Fashion & Apparel

Found a great seamstress for hemming jeans and pants for cheap in Toronto/Scarborough

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 1:36 am
[OP]
May 27, 2004
947 posts
169 upvotes

Found a great seamstress for hemming jeans and pants for cheap in Toronto/Scarborough

I don't usually post these sorts of threads, but I had alot of jeans and dress pants that needed to be hemmed and altered and I had problems finding somebody who could do this well and for cheap.
I had about 7 pairs of dress pants and 4 pairs of jeans and also a dress shirt that needed the sleeves shortened. (They had accumulated over the last couple of Winner's Final Clearance sales, so I needed to do something about them).

I looked on Kijiji and Craigslist and found a really nice seamstress. She advertises at $4/pair hemmed.
So I sent her a text message and got an immediate response.

Long story short. She has about 26 years experience, and works out of her home which is off of Brimley Rd and the 401, not too far from the Scarborough Town Centre.

I dropped them off on Wednesday night and came back on Friday night to pick them up.
Was very pleased with the results. Great work, great price.

Here is what I paid:

6 pairs of dress pants - $4 each
1 pair of golf dress pants - $7 because I got them with the Golf slit at the bottom (I think it's called a Golf V cut or golfers cut). She did a great job with this one.
4 pairs of jeans - $4 each. I didn't like how she said there is something called a 'european hem' which is $7. I stuck with the $4 hem and find it perfectly fine, so far.
1 dress shirt - $10. This was a beautiful Corneliani french-cuff dress shirt I bought from a Winner's clearance, but the sleeves were too long. She seriously did an awesome job shortening the sleeves, cuff et all were perfectly intact.

For the price and quality, I couldn't find a better deal. The only weird/awkward part is that her living room is her sewing area, so to try on your clothes you have to walk up a few stairs to change in the bathroom.
But this is RFD, so it's a small price to pay for the savings you get.

She is of Malaysian descent and used to live in Mississauga and says she has alot of experience with women's Indian suits/dresses for those who need that.
Based on my experience I would probably bring a suit to be altered to her as well.

Her contact information:

Caroline Lee
Custom Tailoring

Scarborough, ON M1K 3L4

647.988.2458 (call or text)
32 replies
Banned
Nov 22, 2012
210 posts
13 upvotes
Mississauga
thanks! i've been wanting and finding a good tailor to hem my jeans. i'll probably drop by tmr and see if she can do my pants
Apr 20, 2008
548 posts
wow thanks! i'm actually gonna give her a call and see if she can install my custom leather wheel cover LOL!!!
Jan 15, 2007
936 posts
6 upvotes
Richmond Hill
pakmode wrote:
Jan 11th, 2013 6:10 pm
I don't usually post these sorts of threads, but I had alot of jeans and dress pants that needed to be hemmed and altered and I had problems finding somebody who could do this well and for cheap.
I had about 7 pairs of dress pants and 4 pairs of jeans and also a dress shirt that needed the sleeves shortened. (They had accumulated over the last couple of Winner's Final Clearance sales, so I needed to do something about them).

I looked on Kijiji and Craigslist and found a really nice seamstress. She advertises at $4/pair hemmed.
So I sent her a text message and got an immediate response.

Long story short. She has about 26 years experience, and works out of her home which is off of Brimley Rd and the 401, not too far from the Scarborough Town Centre.

I dropped them off on Wednesday night and came back on Friday night to pick them up.
Was very pleased with the results. Great work, great price.

Here is what I paid:

6 pairs of dress pants - $4 each
1 pair of golf dress pants - $7 because I got them with the Golf slit at the bottom (I think it's called a Golf V cut or golfers cut). She did a great job with this one.
4 pairs of jeans - $4 each. I didn't like how she said there is something called a 'european hem' which is $7. I stuck with the $4 hem and find it perfectly fine, so far.
1 dress shirt - $10. This was a beautiful Corneliani french-cuff dress shirt I bought from a Winner's clearance, but the sleeves were too long. She seriously did an awesome job shortening the sleeves, cuff et all were perfectly intact.

For the price and quality, I couldn't find a better deal. The only weird/awkward part is that her living room is her sewing area, so to try on your clothes you have to walk up a few stairs to change in the bathroom.
But this is RFD, so it's a small price to pay for the savings you get.

