Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2150 posts
592 upvotes
Global Village
Just when you start laughing at some of the jokes this show gut-punches you with serious questions on the most depressing issues plaguing our world, all under the guise of sci-fi parables. Classifying this show as a comedy is tougher to justify with each episode.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
3213 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
Loved all the "Avis" jokes. That was a nice touch in this episode.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5309 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Topher wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 12:48 pm
Loved all the "Avis" jokes. That was a nice touch in this episode.
Yes, the Krill's god named Avis is no match for the Human's god named Hertz
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
"Would you like to give a blessing to Avis as well?"

"Avis. We Try Harder."
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14196 posts
1534 upvotes
Toronto
daivey wrote:
Oct 8th, 2017 12:44 am
the hero chick is because of our new PC environment.... needs to be a woman heroin otherwise it's sexist!1
Right, nothing about Star Trek has ever been PC or pushed the envelope in any way. They should just play it safe and conformist like the original series which launched during the cold war relatively shortly after WW2. The safe and conformist Russian navigator, Japanese pilot, mixed-race first officer, black female communication officer, and hysterical over-dramatic Scottish engineer.

The fact that she's a woman is a non-issue. The main problem is that she's just plain unlikeable. Her character acts like a pouty 12-year-old and she embodies none of the typical Trek ideals.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 10:56 am
Right, nothing about Star Trek has ever been PC or pushed the envelope in any way. They should just play it safe and conformist like the original series which launched during the cold war relatively shortly after WW2. The safe and conformist Russian navigator, Japanese pilot, mixed-race first officer, black female communication officer, and hysterical over-dramatic Scottish engineer.

The fact that she's a woman is a non-issue. The main problem is that she's just plain unlikeable. Her character acts like a pouty 12-year-old and she embodies none of the typical Trek ideals.
Uh, wrong universe.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1485 posts
448 upvotes
Are you guys distracted by Seth's small beady eyes, right eye slightly more closed than his left? He has an odd look.
Penalty Box
Oct 15, 2006
4264 posts
437 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 12:50 pm
Are you guys distracted by Seth's small beady eyes, right eye slightly more closed than his left? He has an odd look.
oh hell yes. i cant put my finger on it exactly, but he definitely has a creepy look to him
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
1336 posts
87 upvotes
Anyone willing to bet that Mila Kunis and Mark Wahlberg will make guest appearances later this season?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5309 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
tinlun wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 5:56 pm
Anyone willing to bet that Mila Kunis and Mark Wahlberg will make guest appearances later this season?
I'm still holding out hope of seeing Sir Patrick Stewart

Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1485 posts
448 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 8:18 pm
I'm still holding out hope of seeing Sir Patrick Stewart
it would be a riot if Stewart would do a guest spot. I'm not sure paramount would like it though, and they're still fairly large and he cant piss them off.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
10157 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
badOne wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:20 pm
it would be a riot if Stewart would do a guest spot. I'm not sure paramount would like it though, and they're still fairly large and he cant piss them off.
Paramount has no control over TV Trek and have shown no great love for their top franchise (they totally blew it when it came to Trek's 50th anniversary last year). I bet they wouldn't even notice if Stewart guest starred on The Orville.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5309 posts
1331 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
badOne wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:20 pm
Talamasca wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:47 pm
Paramount has no control over TV Trek and have shown no great love for their top franchise (they totally blew it when it came to Trek's 50th anniversary last year). I bet they wouldn't even notice if Stewart guest starred on The Orville.
Yup, Paramount has no say whether he makes an appearance or not, just like CBS can't say anything.

1) The Orville is not Star Trek and therefore the show is not infringing on any copyrights or trademarks, even though there are homages for sure.

2) If he were to have a guest appearance his characters name would not be Picard, though it would be hilarious if he was named with something similar like Pikerd (like the TNG episode where they were in 1890s San Fran)

3) He's worked with Seth MacFarlane in the past as a voice actor for the head of the CIA in American Dad.

Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 9:18 am
Yup, Paramount has no say whether he makes an appearance or not, just like CBS can't say anything.

1) The Orville is not Star Trek and therefore the show is not infringing on any copyrights or trademarks, even though there are homages for sure.

2) If he were to have a guest appearance his characters name would not be Picard, though it would be hilarious if he was named with something similar like Pikerd (like the TNG episode where they were in 1890s San Fran)

3) He's worked with Seth MacFarlane in the past as a voice actor for the head of the CIA in American Dad.
they are close friends IIRC
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Kingmoo wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 5:06 pm
oh hell yes. i cant put my finger on it exactly, but he definitely has a creepy look to him
he looks like he's 20% asian or something
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a