• Dec 16th, 2017 8:42 pm
Jan 8, 2015
391 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Easto wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 11:10 am
Parfume de Marly - Herod

It's the perfect time of the year to give this one a try. The notes I can find are:

TOP: Cinnamon, Pepper Wood
HEART NOTES: Osmanthus, Tobacco leaf, Frankincense, Labdanum
BASE NOTES: Vanilla pod, Woods, Atlas cedar, Vetiver, Patchouli, Iso e super, Cypriol, Musk

First off, I don't have a very experienced nose and I would have no idea what most of these notes would even smell like.

So my dumb down version of what I smell: Wet Tobacco and Cherry

I bought a 30 ml Decant of this one and after wearing it the first time I was sold on getting a full bottle and snagged a 125ml Tester for $179 on FragBuy.

I wouldn't wear this in warm weather, but it's a killer in the cooler fall and winter temps.

If you're looking to smell different than everyone else this winter, PdM Herod is highly recommended. Not only will you smell different, you'll smell better. This one gets awesome reviews online and the great thing is FragrenceBuy sells it at a great price.

Likely my next niche bottle will be PdM Layton and I need to find a sample of Oajan. I've heard good things, but nowhere to sample around here.
Totally agree. Does your tester have the triangle sticker on the back with the notes on it? I assume that they all do, but I thought it was interesting, and decided to not peel it off my bottle. Layton is definitely a good pickup. I've worn it in spring, summer and fall. Probably not the best on hot summer days though. The only places I've been able to try PDM frags are Niche Essence and Nordstrom. Closest one to me is Sherway Gardens. Last time I was there they had Layton, Herod, Oajan, Darley, and Habdan. I can't remember if I saw Godolphin or Galloway there.
Jan 8, 2015
391 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CashJinx wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 11:06 am
SOTD Today - Xerjoff 1861 Naxos
This stuff was a beast! Excellent longevity, and good projection. Added to my wishlist
Aug 22, 2009
686 posts
93 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:17 pm
Totally agree. Does your tester have the triangle sticker on the back with the notes on it? I assume that they all do, but I thought it was interesting, and decided to not peel it off my bottle. Layton is definitely a good pickup. I've worn it in spring, summer and fall. Probably not the best on hot summer days though. The only places I've been able to try PDM frags are Niche Essence and Nordstrom. Closest one to me is Sherway Gardens. Last time I was there they had Layton, Herod, Oajan, Darley, and Habdan. I can't remember if I saw Godolphin or Galloway there.
I didn’t even notice the sticker. You made me go upstairs and check it out. Yes, it has a sticker with the note breakdown. Pretty cool.

This bottle itself is a best - HEAVY.

I am surprised cherry isn’t listed. I get a cherry vibe and a lot of reviews I’ve seen say something similar.

As far as testing I don’t have any of those high end stores around here. And I don’t think I’ll be going on a road trip to smell colognes :)
Jan 8, 2015
391 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Easto wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 12:34 pm
I didn’t even notice the sticker. You made me go upstairs and check it out. Yes, it has a sticker with the note breakdown. Pretty cool.

This bottle itself is a best - HEAVY.

I am surprised cherry isn’t listed. I get a cherry vibe and a lot of reviews I’ve seen say something similar.

As far as testing I don’t have any of those high end stores around here. And I don’t think I’ll be going on a road trip to smell colognes :)
Yeah the PDM Bottles are beastly. Especially the caps.

I'm not always to great on picking out some of the notes. Same thing for wines and liquors. Sometimes I feel like they're messing with us on the note breakdowns. One of my favourite tobacco scents is 18.21 Man Made Sweet Tobacco Spirits. Smells like a honey tobacco mix. You know what's not listed as a note in the composition? Tobacco. It's in the name, smells like tobacco, but no tobacco note listed. lol.

If you want I can get a sample from Nordstrom and mail it out to you. You could always order a sample from Niche Essence too. Their sprayers are decent quality and the 3ml gives you quite a few good wears of it. Also, it's worth noting that NE regularly sells Oajan for $5 less than Fragrancebuy and their Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales were much better too (15-20% off + 3 free 3ml samples + free Shipping).
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15907 posts
4546 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Easto wrote:
Parfume de Marly - Herod

It's the perfect time of the year to give this one a try. The notes I can find are:

BASE NOTES: Vanilla pod, Woods, Atlas cedar, Vetiver, Patchouli, Iso e super, Cypriol, Musk

First off, I don't have a very experienced nose and I would have no idea what most of these notes would even smell like.

I bought a 30 ml Decant of this one and after wearing it the first time I was sold on getting a full bottle and snagged a 125ml Tester for $179 on FragBuy.

I wouldn't wear this in warm weather, but it's a killer in the cooler fall and winter temps.

If you're looking to smell different than everyone else this winter, PdM Herod is highly recommended. Not only will you smell different, you'll smell better. This one gets awesome reviews online and the great thing is FragrenceBuy sells it at a great price.

