• Oct 7th, 2010 1:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto

Forwardit.us - Forwarding service for US deals

Forwardit.us is a service that sends you items from the US. Posts about this service can be found mingled in US deals threads on RFD, but somehow this is not posted in the hot deals section, despite the fact that there are threads about credit cards, ipod skins, that have lasted for years here.

I needed to use this to get alot of parcels from the US. The owner/operator initials are BB. Basically, there are two services. Forwarding: they get all packages addressed to you from anywhere to their warehouse, then package them all together, charge you the COST of shipping the single package + a $6-7 USD fee. There is also a buying service, where BB will use his credit card to make purchases to his address, and then ship them out to you.

The items I wanted to send were extremely valuable and had alot of street value so I was cautious and did some research and got some recommendations for forwardit.us. BB seems to have been doing this for several years and has good reviews on other sites and on RFD.

In the event, the customer service was some of the best I've had. I was very polite and to the point, so YMMV. He answered about half a dozen emails dealing with various concerns I had. I got emails at all days and times of the week. He sent out my items within 24 hours of the order being completed. It was flawless and made a complicated transaction easy.

Pros:
1. Best Service ever, emails within 24 hours, weekends, thanksgiving, again YMMV, be polite.
2. Exactly as described. No surprises.

A few cons:
These relate mostly to the buying service and related fees where you will be sending alot of money around:
1. Since BB is probably dealing with thousands of dollars of currency, he could have some kind of forex service that could seriously reduce my costs. Basically VISA/paypal charges me 2.5% on currency fees. BB could get a wholesale rate much cheaper, say 0.5%. He could charge 1-1.5%, making serious profit and saving his customers money too.
2. BB charged me the same cost UPS/USPS quoted me, but I didn't see or ask for an invoice, so I wonder if he is getting commercial rates. Same with paypal, he charged me 4% for this fee but I know paypal gives wholesale discounts above certain amounts, which I'm sure BB reaches. If true, even a tiny % of my order would give BB profits that dwarf than the 6 USD he ostensibly charged...maybe this is where he makes his profits. I wouldn't blame him since handling my order must have been risky and difficult if something went wrong with it. In any rate, I got a fantastic deal.

Surprisingly few people know about this but I'm sure other RFDers can comment on BB and his services. But this is a game changer for RFDers who are looking at American deals. Many Americans charge NOTHING for USA shipping and arbitrary high fees for Canadians.
67 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2004
4054 posts
89 upvotes
not a hot deal.
axe this.

Sketchy and post seems spammy. Should be under shopping discussion IF even there...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2006
7389 posts
489 upvotes
Vancouver
Another service you can use is GamesForCanada run by someone I know on another forum. Use the custom form button on the front page. He'll use the cheapest shipping option available unless you want more. It's cost + $2 service fee. So for example, I ordered Tales of the World Radiant Mythology from Amazon.com. It was $20 (he has Amazon Prime so free shipping to him) + $3 shipping to Canada + $2 service fee = $25 USD. It was $30 CAD due to conversion.

You can choose your payment option. If you do PayPal funded by a bank account there are no fees attached. Pay in US funds.

It's not restricted to games. You can order anything small. Just don't order large items that will get duty charged.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
lindmar wrote:
Oct 29th, 2008 2:52 pm
not a hot deal.
axe this.

Sketchy and post seems spammy. Should be under shopping discussion IF even there...
Yes, I sympathize, it's hard to understand for you isn't it?

The seller won't lose money on the deal and I wrote the post in complete sentences, two things which normally disquality offers as hot deals. I suggest people who don't know what a forwarding service is ignore this thread and hop on the wagon to the next (and soon be cancelled) price error.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1158 posts
77 upvotes
How are taxes and duty (if any) handled when they forward you a parcel?
Sep 5, 2006
101 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
One question about this service. After they receive all your packages, I presume you had everything shipped to Canada from the USA?

How did u pay for duties, tariffs and taxes?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
I paid for the taxes and duties. They will differ based on the shipping method. If you know what you're doing you can minimize them. I am not BB or involved with the company other than as a customer so I won't get more specific.
Sep 5, 2006
101 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
So I don't really understand this deal. So you can order/forward things that can't normally be ordered from the USA to another location in USA. However, the problem most ppl have is getting the item from the USA to Canada.

Even if this service can forward to Canada, generally speaking, the duties and taxes make it not worthwhile. I once had a $115 package from the USA that had almost $90 of duty and taxes. I just refused shipment and sent it back as that's just insane to pay.

