Personal Finance

Fostering 2 nephews... any financial support out there?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2012 2:43 pm
Tags:
None
May 20, 2010
801 posts
118 upvotes

Fostering 2 nephews... any financial support out there?

So I'm writing to ask a question on my brothers behalf.

My sister in law's sister passed away a couple years ago - and the father recently has been deemed unfit to care for their 2 boys (aged 6 and 4) for at least the next 6 months at which point he'll need to prove he's cleaned up his act. So my brother and SIL will be taking custody of the kids for at least that long. They already have 3 kids of their own under the age of 6.... my SIL is a stay at home mom, so she'll be able to look after them, but financially it's going to be tough.... Any one know of what kind of funding they can qualify for? And where to apply for it?

Any other advice?

Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Guru
May 25, 2011
10105 posts
14411 upvotes
There are likely provincial variations.
Certainly you get the Universal Child Tax.

You may not be entitled to anything special but the best place to find out is children's services - just call them.
Oct 10, 2011
200 posts
11 upvotes
SHERWOOD PARK
In AB we fostered our nephew for a year and they have a program called Kinship Care ... it's through social services and it's their preferred alternative to foster care, took a bit but was worth it.
May 20, 2010
801 posts
118 upvotes
Kids are coming from BC, and my brother is currently in SK - new resident though - previously in AB.... I'll see if they have something similiar to Kinship Care.

Edit - looks like both BC and Sask do have kinship care - wonder which they'd apply to....
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
OP, congrats on this decision to take care of these two small boys.
Aug 18, 2004
307 posts
37 upvotes
Offspring22 wrote: Kids are coming from BC, and my brother is currently in SK - new resident though - previously in AB.... I'll see if they have something similiar to Kinship Care.

Edit - looks like both BC and Sask do have kinship care - wonder which they'd apply to....
If you go through BC, look into restricted foster care home. That`s the program that helps when family or close friends foster for families who are unable to do so for themselves.
Oct 10, 2011
200 posts
11 upvotes
SHERWOOD PARK
If memory serves me correctly I think the care agency would be from BC, but they would have a SK agency oversee it on their behalf. In our case SK did the funding and the monitoring but we could have had AB services monitor it ..... then again I could be completely off my rocker when it comes to memory! Pass on our wishes to the 2 boys and your SIL's family, it's a tough haul but worth it in the long run. And have a very merry Christmas!