The foundation of our society is unsustainable

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2019 3:13 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2036 posts
675 upvotes
Winnipeg
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4511 posts
161 upvotes
Austin/Markham
MayorOfToronto wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 12:37 pm
You are wrong.

Also, the world has plenty of resources for its current inhabitants. The issue is distribution and exploitation. You can mostly blame capitalists for that.

You know what's unsustainable? Corporations trying to gain growth every single quarter to make their external shareholders more profits.

There's only so long that this can last. Hopefully change happens long before we get more bullshit trillion dollar valuations and even worse income inequality.

Both billionaires and companies with trillion dollar valuations are nothing but policy issues. These things should not exist in the first place.

The only system that needs change is our economic one.
+1

I read some statistic that everyone in the world could stand on the island of PEI., granted that was 10 years ago.
The sun is going to burn out in 5 billion years, so what's the point of life? Obviously that's silly because its so far away its not really a concern for any of us.

The population growth rate is flat lining for almost every single country (ignoring Africa). Earth gets enough solar rays in a day to power the world for A YEAR. There's enough water being poured into the ocean in Canada to provide water for everyone.

Things are great and keep getting better with advancements in tech and robotics.

I've been to Asia, and travelled through north america and there's tons of empty spaces everywhere, plenty of room for growth. I think humanity is just getting started, the next 200 years should be amazing assuming we rectify climate change.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2036 posts
675 upvotes
Winnipeg
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1608 posts
1090 upvotes
Canada
TomLafinsky wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 2:13 am
It is quite stunning when one thinks about it. That this simple Truth is not more present in the mind of people on this planet.

Our whole system of existence is based on the premise of an ever growing population. But there is only so many people this planet can accommodate. Passed a certain point, we reach an imbalance that needs to be corrected.

A preoccupation with the climatic conditions will not solve the issue of unbridled procreation. We are walking a path of self-annihilation. We should examine the foundation on which we have built this world. There lies your salvation.
Then maybe you should be the first doing it?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2036 posts
675 upvotes
Winnipeg
Read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8678 posts
3079 upvotes
Toronto
LeisureSuitL wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 1:01 pm
haha.

I never said to follow it, I'm just providing a tongue-in-cheek response to the idea that God created everything and nobody should be poor.

Most of the bible I believe is nonsense.
my previous comment about Zeus was tongue in cheek as well...or is that lightning bolt in back side?
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4794 posts
337 upvotes
Ancaster
TomLafinsky wrote:
It is quite stunning when one thinks about it. That this simple Truth is not more present in the mind of people on this planet.

Our whole system of existence is based on the premise of an ever growing population. But there is only so many people this planet can accommodate. Passed a certain point, we reach an imbalance that needs to be corrected.

A preoccupation with the climatic conditions will not solve the issue of unbridled procreation. We are walking a path of self-annihilation. We should examine the foundation on which we have built this world. There lies your salvation.
Reality is often disappointing.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17113 posts
682 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
If TOM is so obsessed with the idea that the world is overpopulated, why doesn't he set an example for the rest of us to follow? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2488 posts
732 upvotes
Woodbridge
TomLafinsky wrote:
Let's assume that your premise is correct. How would this lead to self-annihilation? If anything, we'd get to a point where the world's population remains relatively stable with small self-correcting rises and falls around the point of maximum sustainability.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
6672 posts
1614 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
konfusion666 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 7:09 pm
If TOM is so obsessed with the idea that the world is overpopulated, why doesn't he set an example for the rest of us to follow? Face With Tears Of Joy
It’s like the weather. Everybody talks about it but nobody does anything about it. :)
Earthlings, you're evicted.
You are not getting the damage deposit back.

God
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
22869 posts
2696 upvotes
Montreal
Mr Bean wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 1:51 pm
Read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
Highly recommended reading.
Nov 6, 2015
711 posts
312 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Western society birthrate is already at the point where without immigration most of their populations would be declining. The same is already starting to happen in China and India as their citizens continue to move from rural to urban life. If the trend continues the overall human population will actually start to decline.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8738 posts
1268 upvotes
Victoria
JoeBlack23 wrote:
Sep 12th, 2019 12:47 am
Western society birthrate is already at the point where without immigration most of their populations would be declining. The same is already starting to happen in China and India as their citizens continue to move from rural to urban life. If the trend continues the overall human population will actually start to decline.
Someone posted projection reports which basically say the same thing. Population increase of the planet is currently 2% and estimated to be close to .2% by 2100. Problem being when you have 7 billion people 2% to .2% increases compounding is still adding a craptonne more people over the decades. Resulting in a population of 9 billion by the year 2100.

I'm not even sure the Earth, as it currently stands can support the current population, let alone 9 billion by 2100. My gut tells me, we keep going until we can't. Once the humanity gets past the point of maxing out the Earth's resources (or severely damaging the environment), then the population is going to end up decreasing one way or the other. Probably not in pleasant ways. Maybe it'll decrease to the point, the Earth starts to repair itself. It survived the meteor that took out the DInosaurs. I'm sure it would bounce back :)

but yah... I find it sad that I honestly think I might be old enough that I'm gone before it gets really really bad.

Also Thanos issue was it wasn't a solution. All he did was remove half the population then destroyed the stones. All the universe would do is recover and grow, and you'd have the same problem a few hundred years later. He could of just snapped his fingers, and make pollution free power, star trek synthesizers, and whatever else the universe needed.... he had issues.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20273 posts
4238 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Humans will venture out and inhabit other planets.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 15, 2014
705 posts
645 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I think humans got about 20-50,000 years before we make the planet inhabitable for ourselves. Chance we may evolve to the conditions but at the rate we're abusing the planet it seems we'll need to find a new one.
Please respond