Politics, Religion & Controversial

Former Ontario PC leader Patrick Brown Megathread - sexual misconduct allegations, CTV lawsuit, not running in election

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2018 3:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
12394 posts
3011 upvotes
Here 'n There
where there's smoke there's fire.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1630 posts
498 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:00 pm
The problem is if he stayed on as leader, he would not have won. The circus distraction is too massive, especially now with the MeToo movement on the news daily, he would have gotten heat from all sides. Public opinion is messed up nowadays, people automatically think what they hear on the news is true and condemn them immediately. He was right to step down until he could get his name clear.
Fair point. But think of the vindication once the truth came out, if he remained in power. He would have been branded as a hero, who did well under real pressure. Ah well.

On a side note, is it me, or is this development not getting as much attention or traction, by the media?
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10641 posts
1271 upvotes
RFD
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:04 pm
Fair point. But think of the vindication once the truth came out, if he remained in power. He would have been branded as a hero, who did well under real pressure. Ah well.

On a side note, is it me, or is this development not getting as much attention or traction, by the media?
You are totally correct that this development is not getting traction by mainstream media. I think it's clear to why...
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
12190 posts
1155 upvotes
Feb 14th, 2018 12:22 pm
I saw that @Mike15 updated this thread, but people don't always look. Also, I think, given the seriousness of what's happened, it deserves its own thread. Mods can overrule me, if they please.

He should have never resigned. Let that be a lesson for those holding high positions. Never resign. It's silly. If they fire you, contractually you are entitled to a relatively good severance package (stock, cash, etc.). But if you quit, not as much.

We really have not evolved that much in retrospect M_I
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5142 posts
652 upvotes
Toronto
Feb 14th, 2018 12:30 pm
If you're at the helm of an organization who loses confidence in you, then they have the ability to dismiss you. I would have stuck it out until they got rid of me. My principle has always been that you fight until the end; no surrender. But that's just me.
I agree to an extent. The story broke out at a convenient time to sabotage him (again, whether guilty or innocent). I think Patrick Brown has too much respect for his party to stick it out like that.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8833 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto
Mike15 wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 11:30 am
CTV's got some 'splaning to do...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/patrick ... -1.3802657

That's kind of a relevant detail to fact-check before going to press. Did she lie to CTV? Did CTV not corroborate that part of the story?

This could end up with Brown getting reelected as MPP. Elliott is open to his return to the fold if he clears these allegations.
CTV is a liberal run corp, of course they would point fingers and blame before fact checking. This me too movement is gone way to far and the people that just blindly follow are just as bad. Humanity is gone to the shits.

EDIT; instead of humanity should we use something a little less 'man'ly?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3291 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
koffey wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:12 pm
CTV is a liberal run corp, of course they would point fingers and blame before fact checking. This me too movement is gone way to far and the people that just blindly follow are just as bad. Humanity is gone to the shits.

The problem is that the press is willing to run just any claim of impropriety without making the slightest effort to verify them. They can say "we're not saying he did it, only that someone is making the allegation" but it is still as damning.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1584 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
Feb 14th, 2018 1:04 pm

its not you.

you are still surprised ? With all the efforts the MSM is putting on making quality propaganda in every evening news ?

The MSM have their "me2" SJW agenda to protect above all else, especially truth, due process and frivolity like century-old legal principles like presumption of innocence.

They dont get branded as Fake News for nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
8833 posts
2859 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:21 pm
The problem is that the press is willing to run just any claim of impropriety without making the slightest effort to verify them. They can say "we're not saying he did it, only that someone is making the allegation" but it is still as damning.
Agreed. The days of real journalism is over. Google, shaming, finger pointing, twitter, facebook, these movements, these are the tools of so called journalists today and its full of lies and deceit. People trying to get attention in a world full of attention whores.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2012
3291 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
qewcool wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:28 pm
its not you.

you are still surprised ? With all the efforts the MSM is putting on making quality propaganda in every evening news ?

