Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2018 5:25 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2981 posts
859 upvotes
Global Village
Just watched the pilot and I was pleasantly surprised, special effects looked 1st rate and it has just the right mix of comedy and action. Definitely adding to my PVR list.
All day I dream about sports
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7460 posts
3306 upvotes
Toronto
The Orville......

Seth Mcfarlane launches Star Trek series.... finally.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
7460 posts
3306 upvotes
Toronto
oh yeah and it's more realistic too.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6848 posts
2706 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
scoper wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 11:18 pm
Just watched the pilot and I was pleasantly surprised, special effects looked 1st rate and it has just the right mix of comedy and action. Definitely adding to my PVR list.
I agree, I liked it. Good balance. Not ROFL comedy but definitely in for a few good chuckles. Hoping it will only get better.

The critics were too harsh. Maybe it was because FOX sold it as a haha comedy in the trailers.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8121 posts
964 upvotes
Victoria
chimaican wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 9:04 am
I agree, I liked it. Good balance. Not ROFL comedy but definitely in for a few good chuckles. Hoping it will only get better.

The critics were too harsh. Maybe it was because FOX sold it as a haha comedy in the trailers.
Is it a drama with some lighthearted humour in the vein of the old stargate series? I always liked that kind of mix.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3240 posts
1167 upvotes
zod wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:52 am
Is it a drama with some lighthearted humour in the vein of the old stargate series? I always liked that kind of mix.
yep - with some sci-fi sexual references. The CGI isn't bad, it's close to what TNG was doing way back.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6848 posts
2706 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
What was great was the Star Trek influence on the show (McFarlane being a big Star Trek fan - Star Wars too). The soundtrack definitely sounded like the Star Trek theme music with a few notes rearranged.

Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23780 posts
1223 upvotes
Markham, ON
let hope the quality stays at par after the premiere
Mar 6, 2007
315 posts
5 upvotes
I enjoyed it but, it felt more like a Star Trek parody than its own show. Hopefully it differentiates itself and finds its own footing.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6848 posts
2706 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I thought the 2nd episode wasn't too bad either.

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9880 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
I think I've seen too much Star Trek (even by the time Voyager ended and Enterprise came around)

The show's title sequence is just like Voyager's

There are no new stories to tell is my takeaway from the Orville so far

The show went through the trouble of using a miniature in some effects shots

The third episode debuts this Thursday in its regular Thursday night slot
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2004
4810 posts
2888 upvotes
Vancouver
I watched this and I just find that Seth Macfarlane distracts way too much from the show. He isn't a good actor (why would he be? He is a voice actor). I don't know why he cast himself in this role. Someone else would have done a much better job. I'd be surprised if this is renewed for a 2nd season.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
3240 posts
1167 upvotes
For a medium class cruiser the weapons suck. They hit that heavy cruiser so many times and did no damage to it, in the first ep. Are they badly outmatched in this universe?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1488 posts
266 upvotes
Ontario
He should be in star trek discovery. His enterprise character should have got a promotion to captain.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2981 posts
859 upvotes
Global Village
Watching the 2nd episode I couldn't help but remember how it felt watching TNG for the 1st time. As CBS goes darker with Trek this show must be driving them crazy, it's brighter, funnier, builds on Trek legacy, the production values are surprisingly high for a FOX comedy, if the TV ratings continue to be high and Trek Discovery word of mouth isn't (after the pilot CBS TV won't broadcast the rest of the episodes, if you don't pay for CBS all-access streaming the Orville will be the only Trek-like series on a major broadcast network you can watch) CBS might just be sore losers enough to sue them.
All day I dream about sports