[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Forums App (iOS) Beta - Testers Wanted!

Hey Folks!

We're very close to releasing the first version of the Forums app for iOS - in Beta - and we need some beta testers to join in and take a look.

All are welcome to join just PM me your e-mail (that you use with your Apple account) and you should receive an invite from TestFlight.

All comments are welcome, but helpful and constructive ones are the best!

Happy Testing!

Update: We're always open for more testers!
85 replies
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just sent out the first tester build to those who sent me an email address.
- Sorry for the wait.

Updates will come pretty regularly now however.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey, for those who sent me PM's - Awesome! I'll add you today.

For everyone else, send me a PM with your e-mail -- All are welcome, and we're ALWAYS open for more testers!!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
1560 posts
1045 upvotes
RealJamesRFD wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 1:44 pm
Hey, for those who sent me PM's - Awesome! I'll add you today.

For everyone else, send me a PM with your e-mail -- All are welcome, and we're ALWAYS open for more testers!!
EDIT: all is good, thank you:)
Last edited by Androidmarshmellow on Jan 25th, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 18, 2010
923 posts
242 upvotes
Edmonton
I've been noting some feedback I have for this app, is there a separate thread or somewhere I can submit it?
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Feel free to put up your feedback here for now, thanks!
Aug 18, 2010
923 posts
242 upvotes
Edmonton
Ok! Here is the shorthand of the notes I took about this app (so far at least). If you need more detail or anything feel free to reach out. There are some screenshots too.

The Good:
The speed of the app. I find it much faster to get around then using the previous app.
The feature to swipe right on the topic to go to the first unread or the last post is awesome!

The Broken:
Everything about the profile page, including subscriptions which is important to me

The Possible Improvements that are not critical, but would make things nicer:
-There is always a red dot by the app name. I would like that gone.
-There is no scroll bar on any page so I never know how far I am away from the top post.
-A lot of the deal posts say "Multiple Retailers". This is untrue

Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1912 posts
2294 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
Trav wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 9:19 pm
-A lot of the deal posts say "Multiple Retailers". This is untrue
This also appears on the Android app. From what I can tell, "Multiple Retailers" shows up when the OP does not select/input a retailer in the Retailer field.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@Trav

Thanks for taking the time to send over some comments!

- Glad you like the speed of the app! It's much nicer to have a native version of the Forums on your iPhone!
- As for the Profile, agreed it's busted for a few more days. We're working on syncing the subscriptions and also push notifications for updates to your subscriptions. For the next little bit, if you subscribe in the app you'll see the subscriptions, but not if done elsewhere :(

- As for the "Red Dot" beside the app icon - it's only there because it's Apple's way of showing you it's a TestFlight app (won't happen for real version from the App Store)
- Scroll bar - did you happen to tap on the page number indicator at the bottom of the Thread? You should see a quick nav to jump through the thread. -- Let me know your thoughts.
- Multiple Retailers. Yep that fix should be live now in (build 911).
Jun 12, 2010
658 posts
403 upvotes
Toronto/Santa Monica
Version 911 (and previous): keep getting the red spinning logo when launching the app. It's fixed by closing the app and reopening in IOS.
Aug 18, 2010
923 posts
242 upvotes
Edmonton
RealJamesRFD wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 9:57 am
- Scroll bar - did you happen to tap on the page number indicator at the bottom of the Thread? You should see a quick nav to jump through the thread. -- Let me know your thoughts.
Hah! I must have missed that. Okay so that solves that in the context of viewing a single thread, but this doesn't appear to be a thing on the actual Hot Deals forum. The only context I have for how far down the deals forum I've scrolled is the minutes/hours indicator in grey on the right. I think this is prooobably acceptable. I'm not sure I even want a scroll bar though. So now I've thought further about what it is I actually think I wanted.

I think the UI thing I'm trying to solve is this.

1. Look at a bunch of deals, scroll down a bunch
2. Hit the home button and go on with my life for a bit.
3. Open up this app again and it returns me to where I previously was (which was logical)
4. This is where I want a quick way to go back to the top of the deals list (the freshest deals) and have them refreshed so I have the most up to date content.

To get instantly back to the top I expect either tapping on the "hot deals" tab could do this. Or a refresh button.

Right now I have to scroll all the way back up to the top, then do the (and I'm sorry I don't know the term for this) the pull down and hold movement to refresh the deals page. I just feel its too much movement to do an action that may be in the workflow of many people.

If I'm a special snowflake though and nobody else wants this that is okay :)
Aug 27, 2012
175 posts
57 upvotes
Victoria
The first thing I tried to do in the beta is search for a deal, but I can't find a search function anywhere. Is that not yet implemented or am I blind?

Overall I like what I see otherwise and will report any issues.

Cheers
[OP]
Banned
Mar 24, 2015
121 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto, ON
@mike229
That's a pesky bug that we've been trying to fix for a few weeks - thanks for letting us know it's still in the wild!