Entertainment

FOX 'The X-Files' season 11 (premieres Jan 3 2018)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2018 7:28 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2892 posts
248 upvotes
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 9:16 pm
It was a fun episode, but I just couldn't get past the fact that (spoiler - sorry I dunno the tag for it) Guy took off all his clothes, ran into the port-o-potty, and then magically his clothes came back on his body. Also, how does a guy who sleeps for 10,000 years get to speak with a British accent? Or get to speak at all?? I can overlook inconsistencies but these are just blatant.
South African.

And that was the BEST ep they have ever done. So good, hope they can keep this up!
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Sibica wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 10:12 pm
South African.

And that was the BEST ep they have ever done. So good, hope they can keep this up!
Kiwi!

Aka New Zealander.

Aka Resident of Middle Earth. ;)
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 8:39 pm
i was like woah during that scene. did she get some, uh hmmm, "work" done or was that a bit of hollywood magic?
She has had children, didn't you know? Even during the original series. (They used careful camera shots to conceal it).
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
projectmoonlightcafe wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 9:16 pm
It was a fun episode, but I just couldn't get past the fact that (spoiler - sorry I dunno the tag for it) Guy took off all his clothes, ran into the port-o-potty, and then magically his clothes came back on his body. Also, how does a guy who sleeps for 10,000 years get to speak with a British accent? Or get to speak at all?? I can overlook inconsistencies but these are just blatant.
"Guy" explained that he didn't know how he knew things either, and couldn't understand what he was saying, he just "did".

They could perhaps have had a scene at the end revealing that Mulder had been affected by the dopers' drugs, or something, but it was obviously intended as a fun episode, like Morgan's earlier scripts, so they didn't need a cheap copout. It made for a better ending with Mulder having shaken hands with a unique creature that almost nobody else had ever even seen. Its previous emergence will have been before the arrival of N. America's "first peoples", so even they would have no awareness of it.

If you haven't seen them yet, I strongly recommend watching Morgan's original series "comedy" episodes. All were excellent. And to think, he started out as merely an actor, playing "Flukeman". (No doubt, the fact that his brother was an executive producer helped).

Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
241 upvotes
ON
Finally - the standalone monster episode!

These were always my favourite X-Files episodes and this new one was done just right. Humour, clever in-references, and a smart script make this one an instant classic!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7037 posts
1507 upvotes
Toronto
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 2nd, 2016 10:21 pm
She has had children, didn't you know? Even during the original series. (They used careful camera shots to conceal it).
nope. i'm not one to keep tabs on their personal lives. how old are her kids? i wouldn't expect for her to have toddlers at this age.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23437 posts
1112 upvotes
Markham, ON
best episode in a long long long time...had a bit of the "Supernatural" vibe to it (well before that series jumped the shark)
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23437 posts
1112 upvotes
Markham, ON
Tornado F2 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2016 11:22 pm
Even on Mulder's phone! :lol:

If somebody made a list of all the little things thrown into that episode it would end up being a pretty long one.

Last week Mulder was in a gay bar. This week he drank himself unconscious in a cemetery and shook hands with a naked man/"lizard". And Scully allegedly made moves on "lizard" man too. This isn't your father's X-Files! :lol:
reminds me of my phone back in the day...had the same ringtone hehe
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
23437 posts
1112 upvotes
Markham, ON
Simon Pegg would have nailed the role...but would have been hugely expensive to make :)
Administrator
Apr 7, 2015
241 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Meh. Wasn't a fan of this episode. The comedy ones back when the show first aired were okay but I just find them somewhat hokey.
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
241 upvotes
ON
Last Night's X-Files Was Everything That Made the Show Great
Last night was episode three of The X-Files, and not only did it finally deliver on the promise of the reboot, it was a perfect showcase of everything that made The X-Files great in the first place.

“Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster” simultaneously had a very low bar and a very high one to clear. On the one hand, the first two episodes weren’t particularly good. On the other, the return of fan-favorite Darin Morgan as writer and director meant that expectation was super high among X-philes. Not only are his four episodes are almost invariably counted among the best of the entire series, he played one of the original show’s best, most iconic monsters—the Flukeman. Morgan has nearly legendary status among X-Files fans.

So not only did Morgan have to meet the impossibly high expectations of the hardcore fans, it had to win back viewers who were disappointed by first two episodes.

Continued (with spoilers).
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
jenviea wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 11:24 am
I never liked the jokey episodes and dressing up the guy like Carl Kolchak came off self satisfied to me

http://nypost.com/2016/02/01/x-files-ti ... character/
Reading the article, I'd say it was a pretty good homage to the (apparent) show predecessor. I thought the outfit seemed out of place, just like the accent, but its inclusion, and online articles explaining it, exposes a large chunk of the X-Files audience, myself included, to a show we'd never even heard of before. I would say "watch for Night Stalker DVDs becoming available", but at 1972 it long predates FOX, so perhaps not.

Then again, thanks to imdb, I see there was a briefly-aired Night Stalker series in 2005, from X-Files exec producer Frank Spotnitz, which was abruptly dropped. I suspect I did actually tune in for that, seem to recall liking it, but like many shows I've liked, esp ones on FOX, it got cancelled in favour of Bachelor or whatever. The lead character in that show didn't wear a hat though, of any sort.

Chris Carter also had a short-lived, prematurely-pulled series after X-Files and Millennium too - "Harsh Realm". Another one that I probably watched, but forgot after it "vanished". As he says:

"The television business changed a lot from when I did The X Files (1993) to when we did Harsh Realm (1999). Television took on the characteristics of the feature film industry, where, if the show didn't open 'big' out-of-the-gate...it was canceled, immediately."

There's far too much of that. If they go to the bother of making however-many episodes, and combined they tell a continuing story, then networks should air the entire lot, not just drop them in the trash bin (or "flog on dvd", as is now the case - I'm always wary of "complete series" boxsets, as you're lucky if you get 13 episodes, let alone 23). It's disrespectful to the audience, who have invested their time watching, telling friends, etc, to just leave them hanging. FOX did that too many times, so I've hardly tuned in to their local station in years. I'm likely not the only one.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
As soon as I saw BSG's Felix I knew he was in for a nasty ending. I didn't expect the Rancid Trashman to rip him in two so quickly though. :lol:

Is this going to be an "Austrian Bounty Hunter" episode?
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1717 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Well, at least we got one good episode out of this run... Then it was back to Mulder and Scully's mid-life crises. Too much "reality" if you ask me. Fans watch shows like X-Files to escape all that.