[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
doandroids wrote:
Oct 15th, 2016 9:42 pm
I wish I could sort threads: that'd be my #1 request. The app is very barebones, and feels like a stripped down version of the regular app for now. Still, I'll be using it, and it has potential.
For sure, sorting is coming - among a lot of other things!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1339 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
RealJamesRFD wrote:
Sep 30th, 2016 1:53 pm
Finally, the long wait is over!

The Forums App (Beta) is going live today! We’re launching the Android app first, with the iOS app to follow shortly.

This is a native experience for the Forums and although we’re still in Beta we have a ton of features in the pipeline - with regular updates planned. Let us know what you think! Helpful suggestions are always welcome and we’ll do our best to implement the best ideas in a timely manner.

Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rums&hl=en

(Or, search for: "RedFlagDeals Forums" in the Google Play Store on your device)
I think the forums app has alot of potential. I noticed the RFD app now has a link to launch the forums app...

My suggestion isn't directly related to the forums app... as an implementation in the regular RFD app would be fine IMO.. but..

is there a way to get push notifications on my android phone? Both for forum notifications and messages? It would also be nice if the RFD Forums app had an inbox and the messaging features directly in the app.

Likewise, why doesnt the RFD app have something regarding notifications and messages. In order to get to them, you have to actually go to the forums.... It would be more convenient to be able to see them directly from the menu bar. and to receive optional push notifications..
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4337 posts
429 upvotes
The quick reply disappears when I scroll to the very bottom, it reappears if I scroll up a bit.

Will you have a quick way to get to the the sub forums from the Discussion board?

Need a way to go directly to the last post in a thread.

Will you be bringing back the New Posts option?

The new app looks great, much better than the old one.
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
geogolem wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 2:56 pm
I think the forums app has alot of potential. I noticed the RFD app now has a link to launch the forums app...

My suggestion isn't directly related to the forums app... as an implementation in the regular RFD app would be fine IMO.. but..

is there a way to get push notifications on my android phone? Both for forum notifications and messages? It would also be nice if the RFD Forums app had an inbox and the messaging features directly in the app.

Likewise, why doesnt the RFD app have something regarding notifications and messages. In order to get to them, you have to actually go to the forums.... It would be more convenient to be able to see them directly from the menu bar. and to receive optional push notifications..
Hey geogolem,
So push messages should work for the main app and the forums app. Check your notification settings. However for the Main App we only send out push messages for deals that we think people would really enjoy. As for the Forums App, if you subscribe to a thread you're supposed to get a push message when there's an update/reply.

As for your Personal Messages inbox and more push message options/customization, we're working on it now for the Forums app!

Thanks for taking the time to send some feedback!
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blexann wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 8:05 am
The quick reply disappears when I scroll to the very bottom, it reappears if I scroll up a bit.

Will you have a quick way to get to the the sub forums from the Discussion board?

Hey blexann,
- We've got a fix for the Quick Reply bar coming!
- Sub-forums should show up as soon as you select a forum (right at the top of the Thread List). Is it not working for you?
- Navigate to last post. It's there, but we're making it easier to find (if you select the page numbers, there's a scroll bar that you can quickly scrub to the end of the thread with). But we're showing it from the beginning to make it simpler.
- New Posts option? Do you mean, unread icon? If so, it should appear if you're logged in (it's a blue dot to the left of the thread).

Thanks for the feedback!
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4337 posts
429 upvotes
RealJamesRFD wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 9:28 am
blexann wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 8:05 am

Hey blexann,
- We've got a fix for the Quick Reply bar coming!
- Sub-forums should show up as soon as you select a forum (right at the top of the Thread List). Is it not working for you?
- Navigate to last post. It's there, but we're making it easier to find (if you select the page numbers, there's a scroll bar that you can quickly scrub to the end of the thread with). But we're showing it from the beginning to make it simpler.
- New Posts option? Do you mean, unread icon? If so, it should appear if you're logged in (it's a blue dot to the left of the thread).