Likely my next niche bottle will be PdM Layton and I need to find a sample of Oajan. I've heard good things, but nowhere to sample around here.
Nice review. I'm having a serious case of Herod envy right about now. I'm 98.4% sure that will be my winter go to when I wind up copping.

I can't wait until the new year when I tackle my wish list. Will be reviews galore lol

Oh and SOTD? That TDH. I was loving it on my skin today.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.

Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory

RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1026 posts
191 upvotes
Brampton
Easto wrote:
Parfume de Marly - Herod

Compelling review, tempted to blind buy!
Have you tried Pure Havane or its dupe Insurrection Wild? I get a sweet cherry and tobacco from them. Wondering how they stack up to Herod. I'll def check it out next time I'm in shop.
When I saw the note of frankincense listed, it reminded me of a YSL private line release with the star note of frankincense. I sprayed a test strip and it immediately reminded me of... church which is the only place I've encountered anything like it. Definitely not one to my liking.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4950 posts
780 upvotes
* random thoughts *

Fragrance-collecting is addictive. Even with my pickiness/stinginess I feel the urge to collect a whole bunch. Those of you who prefer rich basenote-heavy scents, you do have the higher probability of longer shelf-life on your side. I've read of some fragheads putting their collections in the fridge.

I'm also resolving to only keep 2-3 "light" or citrus-heavy scents on hand at a time, and to use them liberally since they are best enjoyed when freshest. It is likely a doomed effort to try to make them last. And for the same reason, to focus on drugstore brands for this category.

-------------------------------------------------------

Most of you probably don't eBay but I've been on there the last few days hunting some discontinued curiosities and there are soooooo many shady fakes from Dior.

--------------------------------------------------------

Have any of you guys read "How Luxury Lost Its Luster" by Dana Thomas? I got it on Kindle Cloud, but I've seen it at used bookstores around Toronto once or twice. It does give insight into the accessible/premium luxury industry and how fragrances were affected by business interests over the decades.
Aug 22, 2009
686 posts
93 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 3:41 pm
Yeah the PDM Bottles are beastly. Especially the caps.

I'm not always to great on picking out some of the notes. Same thing for wines and liquors. Sometimes I feel like they're messing with us on the note breakdowns. One of my favourite tobacco scents is 18.21 Man Made Sweet Tobacco Spirits. Smells like a honey tobacco mix. You know what's not listed as a note in the composition? Tobacco. It's in the name, smells like tobacco, but no tobacco note listed. lol.

If you want I can get a sample from Nordstrom and mail it out to you. You could always order a sample from Niche Essence too. Their sprayers are decent quality and the 3ml gives you quite a few good wears of it. Also, it's worth noting that NE regularly sells Oajan for $5 less than Fragrancebuy and their Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales were much better too (15-20% off + 3 free 3ml samples + free Shipping).
Thanks for the offer.

I’ll try NE perhaps when they have a big sale next time as long as I get reminded.

If I am ever in TO where is the best place to go test these frags out? I was just as a Nordstrom’s in Michigan and they didn’t have much other that your typical designer frags
Jan 8, 2015
391 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Easto wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:57 am
Thanks for the offer.

I’ll try NE perhaps when they have a big sale next time as long as I get reminded.

If I am ever in TO where is the best place to go test these frags out? I was just as a Nordstrom’s in Michigan and they didn’t have much other that your typical designer frags
I guess the best thing to do is hit a mall with a few nice anchor stores. I guess Yorkdale would be good. They have Holts, Harry Rosen, Nordstrom, Sephora, Zara, but personally I hate going there because I always find it so busy and a mess for parking (especially on weekends) Square One in the west end basically has the same stores as Yorkdale except no Nordstrom. Sherway also in the west end has Saks, Nordstrom, Harrry Rosen, Sephora, Zara... Basically all the main malls have the same stores, but trade off one of the big anchor stores likes Saks or Holts. I will note that the Sephora in Square One has a much better selection for fragrances than the Sherway one. For me it's mostly between Sherway and Square One. It's also nice that they're not too far away from one another.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1026 posts
191 upvotes
Brampton
SOTD - delectable tiramisu aka Ferragamo Uomo
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4950 posts
780 upvotes
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZGqZS ... nrjC0peFdw

This guy does excellent comparisons of real vs. fake products. If you ever buy something on the secondary market (or have to go through the hell of eBay for discontinued/pre-formulation perfumes), check out some of the details this guy catches. I applied them to a recent eBay dodge.

The item I was looking at was 99.5% perfectly copied from the outside (advertised as "sealed/unopened" so it didn't show the bottle)--however, his cellophane tip was crucial.
Jan 8, 2015
391 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 6:20 am
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZGqZS ... nrjC0peFdw

This guy does excellent comparisons of real vs. fake products. If you ever buy something on the secondary market (or have to go through the hell of eBay for discontinued/pre-formulation perfumes), check out some of the details this guy catches. I applied them to a recent eBay dodge.

The item I was looking at was 99.5% perfectly copied from the outside (advertised as "sealed/unopened" so it didn't show the bottle)--however, his cellophane tip was crucial.
That's a great resource! Thank you