Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1480 posts
448 upvotes
one tries desperately to be different than the previous 6 incarnations or so, while the other just parodies whichever show it wants and still gets good ratings!
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 11:12 pm
one tries desperately to be different than the previous 6 incarnations or so, while the other just parodies whichever show it wants and still gets good ratings!
tries desperately to be different? They just cloned the Dark Knight style onto star trek.

I hope they gravitate closer to what makes star trek great. But right now it seems theyre gambling by centering on their annoying vulcan girl and her struggles. At least in normal star trek there may be episodes that revolve around characters you like or don't, but this one forces one character down your throat
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
6127 posts
2221 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 11:38 pm
tries desperately to be different? They just cloned the Dark Knight style onto star trek.

I hope they gravitate closer to what makes star trek great. But right now it seems theyre gambling by centering on their annoying vulcan girl and her struggles. At least in normal star trek there may be episodes that revolve around characters you like or don't, but this one forces one character down your throat
the hero chick is because of our new PC environment.... needs to be a woman heroin otherwise it's sexist!1
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1480 posts
448 upvotes
acting still sucks. But it's different.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 10:47 pm
It is funny. Discovery must be shitting bricks knowing how much more they're spending for similar returns to that of Orville
Bit Orville's budget is huge and got their ratings by giving it away for free, discovery are all paid subscribers

So discovery and CBS are thrilled that just as many willing to pay to watch as there are who watch because it was free
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
daivey wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 12:44 am
the hero chick is because of our new PC environment.... needs to be a woman heroin otherwise it's sexist!1
Voyager already had a female Captain. Are you new to star trek? Or just threatened that it's not a Caucasian main character ?
Last edited by MrWhiteCoffee on Oct 8th, 2017 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Dec 28, 2015
617 posts
232 upvotes
Westmount, QC
chimaican wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 11:11 pm
ABC has no one to blame except themselves if their ratings suck. They're forcing their US fans to pay for their streaming service. It is more than likely that is the reason for their poor numbers. Haha...

I'm hoping the ratings go up for Orville because I would love to see this show get a 2nd season. I feel this show just needs time to find it's footing.
CBS you mean? But their gamble paid off for them due to huge subscription growth for their online platform due to discovery

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-trek- ... tion-rates

https://fansided.com/2017/09/25/star-tr ... tings-cbs/

Same bump for cravetv too (even I signed up for it and cancelled Netflix )
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3589 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 7th, 2017 4:09 pm
Really funny that you call out trekkies for ruining a show that you haven't even watched the original of
who cares? every other series stands on their own. what do i need to know about TOS in order to watch DS9? nothing.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3589 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 9:01 am
Voyager already had a female Captain. Are you new to star trek? Or just threatened that it's not a Caucasian main character ?
all these shitty alt-right trolls and loser Proud Boys hating on Discovery for no particular reason. its like they never realized star trek is clearly about diversity.

anyway, orville is pretty solid right now. the 'prank' pulled by the AI robot thing was hilarious.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16628 posts
1040 upvotes
Niagara Falls
MrWhiteCoffee wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 9:01 am
Not to mention all of the other strong female characters in the Star Trek Universe, almost too many to name.
Nov 7, 2012
662 posts
235 upvotes
TORONTO
Loving this show. My wife can follow this better than Discovery. I'm a fan of both.

The writing is decent and they're covering some heavy issues. I like the comedy, it's fun with shots of current pop culture.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:48 am
Loving this show. My wife can follow this better than Discovery. I'm a fan of both.

The writing is decent and they're covering some heavy issues. I like the comedy, it's fun with shots of current pop culture.
lol it was pretty blatant this episode. So basically the Krill are muslims? did I read that right?
Nov 7, 2012
662 posts
235 upvotes
TORONTO
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:24 pm
lol it was pretty blatant this episode. So basically the Krill are muslims? did I read that right?
lol..... I don't think they're painting that picture specifically. The Krill can be any religious group or any extremist group. Not all Muslims are extremists and not all Christians are 'good' either.

From that episode and 'about a girl' and even 'if the stars should appear' ... they've dealt with some serious topics and added some much needed comedy.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
akswun wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 2:32 pm
lol..... I don't think they're painting that picture specifically. The Krill can be any religious group or any extremist group. Not all Muslims are extremists and not all Christians are 'good' either.
what was the name of that book they were after....? lol
Nov 7, 2012
662 posts
235 upvotes
TORONTO
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 2:34 pm
what was the name of that book they were after....? lol
LOL!!! Stap!