Entertainment

FOX 'The X-Files' season 11 (premieres Jan 3 2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2018 12:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8107 posts
952 upvotes
Victoria
jenviea wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 8:08 pm
FOX TV boss Dana Walden shared with the TV press that new season with start and end with a "mythology" episode with the eight between stand alones

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... in-1027706

I think they've run out of every body part specific cannibal
When the x-files came out on bluray a while back... I started watching it all front to back and enjoyed the non-mythology episodes in the first few seasons, but by the time I got into s3 or s4 I started skipping ahead to the mythology episodes.

It's too bad they can't figure out a story and carry it through the entire series as a 10 episode story arc. TV has changed since the original x-files run. The sci-fi stuff (and many other things) are much more serialized now. I'm not sure the audience wants to retread back to the old monster of the week kind of stuff. Plus it was on for 10 seasons, so how many more of those can they do.

Hopefully it turns out well. I liked the firs two episodes of the last season, but then it kind of lost its way. There was that one episode where it was sort of monster of the week, but then Scully's dad died, and they completely dropped the monster of the week plot-line and didn't resolve it...
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 23, 2007
9865 posts
2154 upvotes
Toronto
The junior varsity duo that may or may not have been intended as replacements show up again in the new season

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/the-x-file ... returning/

I'd be more interested in cameos for John Doggett and Monica Reyes but I realize I'm alone in that desire since seemingly no one liked that Mulderless season and a half

Announced today Barbara Hershey gets a seemingly antagonistic role

http://tvline.com/2017/08/14/the-x-file ... ika-price/
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5675 posts
289 upvotes
yay i'm excited ... especially for the Darin Morgan episode!
Sep 10, 2004
498 posts
80 upvotes
Hate to say, it is awfully bad. Those long monologues just made me cringed. Sad to see a classic got butchered again like this but I am sure everyone involved is well paid.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 24, 2005
5675 posts
289 upvotes
thepotatohead wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 4:48 am
Hate to say, it is awfully bad. Those long monologues just made me cringed. Sad to see a classic got butchered again like this but I am sure everyone involved is well paid.
Agreed and what was with the horrific pacing and pointless driving sequences. Chris Carter directed episodes have been utter garbage during this revival. And that big reveal at the end ... I'm pretty sure pissed off A LOT of old fans.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15340 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
Not happy with the direction the series is going in.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
2722 posts
241 upvotes
Pickering
Tend to agree with the above posters, did not like the first episode at all, was slow to get going and bored me.
Wise men speak because they have something to say, Fools because they have to say something.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8107 posts
952 upvotes
Victoria
I also agree with above posts. Lots of those sanctimonious speaches they used to do in the day, but they don't seem to work anymore. I'm not sure if it's because TV has evolved 20 years, or because the characters are too old to pull it off.

Spoilers:

So now mulders son is his brother? lol
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15340 posts
3198 upvotes
Toronto
I think the expectations are so high before we live in an era where we have series like Stranger Things. X-Files was a novelty when it first came out, but now it's nothing spectacular.
Penalty Box
Mar 20, 2009
1285 posts
186 upvotes
Toronto
The world we live in has changed tremendously since this show started/finished.
Mistrust of government was both radical and fascinating back then, whereas now it is par for the course.

While I don't actually remember the specifics of the mythology, I can't help but feel they have backpeddled on way too many things. Moving the goal post more than once or twice makes it unrelatable. I'm almost bracing myself for a re-appearance (sarcasm) of the Lone Gunmen (assuming the actors are still alive), which would be a terrible idea.

Honestly - I think I would enjoy it more if the season arc was something more original, and not tied to the old mythology. The Mulder son/brother revelation seems like a lame premise to work from.
Last edited by shikotee on Jan 6th, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 4, 2003
576 posts
38 upvotes
Edmonton
huge X-Files fan from back in the day, and yeah, the new episode was awful. I was very close to turning it off at numerous times during the show. The old mythology worked back then, but now its just plain bad.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2008
3711 posts
629 upvotes
Toronto
I always liked the monster-of-the-week episodes more than the mythology ones anyway.