Entertainment

FOX 'The Orville' (formerly SF fan Seth MacFarlane gets to star/create live action SF series)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2017 9:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5285 posts
1320 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Excellent episode tonight.

This show definitely is more true to Star Trek than STD.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 22, 2014
493 posts
108 upvotes
Regina, SK
That episode was great. Some great lines.

"But what if anyone corroborates the stories?"
"don't worry - they won't"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5209 posts
522 upvotes
Calgary
chimaican wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 10:06 pm
Excellent episode tonight.

This show definitely is more true to Star Trek than STD.
Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling EyesFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
like a world run by Mark Zuckerberg
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2144 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
This last episode made me cringe thinking of a justice system based on RFD upvotes and downvotes...
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1469 posts
443 upvotes
scoper wrote:
Nov 1st, 2017 2:45 pm
This last episode made me cringe thinking of a justice system based on RFD upvotes and downvotes...
Ya I know - especially when RFD/Yellowpges in their infinite wisdom turned a thanks/unthanks button into a judgement of what is being posted.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5285 posts
1320 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
jenviea wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 9:48 pm
Hey trekkers!
You get another season of uber dark Trek with a second season of Discovery and you'll get another season of trying to be funny Trek with second season of 'The Orville'

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-orville ... 202200369/
Bortus: "Entering the glory hole!"
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2144 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
jenviea wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 9:48 pm
Hey trekkers!
You get another season of uber dark Trek with a second season of Discovery and you'll get another season of trying to be funny Trek with second season of 'The Orville'

http://deadline.com/2017/11/the-orville ... 202200369/
It's a good time to be a sci-fi TV fan again. I watch both but if I had to choose only 1 of the 2 my pick would be Orville.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7044 posts
944 upvotes
Winnipeg
yeah its pretty good show you kinda really do have to listen carefully for all the things that make it gold.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5209 posts
522 upvotes
Calgary
scoper wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 3:26 pm
It's a good time to be a sci-fi TV fan again. I watch both but if I had to choose only 1 of the 2 my pick would be Orville.
Same here. I like how it can look into serious topic without taking itself seriously.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1808 posts
279 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Agree, Orville is much easier to follow.
It's about exploration, not war, and episodes are not linked to each other unlike discovery.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3940 posts
526 upvotes
Aurora
I'm having a lot of fun with Orville. And it is very traditionally Trekky, albeit with more humour. Luckily I can watch both Discovery and Orville. Both are good shows. Orville is for "fun", with diverse and relevant story lines. Orville is a sci fi show first, comedy second. On paper, it really shouldn't work (eg Barry Manilow, Kardashian, etc references) but it does. It can also be unexpectedly dark - killing almost everyone on the Krill ship with sun radiation is something I wouldn't have expected from a show with this tone. By the way, Orville's FX kind of sucks, especially compared to Discovery - and I don't care!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
16623 posts
1038 upvotes
Niagara Falls
DiceMan wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:53 pm
I'm having a lot of fun with Orville. And it is very traditionally Trekky, albeit with more humour. Luckily I can watch both Discovery and Orville. Both are good shows. Orville is for "fun", with diverse and relevant story lines. Orville is a sci fi show first, comedy second. On paper, it really shouldn't work (eg Barry Manilow, Kardashian, etc references) but it does. It can also be unexpectedly dark - killing almost everyone on the Krill ship with sun radiation is something I wouldn't have expected from a show with this tone. By the way, Orville's FX kind of sucks, especially compared to Discovery - and I don't care!
The message about who the children would hate at the end of that episode was strong as well. Enjoying this show enough to actual purchase it on Google play. I hope it gets a good run and doesn't go stale.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1469 posts
443 upvotes
Do they really need a gay episode? It seems all the rage now with supergirl doing a gay theme every ep and every few eps they dive deeper in. All I wanted was a normal star trek-like episode.