Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto

Forums Faster?

Earlier tonight we moved all the images to another server. I'm finding it faster. How about you?
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
3937 posts
139 upvotes
still a little sluggish, just posting this comment takes a while.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Can't really feel the difference, but then I didn't really feel slower speed before (most slowness was due to my internet, not RFD)

But any improvment is welcomed, thanks, Ryan & Admin Teams!
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
2885 posts
45 upvotes
right now my internet is really messed up, so a lot of sites aren't working, like www.xbox.com for example, but this one is working great :) :cheesygri
Jun 8, 2004
572 posts
19 upvotes
Mississauga
I can't say is it faster, but its fast enough. But believe it or not, last couple of days everything is much much faster with IE?!? Something is wrong with firefox, and I don't know what. It takes forever to load images and stuff, but that is topic for Hardware & Software maybe.....
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
Last night was definitely smoother. But it's hard to compare because yesterday morning and afternoon was terribly sluggish. It's been great so far this morning, though. Kudos!
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
39 upvotes
I've notice a bit of faster speeds on longer threads. Forums in general seem to be running smoothly as usual. Posting replies seem to be quicker too.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
I was surprised last night, I didn't receive any time out errors. I also noticed a jump in the speed of the forums, too.

Thanks RFD!
- Absolute
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
It is ridiculously faster here at work. It used to take maybe 30 seconds to load a page and it might take 10 seconds now.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2002
2885 posts
45 upvotes
:!: it seems to be faster now that my net is somewhat back to normal :)
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1396 posts
228 upvotes
Let me put it this way. The difference is like going from a tricycle to a Corvette. :D
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2004
3309 posts
147 upvotes
Ya seems a bit snapper... but using tabs in firefox, means that I don't wait too long once the intial forums opens. I spend my time browsing the headings and ordering up the articles I want in tabs.

Kudo's for firefox
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2004
6348 posts
1610 upvotes
perhaps people in the gta experience faster speeds, but out here in the westcoast, it's not a big significance, but thx for the upgrade
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2004
11150 posts
3859 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I didn't notice this thread, I've replied to an old one:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/showthre ... ost1167952

Please put the style sheet/CSS into a file. This enable us to cache the file, saves bandwidth on both client and server side and also lighten the load on the CPU since there's less data to GZIP/compress
AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Style & Language Settings > Store CSS as a File: Yes
If it doesn't work, CHMOD /clientscript/vbulletin_css to 777

Also make sure that GZIP is set to level 1 and not higher, would only be wasting of CPU for little saving
AdminCP > vBulletin Options > Cookie and HTTP Header settings > Gzip: 1
You may also disable sending no-cache header since it's fairy useless, no browser is able to cache gzipped pages

More tips on speeding up RFD is to install an opcode cacher for PHP: mmCache (If you haven't already)
And upgrade to MySQL4 if you're still running 3.x, the query cache helps :) (make sure to turn it on!)

To save on bandwidth, set the server token to "Prod"(uction) only
Right now, for evey single request, your guys are wasting 90bytes+
Apache vs:
Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/4.3.8 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634a mod_ssl/2.8.19 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
It may sound small, but on a site with such traffic, this can saves quite some bandwidth
Removing the versions may also improve the site security when exploits are found (aka: Obscurity = security :twisted: )

Looking foward to see a faster RFD! :cheesygri
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2003
10476 posts
656 upvotes
New-Brunswick
Did you go back to the old server, it is once again slow as heck and might take 30-45 seconds to open a page.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2001
8460 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto
Nope... it's still fast for me and there are 900+ people online at the moment.
Jan 27, 2004
13 posts
Toronto, ON
The forum is quite fast, I'm impressed.

What kind of hardware setup do you have? Mysql replication across multiple servers or ... ?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2004
1117 posts
160 upvotes
Mississauga
If you guys use proxy you will see the difference

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)