Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 30, 2001
26416 posts
5437 upvotes
Toronto
Just made it through the first episode. I don't see the appeal. It looks like a poor rip-off of TNG in every which way. Is this supposed to be a comedy? Sci-fi? Moonlighting-esque sexual tension drama set in space? The ships are ugly, the uniforms look horrid, the jokes were lame, and the plot was dumb.

This would have been better with family guy level of humour and animated. Just like how they do the star wars parodies.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Not bad ...I've waited a long time for an episodic sci fi that's not action centric
Jun 29, 2010
786 posts
173 upvotes
I am in the hate it camp. I didn't even make it through the first episode. I also can't look at McFarlane without hearing Peter Griffen or Stewey
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8728 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto
The show settles in its regular Thursday night time slot tonight
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10155 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
I watched episode 2 last night and the tonal issues are still there. The show is having a hard time melding the scifi drama with the comedic elements. Also, the storylines seem somewhat simplistic, and are not reflective of Peak TV. Or do I not watch enough network TV, and is this what it's supposed to be like?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5300 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Seth MacFarlane really should take a backseat and only do the producing and story development. He really is too monotone and lacks the acting skills. You can really see how amateurish he is when he's on screen beside the more seasoned Adrianne Palicki (Kelly). The show would probably be better received if the captain were played by a better actor with comedic timing.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7461 posts
774 upvotes
Victoria
chimaican wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 4:25 pm
Seth MacFarlane really should take a backseat and only do the producing and story development. He really is too monotone and lacks the acting skills. You can really see how amateurish he is when he's on screen beside the more seasoned Adrianne Palicki (Kelly). The show would probably be better received if the captain were played by a better actor with comedic timing.
It's probably too late for that, but maybe he'll get experience, and if the show gets more episodes, he'll get better at it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5300 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
zod wrote:
Sep 21st, 2017 5:48 pm
It's probably too late for that, but maybe he'll get experience, and if the show gets more episodes, he'll get better at it.
Well if all fails, maybe Palicki can reprise her role as Bobbi Morse on Agents of SHIELD. :D

Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23390 posts
1101 upvotes
Markham, ON
stories arent bad...just some of the actors.

Episode 2...bad acting is really showing on some of the supporting characters
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5300 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
I don't know why, but I actually like this show.

I thought the 3rd episode was pretty good. The jokes were a lot better than the first 2 episodes, and the story wasn't too bad. Guess this show isn't the Utopian paradise that Star Trek is (the real Star Trek, that that Jar Jar Abrams stuff)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7461 posts
774 upvotes
Victoria
chimaican wrote:
Sep 23rd, 2017 8:23 am
I don't know why, but I actually like this show.

I thought the 3rd episode was pretty good. The jokes were a lot better than the first 2 episodes, and the story wasn't too bad. Guess this show isn't the Utopian paradise that Star Trek is (the real Star Trek, that that Jar Jar Abrams stuff)
Even the original trek series weren't super utopian. They were always running into other hostile races. Always stuff going on... it was just aliens vs. humans instead of humans vs. humans :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8728 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto
Waiting for a cap of the titles sequence (fan used the Discovery music)

Very similar to Voyager titles

Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23390 posts
1101 upvotes
Markham, ON
too much social commentary in episode 3...i'd like more scifi.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
8728 posts
1847 upvotes
Toronto
McFarlane has made some friends in Hollywood willing to come on his show, this week was a surprise (to me anyway) cameo at the end and next week previously announced guest star Charlize Theron will come on board

More pix and info about Ms Theron's character

http://ew.com/tv/the-orville-charlize-theron-photos/5
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10155 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
thelefteyeguy wrote:
Sep 25th, 2017 3:52 pm
too much social commentary in episode 3...i'd like more scifi.
Good scifi IS social commentary, not people with lightsabers fighting each other.

I've seen the first three episodes now and this show is starting to grow on me.