Thanks for the feedback!
(got everything else...thanks)
I don't do downvotes but feel free to downvote me.👎

"Talent gets you in the door. Character keeps you in the room."
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2012
1339 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
RealJamesRFD wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 9:22 am
geogolem wrote:
Oct 28th, 2016 2:56 pm

Hey geogolem,
So push messages should work for the main app and the forums app. Check your notification settings. However for the Main App we only send out push messages for deals that we think people would really enjoy. As for the Forums App, if you subscribe to a thread you're supposed to get a push message when there's an update/reply.

As for your Personal Messages inbox and more push message options/customization, we're working on it now for the Forums app!

Thanks for taking the time to send some feedback!
OK - I understand and yes I do get those push notificatios from the regular RFD app...

With regards to the Beta forums app - it is my understanding that the subscriptions dont show up in the subscriptions area unless you specifically add the subscription via the app?.... And basically you are saying if the subscriptions are there - we should receive push notifications for them.

Are there plans to have regular RFD forum subscriptions show up in the app. Its kind of weird to have RFD subscriptions from the forums.... and notifications for them on the site etc... and then have an entirely different subscriptions list in the forums app itself....

They really should be one and the same.. subscriptions? Does this make sense?
Feb 24, 2016
50 posts
12 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
We just launched an updated Beta app!

This version allows you to now filter Hot Deals (and other deals forums) by category. We've also implemented some initial improvements to how the pager works.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
geogolem wrote:
Oct 31st, 2016 11:26 am
OK - I understand and yes I do get those push notificatios from the regular RFD app...

With regards to the Beta forums app - it is my understanding that the subscriptions dont show up in the subscriptions area unless you specifically add the subscription via the app?.... And basically you are saying if the subscriptions are there - we should receive push notifications for them.

Are there plans to have regular RFD forum subscriptions show up in the app. Its kind of weird to have RFD subscriptions from the forums.... and notifications for them on the site etc... and then have an entirely different subscriptions list in the forums app itself....

They really should be one and the same.. subscriptions? Does this make sense?
Hey geogolem,
To get back to your question, yes, we're working in syncing the subscriptions from the app and the desktop experience now. Just trying to find the best way to do it!

Thanks for the input!
Feb 24, 2016
50 posts
12 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
We just released a near final version of the app to the Beta store.
  • You can now sort forums by thread start date
  • Support for Android 7.1 with round launcher icon and long press shortcuts
  • The Hot Deals Android home screen widget is back
  • New settings screen (check it soon for notification options)
  • Lots of bugs and performance improvements
Thanks for the continued feedback.
Oct 31, 2013
146 posts
40 upvotes
Toronto
We can't send messages to users within this app. It would be a good idea to click on the name of the member posting and link it to the RFD application straight to the member's profile.
-Throw me a stone and I will build castle-
Feb 24, 2016
50 posts
12 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
We just released the last beta before it becomes public and removes the beta flag.
  • There is now a customizable home experience
  • You can now specify different notification settings (sound, vibrate, and light)
  • New launcher icon without the beta label
Dec 17, 2006
294 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
RFDMobile wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 9:29 am
We just released the last beta before it becomes public and removes the beta flag.
  • There is now a customizable home experience
  • You can now specify different notification settings (sound, vibrate, and light)
  • New launcher icon without the beta label
Any way to default to the hot deals list like it was before?
Feb 24, 2016
50 posts
12 upvotes
Montréal, Québec
cdogg26 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 2:11 pm
Any way to default to the hot deals list like it was before?
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but on Android 7.1's launcher (or third party launcher like Action 3) you can long press on the launcher icon to reveal shortcuts to specific sections. Those shortcuts can also be dragged around and used like a regular launcher icon!
Dec 17, 2006
294 posts
71 upvotes
Calgary
RFDMobile wrote:
Dec 1st, 2016 2:27 pm
Probably not the answer you want to hear, but on Android 7.1's launcher (or third party launcher like Action 3) you can long press on the launcher icon to reveal shortcuts to specific sections. Those shortcuts can also be dragged around and used like a regular launcher icon!
Thanks for the prompt reply. Too bad.