She is of Malaysian descent and used to live in Mississauga and says she has alot of experience with women's Indian suits/dresses for those who need that.
Based on my experience I would probably bring a suit to be altered to her as well.

Her contact information:

Caroline Lee
Custom Tailoring

Scarborough, ON M1K 3L4

647.988.2458 (call or text)
im sorry , but what didnt you like about her mentioning this? its pretty common practice that any tailor doing hems will ask if you prefer euro or not.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
2799 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
nsX- wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 4:27 am
im sorry , but what didnt you like about her mentioning this? its pretty common practice that any tailor doing hems will ask if you prefer euro or not.
Yep, this for sure. Euro hem is where they take and re-sew the original hem on the jeans hence it costing more money as it's harder to do. Regular hem they just cut and re-hem, so it's a pretty generic look. For basic jeans they're fine, but if you get designer or anything then euro is best.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2007
3947 posts
481 upvotes
Anyone know of a similarly priced place in the west end?
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2006
1725 posts
176 upvotes
Chrispy wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 6:50 pm
Yep, this for sure. Euro hem is where they take and re-sew the original hem on the jeans hence it costing more money as it's harder to do. Regular hem they just cut and re-hem, so it's a pretty generic look. For basic jeans they're fine, but if you get designer or anything then euro is best.
Agree, I get all my jeans euro hem unless youre buying a cheap pair of jeans it doesn't matter.

I go to this guy in Newmarket he does the job well been going to him for years. On Yonge and Mulock in the Mandarin Plaza.
[OP]
May 27, 2004
947 posts
169 upvotes
nsX- wrote:
Jul 15th, 2013 4:27 am
6 month old thread - has anyone else been to see her?
When I dropped off more stuff a month ago, she said like 15-20 people had been there to visit her and mentioned RFD - yet no comments?

Anyways, the euro hem is easier at times, there is a technique I saw that seems easy. That's why at that point in time I mentioned this.
http://www.daciaray.com/?p=38

Regardless, I'm pleased with her work, and her price. She's gotten busier so the turnaround time was a bit longer the last time. But she said it was wedding season, so that's why.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2010
1276 posts
46 upvotes
Aurora
cns187 wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2013 10:03 pm
Agree, I get all my jeans euro hem unless youre buying a cheap pair of jeans it doesn't matter.

I go to this guy in Newmarket he does the job well been going to him for years. On Yonge and Mulock in the Mandarin Plaza.
Hey I live in the area, looking to get a bunch of designer jeans hemmed. What is this place you're referring to called, and how much is a euro hem? Send you a PM also.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6784 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Updated bump.

Found this thread and called the number posted by the OP. She has moved over to Don Mills/McNicoll area and prices remain the same. She asked whom referred me and I mentioned RFD and she said she had a few members come by last year.

Its slightly busy time of the year for her as its wedding season, but i had 7 items (several jeans, jackets and blazers ) dropped off and it was done within a week.

WOuld recommend if anyone is around the area or looking for work needed to be done for cheap.
Jul 29, 2006
620 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Hey PCD.....what kind of alternations did you get done on the blazers and what did it cost you?

I am looking for someone to take in some sleeves of the jacket and take in the legs of the trousers. Its an old suit that I am trying to get more use out of and dont want to spend too much. Thanks
....life needs more green lights.
Aug 24, 2014
335 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Euro hem is much easier IMHO. I have done it in the past with no experience. Its because the tabs are outwards more so you can flatten it and stitch it much easier with a sewing machine than to just cut and sew.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6784 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
6up wrote:
Jun 25th, 2014 3:23 pm
Hey PCD.....what kind of alternations did you get done on the blazers and what did it cost you?

I am looking for someone to take in some sleeves of the jacket and take in the legs of the trousers. Its an old suit that I am trying to get more use out of and dont want to spend too much. Thanks
I had the sleeves shorten on the blazer. She removed the buttons to shorten the sleeve and reattached them. I had another jacket that she shortened and also made the arm sleeve less baggy by taking it in.

It was slightly over $10 for the work on the blazer.

You can call her to get a quote as she will give you pricing on the phone.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11024 posts
1522 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Is payment made in cash? Are taxes charged?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.