For example, say i wanted to order a tv through amazon.com (since they're way cheaper in the states). Forward.us can get it to an american address then what? How do u get it through customs without paying a fortune. This is why I don't see a deal in using this service.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
hungryboi wrote:
Oct 29th, 2008 7:23 pm
So I don't really understand this deal. So you can order/forward things that can't normally be ordered from the USA to another location in USA. However, the problem most ppl have is getting the item from the USA to Canada.

Even if this service can forward to Canada, generally speaking, the duties and taxes make it not worthwhile. I once had a $115 package from the USA that had almost $90 of duty and taxes. I just refused shipment and sent it back as that's just insane to pay.

For example, say i wanted to order a tv through amazon.com (since they're way cheaper in the states). Forward.us can get it to an american address then what? How do u get it through customs without paying a fortune. This is why I don't see a deal in using this service.
You buy an item from somewhere in the USA, it gets shipped to their warehouse, and they ship it to you in Canada.

For my order, I only paid GST and PST upon delivery. I've never been tariffed or dutied for anything...not sure why you paid 80% of your package. If you ship by fedex ground or UPS ground, you will want to include lubricant in an easily accessible envelope on your package, because their agent will ream you for brokerage fees. Anyways your dilemma is exactly why you should use this service. If you imported your TV correctly and used the right shipping you should only be docked like 15% of its price instead

It's well known Americans get better deals. Cell phone coverage is a good example, but in general, the less competitive market in Canada supports higher prices for many goods. There are some severe examples of this, for example a certain clothing company forbids US companies to ship clothing here so they can maintain their dealers in Canada at much higher prices, to the point where they charge more wholesale to a Canadian dealer than the American dealers charge retail.

Another example is ebay...alot of American sellers just don't care about Canadian buyers so they don't include them at all, or charge huge shipping (because maybe they are worried about international shipping hassles). So you see FREE shipping to USA but Canadians have to pay 50% of the item's value to ship it here.

Other examples are cars, items at amazon.com, amazon.ca doesn't come close...etc.

Hmmm I'm getting too articulate now. I better cut back before I'm charged with shilling.
Sep 30, 2001
27499 posts
6563 upvotes
Toronto
hungryboi wrote:
Oct 29th, 2008 7:23 pm
So I don't really understand this deal.
It's a forwarding service so that you can purchase items from ebay, amazon, etc that otherwise wouldn't ship to Canada. There are quite a few out there. Maybe it doesn't make sense to use this service for say a pack of socks, but if you're after a limited item, or something that isn't available anywhere in Canada then this service starts to look attractive (assuming of course you don't mind paying the fees and possible taxes).

I use a similar service for yahoo japan auctions.

At any rate this isn't a deal. Should have gone in the shopping discussion forum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
MrDisco wrote:
Oct 29th, 2008 7:34 pm
At any rate this isn't a deal. Should have gone in the shopping discussion forum.
Yes, I didn't want to put this in shopping discussion because that's the normal place to discuss such wonderful retailers such as Kaz electronics or the wonderful Futureshop's PSPs.

The proper and respectful way of crapping on the OP is to state a better deal. Do you know of a better forwarder? because I would be interested.
Sep 5, 2006
101 posts
13 upvotes
Vancouver
Ok well I see how this could be useful for someone that doesn't live close to the border to use services from a shipping receiver (i.e - www.tsbshipping.com)

However for those that do, this service has no value then and isn't really a deal correct?

The problem still remains of getting it through customs w/out paying a crapload of fees
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18971 posts
1394 upvotes
I think this is a very informative post but it really belongs in Shopping Discussion where most of these US shopping threads live.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2007
1588 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Oct 29th, 2008 8:01 pm
I think this is a very informative post but it really belongs in Shopping Discussion where most of these US shopping threads live.
And the reason why US shopping threads live here instead of hot deals is because of the lack of a service like this.

I'm disappointed that this thread has been moved out of hot deals, since it offers alot more than one of the damn price error threads. I hoped this would stay up there and become one of those long term threads like the MBNA or staples coupon thread and generate more discussion and feedback. As seen by the posts in this thread, alot of people don't know the value of such a service. Even failed deals for example Brick's VIP event that get crapped on get to stay there.

Lesson learned tho. If I was trying to sell this I failed. I could have sold it better by saying it was the best forwarding service, cheap rates, giving comparisons and real world case by case example and numbers, etc. But I feel comfortable blaming RFDers who only understand a deal when they see a number beside it.

So...back to lurking.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)