Cell Phones

Found locked iphone, how do I return it?

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2020 7:03 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2924 posts
1908 upvotes
Moon
if its iOS 8 then it will be locked and u wont be able to activate it unless u have the itunes password on the phone, unless ofc unless he turned that feature off.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
BlueMax wrote: yeesh, more than a day later and still no response... is there any chance I can use this as a phone for myself? A 5C isn't cheap! Some groups have said a phone in this situation is bricked, others say you can use it as an ipod, others say you can zap/unlock it and use it with a new SIM card... I'm beginning to think I got lucky here. I'm just surprised the kid who lost it gave up so quickly!
If is a kid / Teenager . Then reason to not contact you, is because he/she now have a reason to ask parents for new phone. Probably iPhone 6!!
probably lost it on purpose LOL
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2012
1135 posts
290 upvotes
Mississauga
Maybe it was a stolen phone from the start the someone couldn't get into and dumped it. Weird to not have the owner calling and texting etc non stop.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
shmogt wrote: Maybe it was a stolen phone from the start the someone couldn't get into and dumped it. Weird to not have the owner calling and texting etc non stop.
Probably. All the guides say this thing is locked up for good and I don't have a cable for the dead battery. Tried taking it to a Telus store tonight but was surprised it's no longer in the mall. Will have to try another place on my way to work or something.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
HowEver wrote: The answer remains: return it to an Apple store if you can. That worked for me.
It's only a 90 minute drive... :mad:
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
26216 posts
39767 upvotes
Toronto
BlueMax wrote: It's only a 90 minute drive... :mad:
Contact Apple and ask for a prepaid shipping label. They should be able to send you one and you can have phone sent back to them at no charge.

That being said, you've jumped through many hoops already. Sounds like the owner isn't interested in getting it back. Like others have said, try a full reset from Itunes and keep it for yourself if you want.
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Cars ruin cities
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
sprung wrote: Contact Apple and ask for a prepaid shipping label. They should be able to send you one and you can have phone sent back to them at no charge.

That being said, you've jumped through many hoops already. Sounds like the owner isn't interested in getting it back. Like others have said, try a full reset from Itunes and keep it for yourself if you want.
That won't help if it's activation locked with an appleid(the reset).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1311 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ceredon wrote: That won't help if it's activation locked with an appleid(the reset).
We don't know if it has iCloud activation lock.
We only know that it's password locked with 4 digit password which is bypassed in the event of wiping the phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
put it on CL or KJ $$$profit
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
Almost 5 years later, @BlueMax what did you end up doing? A tech challenged friend found an iPhone this weekend and is debating what to do as well.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
2522 posts
1433 upvotes
Toronto
I think this wins the prize for the oldest revived thread. Congratulations!

I found cell phones a few times myself. I always charge them and leave them powered up. Eventually the person who lost it will call or text it. If they don’t, I would check which provider it is tied to and ask them to locate the owner by SIM card # or IMEI. But never had to do do that yet.
Celebrating 21+ years on RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
We've had 8-year old threads revived, but in general the posts haven't been worth reviving a thread for as the topic has long since been irrelevant. In this case though, it actually is!

Apple store or carrier is the best way to do this, although if you want to wait a few days to see if the owner calls it, that sometimes works as well.
Banned
Aug 11, 2018
996 posts
928 upvotes
MrMom wrote: Almost 5 years later, @BlueMax what did you end up doing? A tech challenged friend found an iPhone this weekend and is debating what to do as well.
try to activate siri (hold home button or power button) and say "call home/dad/mom/or any common name"
Deal Guru
Aug 17, 2008
10990 posts
13540 upvotes
My friend is an Android user, so I charged the iPhone and called the owner, who was able to leave the message below. I tried to leave the phone at an Apple Store, but Apple has a policy of not taking phones. I had to leave another message that the phone was at the mall security desk.
Images
  • image0 - Copy.jpeg
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him = Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level & beat you with experience
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1659 posts
1227 upvotes
London, On
I just asked Siri who owns my phone and it popped up with my wife's info. Well played Siri lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2001
5662 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary
Nothing I could ever do with it or any of the locked phones I've found over the years. ;) Recycled the lot of 'em since no one ever claimed them.
NECROMANCER! :)