Off Topic

The foundation of our society is unsustainable

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2019 9:18 pm
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2018
419 posts
402 upvotes

The foundation of our society is unsustainable

It is quite stunning when one thinks about it. That this simple Truth is not more present in the mind of people on this planet.

Our whole system of existence is based on the premise of an ever growing population. But there is only so many people this planet can accommodate. Passed a certain point, we reach an imbalance that needs to be corrected.

A preoccupation with the climatic conditions will not solve the issue of unbridled procreation. We are walking a path of self-annihilation. We should examine the foundation on which we have built this world. There lies your salvation.
Thought of the day: Being incarnated into a physical body is not a prerequisite to living.
60 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
5598 posts
726 upvotes
Scarborough
Why do humans have to play God?
HE sends people in this world, HE will ensure there’s enough resources....
There is simply no way for a human to even try to calculate Gods unlimited resources
Member
Feb 16, 2018
482 posts
418 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:13 am
It is quite stunning when one thinks about it. That this simple Truth is not more present in the mind of people on this planet.

Our whole system of existence is based on the premise of an ever growing population. But there is only so many people this planet can accommodate. Passed a certain point, we reach an imbalance that needs to be corrected.

A preoccupation with the climatic conditions will not solve the issue of unbridled procreation. We are walking a path of self-annihilation. We should examine the foundation on which we have built this world. There lies your salvation.
Isn’t this the plot of more than a few movies?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22510 posts
2630 upvotes
Montreal
Economists need to know how to subtract?


Noticed you capitalized the "T" in truth. Hubris?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 9, 2007
11154 posts
5995 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
and THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2018
419 posts
402 upvotes
apnayloags wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:57 am
Why do humans have to play God?
HE sends people in this world, HE will ensure there’s enough resources....
There is simply no way for a human to even try to calculate Gods unlimited resources
Have you met "God"? How do you know your assumption has any merits? Your assumption is nothing more than a "belief". Many beliefs are far from the Truth.

Life isn't about having enough resources, but about Evolution.
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 7:55 am
and THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!
And THINK ABOUT THE ADULTS who behave and reason like children.
Thought of the day: Being incarnated into a physical body is not a prerequisite to living.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8607 posts
3030 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:57 am
Why do humans have to play God?
HE sends people in this world, HE will ensure there’s enough resources....
There is simply no way for a human to even try to calculate Gods unlimited resources
Zeus has provided all those who are made in his image with unlimited and never ending pristine resources. anyone who disagrees will be in for quite the shock with a lightning bolt up the back side.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
10283 posts
10408 upvotes
Tom, get some fresh air, go for a walk. Meet some people. Start a business.

Get out of your own head.

Bless.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
17291 posts
2796 upvotes
Toronto
apnayloags wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 6:57 am
Why do humans have to play God?
HE sends people in this world, HE will ensure there’s enough resources....
There is simply no way for a human to even try to calculate Gods unlimited resources
If this is true, why are there poor people? Why aren't universities free? And the TTC? And anything else people want? Why do religious institutions still ask for money? Why couldn't I have a dodo-egg omelet this morning while playing my ivory-keyed piano and basking in the glow of my whale oil lamp?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 30, 2010
2401 posts
278 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:56 am
If this is true, why are there poor people? Why aren't universities free? And the TTC? And anything else people want?
If you want to get into scripture:
Deuteronomy 15:11 (NCV) There will always be poor people in the land, so I command you to give freely to your neighbors and to the poor and needy in your land.
In my interpretation, God either:

a) knew that there would always be poor people because of the way the world was (He allowed evil to tempt humans, etc...)
b) intended it as a way to see how good/bad people can be

Either way, I always thought it was dumb to imagine that God will provide for everyone in the world (hundreds of thousands starving to death every day), as well as dumb to think that he controls everything and makes all good and bad things happen.

If you want to imagine that God created the earth, then I think it was more of a:

1. Creates Earth, then
2. Leaves us to our own devices, almost completely.
[OP]
Member
Feb 11, 2018
419 posts
402 upvotes
In a society where Money is your God and consumption is your reason for existing, only fools believe this can last forever.
Thought of the day: Being incarnated into a physical body is not a prerequisite to living.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
3629 posts
1080 upvotes
Parry Sound
TomLafinsky wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:13 am
Our whole system of existence is based on the premise of an ever growing population.
You are wrong.

Also, the world has plenty of resources for its current inhabitants. The issue is distribution and exploitation. You can mostly blame capitalists for that.

You know what's unsustainable? Corporations trying to gain growth every single quarter to make their external shareholders more profits.

There's only so long that this can last. Hopefully change happens long before we get more bullshit trillion dollar valuations and even worse income inequality.

Both billionaires and companies with trillion dollar valuations are nothing but policy issues. These things should not exist in the first place.

The only system that needs change is our economic one.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8607 posts
3030 upvotes
Toronto
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 11:02 am
If you want to get into scripture:
Deuteronomy 15:11 (NCV) There will always be poor people in the land, so I command you to give freely to your neighbors and to the poor and needy in your land.
socialist

since we're going old school i particularly enjoy this passage from the "good book"
Deuteronomy 22:13-21 New International Version (NIV)
Marriage Violations
13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[a] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.

Top