Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2017 9:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8611 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

I understand Family Guy creator is a big Trek fan

So I'm surprised it took so long for him to use his clout to do something spaceshippy

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/seth-ma ... 201766714/
Last edited by jenviea on May 4th, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
89 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
25644 posts
5821 upvotes
GTHA

from http://deadline.com/2016/07/adrianne-pa ... 201794853/
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. alumna Adrianne Palicki is set as the female lead opposite Seth MacFarlane in his 13-episode straight-to-series hourlong comedic drama for Fox. Also cast in the project is long-time MacFarlane voice actor Scott Grimes.

Set 300 years in the future, the untitled show — MacFarlane’s first live-action TV series — follows the adventures of the Orville, a not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet. Facing cosmic challenges from without and within, this motley crew of space explorers will boldly go where no comedic drama has gone before.

MacFarlane plays Ed, the captain of Orville. Palicki plays Kelly Grayson, Ed’s (MacFarlane) ex-wife and the newly appointed First Officer of the Orville. Grimes plays Gordon, Ed’s best friend whom he hires to pilot the Orville.

Palicki is coming off a two-season stint on ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D where she played fan favorite Bobbi Morse. Along with Nick Blood, she also toplined the spinoff pilot Marvel’s Most Wanted this past season. In features, she recently co-starred in John Wick. The Friday Night Lights alumna is repped by WME and Anonymous Content.

Grimes has been acting alongside MacFarlane for more than a decade on MacFarlane’s animated comedy American Dad where Grimes is a main cast member, voicing the son of MacFarlane’s Stan. Grimes also has done voice work on MacFarlane’s flagship animated comedy Family Guy. Grimes, who recurred on Justified, is repped by Abrams and Industry Entertainment.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8611 posts
1806 upvotes
Toronto

Definitely looks Trek-ish with the addition of the definite article to the ship name another Trek nod(?)

Trek alum Brannon Braga directed an episode & has more pix on his FB
ImageImageImageImageImage

After seeing the trailer the ship looks Galaxy Quest-y
Last edited by jenviea on May 15th, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10044 posts
628 upvotes
Mississauga
You missed the biggest fact that there is a true blue legit Trek alum in the cast in Penny Johnson.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
3775 posts
730 upvotes
Sask.
OMG, it looks fab -love the trailer. Can't wait!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5132 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I'm hoping we see a few, ummm..., past Star Trek actor cameos. Maybe we can see them doing screwed up versions of their ST characters, that would be awesome. I see we already have former DS9 actress who played Sisko's 2nd wife.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2006
9759 posts
848 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Jul 23rd, 2017 10:51 pm
I'm hoping we see a few, ummm..., past Star Trek actor cameos. Maybe we can see them doing screwed up versions of their ST characters, that would be awesome. I see we already have former DS9 actress who played Sisko's 2nd wife.
The guy on the far right played Julian Bashir's father. Also Seth McFarlane is technically a former Star Trek actor. Played a very minor role in Star Trek: Enterprise.

I would assume a lot of Star Trek actors will make cameos. Especially seeing as how actively he uses former Star Trek actors in his projects. Looking forward to seeing this.
jenviea wrote:
May 15th, 2017 4:09 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10044 posts
628 upvotes
Mississauga
I can't believe this is actually a scifi drama.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7360 posts
734 upvotes
Victoria
I think I'll wait to see if this ends up getting any good or gets canned before I put time into watching it.

I used to watch Family Guy but felt it got a little tedious so I stopped watching it. The concept for a sci-fi drama doesn't bug me if it's well executed. I think I'd prefer that over a sci-fi comedy. The only Sci-Fi comedy I remember liking was Red Dwarf.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5132 posts
1207 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
OUCH!!!

Well, I'll still PVR it and watch it. Only I can make a decision as a viewer whether I like it or not. Critics are like meteorologists, they try to form an opinion on sound information but at the end of the day, they are only guessing.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!