Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4879 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario

Foscam FI9821W remote setup HELP

I feel like an idiot, I've done this in the past but I can't get this to work. I have my Foscam FI9821W v2.1 working locally but I want to access it from outside my network using the DDNS provided by Foscam.

I need one of you wonderful experts to walk me through this. Here's what I have going:

In my camera setup:
- IP Configuration: Obtain IP From DHCP is unchecked, IP address set to 192.168.1.180, Gateway, Primary DNS and Secondary DNS set to 192.168.1.1
- DDNS: Enable DDNS checked, using the default xxxxx.myfoscam.org
- UPnP: enabled
- Port: HTTP: 88, HTTPS: 443

Under the Foscam device status it says:
- NTP Status: Success
- DDNS Status: Success xxxxx.myfoscam.org:88
- UPnP Status: Success

In my router (Asus RT-N66U):
- Virtual Server / Port Forwarding - empty
- DDNS: Disabled
- UPnP: Enabled

I can connect to the IP address of the camera: 198.168.1.180:88
I can't connect to it via xxxxx.myfoscam.org:88
When I type in xxxx.myfoscam.org (no port specified) it goes to my router login page

What I am doing wrong?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
You have to set up port forwarding in your router to forward port 88 to the camera at 192.168.1.180 when accessing from the WAN side.

If you have UPnP enabled on the router, and the camera supports it, the camera may be able to set up its own port forwarding, but you probably don't want to rely on that if I'm trying to diagnose a problem.

There may be another problem for your testing though: some routers don't support loopback NAT, which means that they can't access their own WAN address from within the LAN. So when you access xxx.myfoscam.org, it is correctly being converted to your WAN IP address by DNS lookup, but your router doesn't know how to access its own WAN address. It only works for remote access when you are outside your own LAN. The Actiontec routers used by many DSL ISPs have this problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4879 posts
2787 upvotes
Ontario
JamesA1 wrote: You have to set up port forwarding in your router to forward port 88 to the camera at 192.168.1.180 when accessing from the WAN side.

If you have UPnP enabled on the router, and the camera supports it, the camera may be able to set up its own port forwarding, but you probably don't want to rely on that if I'm trying to diagnose a problem.

There may be another problem for your testing though: some routers don't support loopback NAT, which means that they can't access their own WAN address from within the LAN. So when you access xxx.myfoscam.org, it is correctly being converted to your WAN IP address by DNS lookup, but your router doesn't know how to access its own WAN address. It only works for remote access when you are outside your own LAN. The Actiontec routers used by many DSL ISPs have this problem.
Okay so, port range 88, IP 192.168.1.180, local port 88, protocol TCP?

/EDIT: you god damn genius. Thank you, it worked setting up port forwarding.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
Slawek wrote: When I type in xxxx.myfoscam.org (no port specified) it goes to my router login page
Unless you have a need to access the configuration of your router from outside your home I suggest you turn off that access for security reasons. Under the "System" tab on the "Administration" page is an option to "Enable Web Access From WAN". Turn that off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)