• May 27th, 2008 12:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2005
1201 posts
663 upvotes

Found a Samsung phone.. what to do?

My dad actually found this phone on the ground about half a year ago but just stashed it in his glove compartment and forgot about it, and I found it while going through the compartment today.

It is a Samsung SGH-D807, that has 'Rogers' written on the front and after taking out the battery, has a Fido sim card.

What do I do with this piece of metal? After 6 months, it obviously won't turn on, and I'm not going to buy a charger for it.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
11979 posts
3170 upvotes
Edmonton
Call Fido up and tell them you found a lost phone. They can id the customer and will be able to arrange for you to turn the phone into them if they are still with fido.

They probably won't give you the customer info either.

If you are really not interested in returning in to the owner, put it in an electronics recycling bin.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2005
2477 posts
227 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a GSM phone, try inserting the SIM card. Look for contacts on the phone to see if you can get a hold of the owner. However, since 6 months have passed, I would assume that the owner would have canceled his phone/sim.

You could also call Fido by dialling 6-1-1 to ask them to deactivate it...
Banned
Mar 3, 2008
171 posts
guys ... it's a rogers phone ... not a fido phone

so call rogers instead of fido
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
rogers phone, but fido sim - most likely a fido customer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2003
7174 posts
217 upvotes
Nepean
vi3t wrote: guys ... it's a rogers phone ... not a fido phone

so call rogers instead of fido
fido sim card

unlocked rogers phone
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4378 posts
1597 upvotes
TenzoR wrote: fido sim card

unlocked rogers phone
the phone was unlocked to used to with a fido sim... so really no point in calling fido... i'd check to see if the sim it's still active... if it is... find the magic "home" number... call them and return.

if the sim expired... you can use it.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2007
1437 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto, ON
who knows your phone might ring ... :razz:
One of the happiest moments in life . . .
"is when you find the courage to let go of what you can't change"
Dec 31, 1969
The right thing to do would be to just get in contact with the owner of the phone.

However, what you could do if you want is you could just use it or sell it "as is". This is another option, but if its been 6 months already chances are the phone has been replaced.
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
If its a fido sim card, you can easily have the phones owner contacted by contacting fido and giving them the information. they will do the rest of the work to contact the owner of the fido SIM and tell him his SIM card AND phone were recoered and where to pick it up. Same can be said if it was a ROGERS sim in an unlocked FIDO handset. or Gray Market handset.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
to be honest, id just keep the phone.

no, i am not the type of guy who keeps phones.
i use taxis a lot (3-4 times per week) so i found a lot of phones in the past and returned every single one of them by calling home or mom or dad. i also never tell the taxi driver as i know that there is a 99% chance they will keep it.

i just take it, and contact the owner.
anyways, back to the subject.

if i were you i would keep the phone. and reason to that is i think the owner of the phone might not be happy that somebody found a phone, and forgot about it for half a year.

i know i won't be...unless it's really expensive phone, i would be thankful for trying to return it.

but if somebody called me half a year later and told me they have my phone i'd be pissed for being irresponsible enough to forget that you found a phone.
also, how your dad hasn't looked into the glove compartment for half a year is beyond me
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4378 posts
1597 upvotes
lulz is right.... and after 6 months, the person has probably either gotten a new phone or cancelled.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2008
1106 posts
39 upvotes
These situations tend to be in the grey zone, as you can get criticized for either giving it back, or keeping it.

My general rule of thumb to avoid these kind of quirky situations is to simply leave it there, unless of course you are absolutely certain that you will not forget to return the item promptly. (even then, sometimes being the good guy can backfire at you, not because you did something wrong, but because its hard to trust strangers)

Believe it or not, I once found a wallet lying on the ground, and brought it back to its owner (within a day) and she ended up accusing me of stealing the 20 bucks that was inside it. (hell, I can even bet that some of YOU guys will think I did too)
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
4378 posts
1597 upvotes
wow... that's too bad. i did find a wallet at school... it was loaded with money but since it was on university campus... i just couldn't find myself taking the money. I ended up taking it to the campus police. At least, that way they can't accuse me of taking money.