealers, maintenance and insurance companies suffering almost complete destruction.”

It will become next to impossible to sell a used fossil-fuel car, the report predicted."
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7343 posts
1057 upvotes
collision repair business to decline 50% =

"KPMG projects crash rates could decline by more than 60 percent by 2030 and 80 percent by 2040, which in turn could result in a 50 percent decline in the overall collision repair market within the next 15 years."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 58709.html
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
16271 posts
1738 upvotes
Langley
I've been so interested in this topic in the last couple weeks.

My kid might be in the first generation in a century that grows up not knowing how to drive a car..... they won't have drivers license.

It's all going to happen so quick. Automated cars are already safer, better drivers than humans... there are no major obstacles that can't be overcome in 5 years.

It's facinating to imagine what our world will look like when cars are all automatic and nobody drives.... or even owns a car.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2002
3563 posts
454 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 12:24 pm
It's all going to happen so quick. Automated cars are already safer, better drivers than humans... there are no major obstacles that can't be overcome in 5 years.
They're not:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-thin ... iving-cars

The number of disengagements indicate that they are far from ready and without humans to save them, the Google cars would have had at least 9 accidents which is a much worse rate than the average American's 4.2/million miles.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2009
4503 posts
2240 upvotes
This is still 10-20 years away from being truly disruptive.

And some people like me actually like to drive so I wouldn't go for driverless anyways.
May 2, 2011
736 posts
95 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Everyone keeps talking about it not happening because there are too many variables to consider. What if we started designing the roads to accommodate these vehicles. Example: using the existing HOV lanes to only permit automated vehicles. We can also reduce the lane widths required and fit two lanes of automated vehicles in one lane.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2485 posts
423 upvotes
i6s1 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 12:24 pm
there are no major obstacles that can't be overcome in 5 years.
How about Canadian weather? :)

That's currently the big challenge, extreme weather. Self driving cars do well in sunny California with perfect roads, clean road lines and great visibility.

In theory, it will be safer, but still lots of work to be done so it can actually work for Canadian snow storms, heavy rains, hail, icy roads...

The other piece of the puzzle that will help about is having a smart city infrastructure.
May 2, 2011
736 posts
95 upvotes
Oakville, ON
bhrm wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 3:01 pm
How about Canadian weather? :)

That's currently the big challenge, extreme weather. Self driving cars do well in sunny California with perfect roads, clean road lines and great visibility.

In theory, it will be safer, but still lots of work to be done so it can actually work for Canadian snow storms, heavy rains, hail, icy roads...

The other piece of the puzzle that will help about is having a smart city infrastructure.
They're building a test track in Edmonton so they're definitely thinking about weather impacts.

Edmonton Test Track
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2485 posts
423 upvotes
richuwo11 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 3:54 pm
They're building a test track in Edmonton so they're definitely thinking about weather impacts.

Edmonton Test Track
They also need to teach the AI what to do when a moose approaches.
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13750 posts
9278 upvotes
Toronto
Sanyo wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 1:18 pm

And some people like me actually like to drive so I wouldn't go for driverless anyways.
I can imagine insurance rates will be substantially higher for 'human' operated cars in future.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2485 posts
423 upvotes
sprung wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 4:01 pm
I can imagine insurance rates will be substantially higher for 'human' operated cars in future.
Insurance companies will need to rethink the whole business, especially if the future will be safer.