Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
Orville actually feels a lot more like Star Trek than Discovery does. Discovery feels more like a dark Catewoman movie/series... in space
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2149 posts
591 upvotes
Global Village
Talamasca wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 11:55 am
Good scifi IS social commentary, not people with lightsabers fighting each other.

I've seen the first three episodes now and this show is starting to grow on me.
Agreed, this 4th episode shows they are not afraid to go dark with their social commentary, they also have a pretty impressive cast of special guest actors.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1815 posts
279 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
I really like the series, gotta say it reminds me more about TNG than Discovery does :)
Either way, wish both series stay for a long time, we need some good scifi series.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
704 upvotes
Mississauga
scoper wrote:
Sep 29th, 2017 3:30 pm
Agreed, this 4th episode shows they are not afraid to go dark with their social commentary, they also have a pretty impressive cast of special guest actors.
I just watched the 4th episode and other than the quirky humour, it totally could have been a 5th or 6th season TNG episode. Even the away mission location resembled the places where they would film TNG's away missions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7462 posts
774 upvotes
Victoria
It sounds like Discovery is trying to be modern. IE shiny and keep the story in perpetual motion.

Sounds like the orville is comfortable being a little retro. It sounds tempting to watch :)
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
zod wrote:
Oct 1st, 2017 9:11 pm
It sounds like Discovery is trying to be modern. IE shiny and keep the story in perpetual motion.

Sounds like the orville is comfortable being a little retro. It sounds tempting to watch :)
Yah. I'd say it feels like Discovery expects old Trek fans to watch and is trying to change the show to lure in young millennials whom aren't so familiar. Orville, on the other hand, is only catering to true Trekkies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5301 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Another good episode IMHO. Guest star Charlize Theron was a nice touch.

I still don't get why critics hate this show so much. I mean, I get it will never win an Emmy and all, but frankly, this show isn't bad, especially when there is so much other crap on tv.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2004
3527 posts
225 upvotes
Toronto
Like the show, but one thing that really bugs me............every episode so far keeps mentioning adultery/separation between the captain and first officer. It's getting old.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3589 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2017 6:51 pm
Yah. I'd say it feels like Discovery expects old Trek fans to watch and is trying to change the show to lure in young millennials whom aren't so familiar. Orville, on the other hand, is only catering to true Trekkies
i grew up with TNG / DS9 / Voyager. Never watched TOS or Enterprise but (mostly) enjoyed the TOS and TNG movies as well. Watching star trek first contact in the theatre was amazing. i do also like the new abrams stuff (at least the first one. the other 2 havent really been memorable)

"true" trekkies are literally the worst fans and are solely responsible for destroying their own shows, especially now with a million social media channels to whine and complain about shit.

TNG was terrible the first 2 seasons. imagine it got cancelled in the very first season due to 'fan' backlash?

i enjoy both the orville and discovery right now. you get best of both worlds really.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5301 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Mr. Robo wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 10:26 am
Like the show, but one thing that really bugs me............every episode so far keeps mentioning adultery/separation between the captain and first officer. It's getting old.
Unfortunately that's classic Seth MacFarlane - repeating the same joke like beating a dead horse

Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
stevelam wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 12:24 pm
i grew up with TNG / DS9 / Voyager. Never watched TOS or Enterprise but (mostly) enjoyed the TOS and TNG movies as well. Watching star trek first contact in the theatre was amazing. i do also like the new abrams stuff (at least the first one. the other 2 havent really been memorable)

"true" trekkies are literally the worst fans and are solely responsible for destroying their own shows, especially now with a million social media channels to whine and complain about shit.

TNG was terrible the first 2 seasons. imagine it got cancelled in the very first season due to 'fan' backlash?

i enjoy both the orville and discovery right now. you get best of both worlds really.
Really funny that you call out trekkies for ruining a show that you haven't even watched the original of
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1479 posts
447 upvotes
both shows have similar ratings. It's kind of funny.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:09 pm
Really funny that you call out trekkies for ruining a show that you haven't even watched the original of
A large proportion of trekkies never watched tos
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:15 pm
both shows have similar ratings. It's kind of funny.
It is funny. Discovery must be shitting bricks knowing how much more they're spending for similar returns to that of Orville
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5301 posts
1326 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 10:47 pm
It is funny. Discovery must be shitting bricks knowing how much more they're spending for similar returns to that of Orville
ABC has no one to blame except themselves if their ratings suck. They're forcing their US fans to pay for their streaming service. It is more than likely that is the reason for their poor numbers. Haha...

I'm hoping the ratings go up for Orville because I would love to see this show get a 2nd season. I feel this show just needs time to find it's footing.
Last edited by chimaican on Oct 7th, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.