Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17789 posts
854 upvotes

Forums keep forcing me to mobile version on iPad

Hello, not sure what has changed but the site keeps forcing me into mobile mode every single time I come to the forums using the iPad.

On the iPhone the mobile version is desirable but it looks like total crap on the iPad , plus it's more difficult to navigate or even accomplish simple tasks and the pictures don't display within posts.

How do I stop this from happening? It never used to do this until this week
21 replies
Jul 15, 2003
30 posts
11 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
It's happening to me too - thought it was because I'd updated my browser (Mercury), but maybe not. I went to the RFD homepage and chose the desktop version there; once in it seems to stay at the desktop version for the forums too. Still, it's an unnecessary extra step; hope there's a real fix soon.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2993 posts
306 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Jun 19th, 2014 10:54 am
Hello, not sure what has changed but the site keeps forcing me into mobile mode every single time I come to the forums using the iPad.

On the iPhone the mobile version is desirable but it looks like total crap on the iPad , plus it's more difficult to navigate or even accomplish simple tasks and the pictures don't display within posts.

How do I stop this from happening? It never used to do this until this week
+1
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10459 posts
1200 upvotes
Well this complaint has been brought up over and over.

There's a setting in Google Chrome where you can "Request desktop site". That helps keep RFD from reverting back to mobile.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17789 posts
854 upvotes
What are the site admins saying if it's been brought up countless times?

What's the solution?

Again it just reverted to mobile version as I returned to the forums after a couple hours... Frustrating!
Mar 13, 2004
197 posts
53 upvotes
Aldergrove
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jun 19th, 2014 1:12 pm
Well this complaint has been brought up over and over.

There's a setting in Google Chrome where you can "Request desktop site". That helps keep RFD from reverting back to mobile.
But Why does this happen?

And I don't use Chrome - and I have a difficult time fixing the problem that appears every few months.

There must be a code error for this problem to occur after "fixing it".
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10459 posts
1200 upvotes
duckdown wrote:
Jun 19th, 2014 6:53 pm
What are the site admins saying if it's been brought up countless times?

What's the solution?

Again it just reverted to mobile version as I returned to the forums after a couple hours... Frustrating!
They asked what was wrong with the mobile version...

chrome-cell-phone-keeps-reverting-back- ... e-1450144/
dustymisty wrote:
Jun 20th, 2014 1:59 am
But Why does this happen?

And I don't use Chrome - and I have a difficult time fixing the problem that appears every few months.

There must be a code error for this problem to occur after "fixing it".
This option isn't uniquely Chrome. Firefox has it and so does the default internet browser for Android. Safari now has it, but not so obvious:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/06/19 ... ktop-site/
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4830 posts
1313 upvotes
Halifax
Using "request desktop site" would do so for all websites, would it not?

So if you use your ipad on the go and use data, some websites will tear up your data for breakfast.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
17789 posts
854 upvotes
Sigh... It's happening ALL the time now. Surfing this site on the iPad is becoming a huge annoyance. Why is there no option to disable mobile mode in the user preferences?

And even worse, every single time you switch to desktop mode it kicks you out of the thread you were viewing and for some stupid reason reloads on the main forum page instead of staying in the thread

What gives guys?? Mobile mode sucks, at the very least stop forcing iPad into it by default
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
7033 posts
1361 upvotes
Mississauga
Its happening to me too on mobile tablet Google Chrome. It started yesterday. I may be on desktop view on the forums master page, but once I click on a particular thread, it will bring me to mobile version, and it will kick me out of the thread. And every time I select desktop view, it will bring me back to the forums master page.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5805 posts
4034 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
duckdown wrote:
Jun 28th, 2014 9:27 am
Sigh... It's happening ALL the time now. Surfing this site on the iPad is becoming a huge annoyance. Why is there no option to disable mobile mode in the user preferences?

And even worse, every single time you switch to desktop mode it kicks you out of the thread you were viewing and for some stupid reason reloads on the main forum page instead of staying in the thread

What gives guys?? Mobile mode sucks, at the very least stop forcing iPad into it by default
This is exactly what is happening to me on an ipad and used Safari. Annoying for sure.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9603 posts
14434 upvotes
Scarborough
As mentioned in another thread, we'll be changing the default for tablets back to the desktop version. We expect this change to happen when we push our next update live to the site.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3435 posts
453 upvotes
Markham
Thank you. The mobile version is annoying enough on a phone but on a tablet, I don't know anyone who likes it. It feels like you're missing half the site in mobile mode.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
9603 posts
14434 upvotes
Scarborough
The fix for this just went out. The default site for tablets is now back to being the desktop version. :)
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].