The MSM have their "me2" SJW agenda to protect above all else, especially truth, due process and frivolity like century-old legal principles like presumption of innocence.

They dont get branded as Fake News for nothing.
The MSM has an agenda, and that agenda is to attract viewers/readers/listeners. Stories of sexual impropriety do that.

I think that "fake news" actually covers at a spectrum of things. At the top there's "Weekly World News"-type reporting where a writer literally just makes stuff up. It also includes stories where fact-checking and other journalistic standards are not upheld.
Apr 26, 2012
382 posts
13 upvotes
It's Jian Ghomeshi all over again. Brown sounds like he's serious about clearing his name, hiring a private investigator. The truth will come out soon.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1584 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
ConsoleWatcher wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:37 pm
The MSM has an agenda, and that agenda is to attract viewers/readers/listeners. Stories of sexual impropriety do that.

I think that "fake news" actually covers at a spectrum of things. At the top there's "Weekly World News"-type reporting where a writer literally just makes stuff up. It also includes stories where fact-checking and other journalistic standards are not upheld.
Yes of course clicks and $$ is an agenda

But It goes beyond just clicks and $$

Theres a 3rd category :

The most dangerous Fake News is always telling the truth but your version of the truth meaning like OP said some stories/narratives gets hyped and put to the front page and repeated over and over 24h until it is accepted behaviour while others are buried in one phrase of the 5th paragraph or never makes the news at all so that nobody can see it.

For an easy example :
watch CBC evening news or Radio Canada and try to find one night where there is not a fluffy or sob story on either 1) Aboriginals 2) Muslims 3) Illegal Migrants 4) women/feminism/ or 5) sexual harassment/Me2
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
11230 posts
14613 upvotes
From 11:30 News:

TORONTO – A woman who accused former Ontario Progressive Conservative leader Patrick Brown of sexual misconduct now says she wasn’t underage at the time of the alleged incident but stresses it doesn’t change the core of her allegations.

CTV News, which reported the allegations in late January, said in a story late Tuesday that the woman’s timeline of the alleged events has changed but the broadcaster still stands by its reporting.

The woman’s lawyer, David Butt, told CTV it’s not unusual for “collateral details” to fade over time and complainants shouldn’t be blamed because it often takes years for them to find the courage to come forward.

The unnamed woman says in a statement that she has been subject to demeaning and misogynistic comments online since CTV first reported her allegations.

CTV has also reported allegations against Brown from a second woman, who also says she stands by her accusations.

Brown has vowed to disprove the allegations, saying in a Facebook post over the weekend that both women’s accounts contained discrepancies that show their accusations are false.

He also alleged both of the accusers know CTV reporters socially, and that the broadcaster left out a contradicting account from a witness to one of the alleged incidents.

Brown stepped down as Tory leader hours after the allegations, which have not been independently confirmed by The Canadian Press, were made public in late January.
Have a nice day!

Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
1630 posts
498 upvotes
@eldiablo You have an excellent taste in videos. That Monty Python video was gold.

@LonesomeDove I read that too in the article. Thanks for sharing. You'd think a detail like the complainant's age at the material time would be more than a collateral detail.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4854 posts
1491 upvotes
Kingston, ON
koffey wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 1:12 pm

CTV is a division of BellMedia and was for a time in the same ownership group as the Globe and Mail, which endorsed the Conservatives in '06, '08, and '11 during that period. Stephen Harper appointed CTV broadcaster Mike Duffy to the Senate shortly after the 2008 election, along with Pamela Wallin, who was on the board of Bell GlobeMedia at the time. They have a similar track record with provincial politics.

I'm not going to call them Fox News North or anything, but if anything, CTV is and has been centrist or centre-right, corporatist media.

I still don't know whether the timing of this blowing up against Brown was Wynne's team or an 'inside job,' but given the concerns Lisa MacLeod mentioned were brought to party leadership before, and the quickness at which Brown's campaign team abandoned him, the party positioned itself to remove him and call a leadership campaign extremely quickly.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)