Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.

WTF

been happening for the last 2 hours. DoS attack? when running various scans, your sever is not even responding.
Sep 26, 2010
422 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Yep...it's back at it again. I was running two load balancers to split the load and when I saw things returning to normal I stopped traffic to the new one...bad idea.

We've had over 8k people browsing the site before without having these kinds of issues...and we're just barely at 6k right now. The new forums definitely doesn't play as nicely with high database load.

I'm working on researching how moving specific tables has affected other forums installs on high-traffic sites. So far it's looking positive. I may have to take the forums down for half an hour to make that change.
Sep 26, 2010
422 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
andriykoua wrote: 504 Gateway Time-out

The server didn't respond in time.

WTF

been happening for the last 2 hours. DoS attack? when running various scans, your sever is not even responding.
I thought DDoS attack at first, too. This would have been way easier to solve. The # of open connections on the load balancer didn't support that theory, though and I eventually ended up at the database, wondering why I had the max # of connections open from the web servers...all of which were showing their query as "Locked".
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
tylerversion2 wrote: I thought DDoS attack at first, too. This would have been way easier to solve. The # of open connections on the load balancer didn't support that theory, though and I eventually ended up at the database, wondering why I had the max # of connections open from the web servers...all of which were showing their query as "Locked".
holly molly
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
[QUOTE]I thought DDoS attack at first, too. This would have been way easier to solve. The issue lies at the database level where the upgrade has changed some database selects. Sadly, these are taking ever so slightly longer than before and causing lock contention because MySQL's MyISAM engine is kindof crappy when it comes to reading and writing at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Why no Oracle?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
i'm seeing some double posts. could it be related to the update?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
ippon wrote: i'm seeing some double posts. could it be related to the update?
It is, cause I saw some as well.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7125 posts
1801 upvotes
Pretty sure its because of time outs. People press button again causing multiple posts. Happened to me as well... :o

That being said, it no longer gives option of pre-existing post of similar fashion.. Im pretty sure it used to warn about double posting before, however as you can see my double post within same minute gave me no reminder..
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Sep 26, 2010
422 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
^ What mrperfect said.
Sep 26, 2010
422 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
mrperfect wrote: Pretty sure its because of time outs. People press button again causing multiple posts. Happened to me as well... :o

That being said, it no longer gives option of pre-existing post of similar fashion.. Im pretty sure it used to warn about double posting before, however as you can see my double post within same minute gave me no reminder..
I think what's happening is that the DB INSERT for the new post was still in the queue, but the SELECT for previous one runs before the new row is added. As such, two INSERT operations go into the queue with the same content.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14957 posts
2917 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Since the update, the site appears to be either incredibly fast, or it hangs for 30+ seconds. When it works, it's faster than before, which is nice.
I see that too. Honestly, this text editor sucks. Please install a text editor that gets WYSIWYG working on webkit!!!!
Sep 26, 2010
422 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Unfortunately, there was emergency maintenance (as some of you may have noticed) and the forums were down for a little over an hour.

It turns out that somewhere along the way I broke MySQL replication. All is well again, but you may have an issue where the page constantly refreshes. If it's happening to you, go back to the homepage and logout. In about an hour it'll all be fine again. In the meantime you can still browse the forums.

Everything should be good by sunrise...which isn't too far off by the looks of it :|
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
the site keeps refreshing, I loged out and same sht is happening. damn this is annoying.
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Pages keep refreshing while logged in, I cleared cookies and cache, tried IE vs Chrome, same thing is happening while being logged in. When I log out pages stop refreshing.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
I looked at it and knew exactly the source of the problem. ;)
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
11902 posts
1733 upvotes
GVR
Hi everyone,

The upgrade went smoothly and unfortunately it wasn't until hours later that we experienced some performance issues directly related to the upgrade. Rest assured, we are working to iron out the performance issues ASAP. It should already be quite a bit better than last night.

Thank you all for your patience!
Dec 8, 2007
194 posts
409 upvotes
I hope this is the right thread to post.

Since the update, when I sent a PM it shows up in Sent Items but it doesn't in Confirmed/Unconfirmed messages. Schrodinger's PM?

Also, if I go Confirmed/Unconfirmed messages page I can't open any of the old messages (of course the new ones do not exist). How can I be sure that a PM has been sent?
Deal Guru
Jul 30, 2005
12922 posts
106506 upvotes
Richmond Hill
tylerversion2 wrote: Unfortunately, there was emergency maintenance (as some of you may have noticed) and the forums were down for a little over an hour.

It turns out that somewhere along the way I broke MySQL replication. All is well again, but you may have an issue where the page constantly refreshes. If it's happening to you, go back to the homepage and logout. In about an hour it'll all be fine again. In the meantime you can still browse the forums.

Everything should be good by sunrise...which isn't too far off by the looks of it :|
Kaitlyn wrote: Hi everyone,

The upgrade went smoothly and unfortunately it wasn't until hours later that we experienced some performance issues directly related to the upgrade. Rest assured, we are working to iron out the performance issues ASAP. It should already be quite a bit better than last night.

Thank you all for your patience!
MUCH, MUCH better this morning, thanks!

(And noticeably faster than pre-upgrade, too!)
Iv ta'be' Hev SoH, ghobe' Qoy lIj mu'mey, as SoH jaH pa' vo' vetlh tuq joq vetlh veng, shake lItha' the dust vo' lIj qamDu' (translation from the original Klingon: And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet)
Banned
Aug 21, 2011
1286 posts
338 upvotes
witz wrote: I hope this is the right thread to post.

Since the update, when I sent a PM it shows up in Sent Items but it doesn't in Confirmed/Unconfirmed messages. Schrodinger's PM?

Also, if I go Confirmed/Unconfirmed messages page I can't open any of the old messages (of course the new ones do not exist). How can I be sure that a PM has been sent?
I had a new message last night and read and tried to delete it last night but it wouldn't delete, and keep bringing Unread message alerts to every page I visited. Now the message is gone from my inbox, but it still says "(Unread 1)" even still. All the messages in my PM's are read... will this bug fix?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)