Entertainment

FOX 'The X-Files' season 11 (premieres Jan 3 2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2018 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9866 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto

FOX 'The X-Files' season 11 (premieres Jan 3 2018)

FOX (the network not Duchovny nor his character) openly admitted back in January that they're toying with the idea of reviving the hit sci-fi from the 90's

http://deadline.com/2015/01/x-files-reb ... 201352465/

Both Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny have expressed interest

Today, some UK site claims the revival is close to go-ahead status
http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2015/03/the-x-f ... to-return/
Last edited by jenviea on Mar 23rd, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
208 replies
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Fox? Too bad, no care. :lol:

I can understand them and Duchovny wanting a return to their heyday, but unless Chris Carter, or Morgan/Wong, are on-board I'm not sure what can really be gained from it, esp if it's a limited run. The audience moved on ages ago.
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17032 posts
416 upvotes
Sweet! Im all for it. I thought that GIllian and David hated each other though...
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
Tornado F2 wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2015 4:34 pm
Fox? Too bad, no care. :lol:

I can understand them and Duchovny wanting a return to their heyday, but unless Chris Carter, or Morgan/Wong, are on-board I'm not sure what can really be gained from it, esp if it's a limited run. The audience moved on ages ago.
I for one am looking forward to the return of the X-Files. And yes Chris Carter will be back at the helm..
“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

Now official, [Duchovny and Anderson] commented: “We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of ‘The X-Files’ — one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers — and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again.”
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I will be looking forward to this.
Feb 21, 2007
643 posts
65 upvotes
Calgary
It's Fox, they'll cancel it after 3 great episodes...
:)
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2354 posts
691 upvotes
Very much looking forward to this. X-Files was the only series that I made an effort to be in front of a TV to watch each new episode.

What exactly is an event series? 6 episodes and then calling it quits or see how well it's received and then go from there?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
412 upvotes
Ottawa
SizzleChest wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 8:45 pm
Very much looking forward to this. X-Files was the only series that I made an effort to be in front of a TV to watch each new episode.

What exactly is an event series? 6 episodes and then calling it quits or see how well it's received and then go from there?
If it becomes very popular, I'm sure they will keep on milking the franchise.

Looking forward to this.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
whistlepig wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 3:40 pm
I for one am looking forward to the return of the X-Files. And yes Chris Carter will be back at the helm..
I'm happy if they can bring back X-Files with the appropriate atmosphere and content.

This is what concerns me:
SkiFreak wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 4:07 pm
It's Fox, they'll cancel it after 3 great episodes...
I've given up on Fox thanks to all their cancellations. I think I only saw one show on that network that got a final episode, and it was a long-forgotten sitcom that threw in a closing scene. Basically: "Why are you back? Was your flight cancelled?" "No, the show's cancelled". (Cast take a bow). Finis.

Married With Children might have got a finale too. I don't recall ATM. They probably aired it at an oddball time so I missed it.

They even cancelled shows with "Joey" and "Chandler" from "Friends", years before NBC signed them up, and many other talents, including Ben Stiller.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
SizzleChest wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 8:45 pm

6 episodes then milk them through DVD/BR/iTunes sales. Much like they did with the add-ons for 24 and Prison Break.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
Look at FOX going back to its roots. Putting more black actors on the forefront, and reviving a classic.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
LostInTruth wrote:
Mar 24th, 2015 9:59 pm
Look at FOX going back to its roots. Putting more black actors on the forefront, and reviving a classic.
Fox wasn't "black" back at its start:

"They officially announced the formation of FOX Broadcasting Company on May 6, 1986, at a press conference that also unveiled Joan Rivers as host of the network�s first series. THE LATE SHOW STARRING JOAN RIVERS premiered Oct. 9. 1986, on 96 stations, representing 76 percent of the country.

On April 6, 1987. FOX launched its first night of primetime programming - Sunday -- with enthusiastic support from the advertising and creative communities. FOX's affiliate base had grown by then to 106 stations, representing 80 percent of the country.

FOX�s first Sunday night broadcast featured two half-hour comedies: MARRIED ... WITH CHILDREN, which gained notoriety because it subverted the traditional family sitcom, and THE TRACEY ULLMAN SHOW, a sketch comedy series that drew immense "critical acclaim. In the following three weeks, FOX added one new show a week, so that by May3,l987, its Sunday lineup was complete. Its additional shows consisted of 21 JUMP STREET, which quickly became a teenage favorite, along with MR. PRESIDENT and DUET.

Three months later, on July 11, 1987, FOX launched its Saturday primetime schedule. On Sept. 18, 1989, FOX added its third night of primetime programming - Monday -- which was used for broadcasting movies and specials once or twice a month.

One year later FOX launched two additional nights: Thursday on Aug. 23,1990, and Friday on Sept. 7.11990. The schedule was expanded to Wednesday nights on July 8, 1992, and to Tuesday nights on Jan. 19. 1993.

FOX became a full seven-nights-a-week network on June 21, 1993 under then President of Fox Entertainment Group Sandy Grushow with the weekly Monday telecasts of FOX NIGHT AT THE MOVIES, a mix of theatrical films (among them world television debuts), made-for-television movies and original mini-series.

From its earliest days, FOX distinguished itself as an irreverent innovator and created a youth-oriented brand identity using such groundbreaking fare as THE SIMPSONS, the first primetime animated hit in decades; AMERICA'S MOST WANTED and COPS, the originators of the reality genre; BEVERLY HILLS, 90210, MELROSE PLACE and PARTY OF FIVE, primetime serials for teens and young adults, oftentimes commended for their handling of social issues. IN LIVING COLOR, which revitalized sketch comedy and launched the careers of Jim Carrey, Damon Wayans and several others, and THE X-FILES, which garnered critical acclaim and redefined the boundaries for science fiction television."

About the only "black" content there came from "In Living Color" - and unwanted guest appearances on "Cops". :lol:

The only Asian content seems to have been the Korean animators drawing The Simpsons frames.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2014
1255 posts
241 upvotes
Burrowborough
Here's some tidbits from Chris Carter on his plans for the relaunch of the X-Files; including the balance of standalone episodes to overall mythology episodes and how he's going to deal with the December 22, 2012 alien colonization date.