Fashion & Beauty

Fragheads Unite! Fragrance thread for all things Perfume

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 3:12 pm
Nov 23, 2018
228 posts
145 upvotes
I have two bottles of scents that don't have spray nozzle. It's similar to after shave bottle. Is there any cheap bottle with spray nozzle or how do you use the scent that doesn't have any spray nozzle? Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
markopas wrote: Picked up a AF sample - waiting on delivery, would like to do a comparison against their inspiration and the real thing.

SAKS = not self serve but the SA is willing to make samples for you or give you a sample of the premade stuff, they are pretty good at offering you if they have something to give, they also have an MFK counter which the other stores dont have
**Exlusive to this store is MFK

HOLTS = not self serve, also have has some fragrances that other stores dont have and typically exclusive to that store so there is no one stop shop. I find HOLTS to be a little bit more snobbish regarding sampling but dont be discouraged as one of the other locations will be happy to help out, but the Bloor location is the most helpful and gave me the most samples :)
**Exclusive to this store is certain Jo Malone, Dior and others

NORDSTROM = partial self serve, the counters that have employees stationed at them like YSL, TF, Jo Malone are happy to give you a sample of their product but TF only decants from the flacon so if they dont have any in the flacon they are more prone to not taking any out from the spray bottle but they might do it anyway. But you will see at other stations where they have these built-in cubbies side by side which have the empty sample bottles - just fill up the bottle to your hearts content.
**Exclusive to this store is PdM (I've grabbed a self serve sample of everything they had :)

Sephora = not self serve but they are happy to give you a sample of whatever you want - usually the smaller stores aren't as versatile with fragrances so their selection isn't as great due to lack of space but the bigger malls like Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway, Yonge and Eglinton, Square 1 are huge and have great extra selection to choose from, so in my case since my wife is with me and there is something I really like, I just ask for 6 samples (Three for me and three for her) of the same product :)

Creed is one of those highly regarded fragrances where you might no be able get samples of because of either the sales person or just in general policy - these higher end stores are now getting in ceramic discs for you smell the scent.

I find Sherway the best location for all your fragrance choices specifically SAKS since they typically have it all and the sales staff are extremely nice and helpful so I usually make a trip out to there to smell something new or get a sample of unfortunately when it comes to certain scents I dont have a choice and have to visit a Holts or Nordstrom but end up going to Yorkdale for that.
Well said. I'll make sure to bring Richwood for you to try. I also tend to prefer Sherway.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
SOTD - Oud Satin Mood and AF Nostalgia

They are spot on, the only difference is the opening. MFK opening is OUD while the AF goes right to the heart note and rose/floral - in the mid-dry down I can't tell them apart and now 2hrs in MFK you get the vanilla and floral with a hint of oud but the AF is still very strong and very similar to the MFK but more hyped up.

I much prefer the extrait version but this is a real close 2nd and can live with it, just means that I am ok with buying the AF version and having the Extrait of MFK on hand for those special occasions.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
SOTD

Creed

Royal Princess Oud
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
markopas wrote: SOTD - Oud Satin Mood and AF Nostalgia

They are spot on, the only difference is the opening. MFK opening is OUD while the AF goes right to the heart note and rose/floral - in the mid-dry down I can't tell them apart and now 2hrs in MFK you get the vanilla and floral with a hint of oud but the AF is still very strong and very similar to the MFK but more hyped up.

I much prefer the extrait version but this is a real close 2nd and can live with it, just means that I am ok with buying the AF version and having the Extrait of MFK on hand for those special occasions.
Man, Alexandria has released a tonne of stuff since I last looked.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
CashJinx wrote: Man, Alexandria has released a tonne of stuff since I last looked.
Brotha, yer missing out - latest versions to be released are PdM Delina (non-exclusif) and Polo 1978 and just before that BR540 Extrait, Aventus 13z01, Guerlain Spiritueuse DV, Dior Oud Ispahan, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, By Kilian Musk Oud, Amouage Jubilation, TF Oud Wood and Oud Wood Intense and a lot more I am sure I'm missing out on.

Supposedly ROJA Danger is the next frag to come out sometime this month.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
markopas wrote: Brotha, yer missing out - latest versions to be released are PdM Delina (non-exclusif) and Polo 1978 and just before that BR540 Extrait, Aventus 13z01, Guerlain Spiritueuse DV, Dior Oud Ispahan, Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur, By Kilian Musk Oud, Amouage Jubilation, TF Oud Wood and Oud Wood Intense and a lot more I am sure I'm missing out on.

Supposedly ROJA Danger is the next frag to come out sometime this month.
I'm supposed to be heading to Buffalo this weekend. I should have ordered during the BF sale, but didn't. Seems to tight to order it now although the delivery has been typically pretty fast with Alexandria. I really shouldn't be buying anything else until the new year, but .......
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
CashJinx wrote: I'm supposed to be heading to Buffalo this weekend. I should have ordered during the BF sale, but didn't. Seems to tight to order it now although the delivery has been typically pretty fast with Alexandria. I really shouldn't be buying anything else until the new year, but .......
I hear yeah, I have stuff I have to pickup myself - just waiting for my latest order to ship and arrive and then I'll be heading down.
__
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
Top 10 Designer Frags for the winter.. I think Cuba nailed it pretty good on the designer side.

__
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Anyone picking up Jeremy’s new fragrance dubbed as the best fragrance in the world?

lol

He says ‘this month we will preorder it’

Ok boss
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote: Anyone picking up Jeremy’s new fragrance dubbed as the best fragrance in the world?

lol

He says ‘this month we will preorder it’

Ok boss
Nope. I'll wait till it shows up in Dollarama. lol

All kidding aside, I won't buy it unless I can get my nose on it, which I'm sure I won't be able to do. With somebody as polarizing as Jeremy, I think that unbiased reviews will be hard to come by, but it should also be noted that he's not the perfumer, he's just putting his name on it.
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
Started on my Atelier calendar. So far:

Clementine California - Nice fresh citrus that turns floral very quickly on me. The notes don't speak floral but that's what I get and therefore too feminine for me, nice though.

Rose Anonyme - Very surprising, I was expected a feminine scent but this is definitely unisex. It's almost like Mugler A*Men does a (clean) Rose and Oud flanker. I don't know if I'd ever get a bottle of it but this is good.

Iris Rebelle - Definitely a unique twist on iris. Very strong earthy component but it doesn't work for me, this blended all together smells like paper (which iris does a bit) and wood glue to me. It's not horrible but I would never wear it. Dry down goes quite floral, so feminine again. The glue like smell has significantly mellowed and I like this a lot more now.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just as a note, my wife tried to order some stuff from TJMaxx and have it delivered to her kinekpoint. The transaction went through, but then got cancelled. Apparently they don't like it when the billing and shipping address are different.

When she called to discuss it with them, they said that there was nothing that they could do. They did however make a pretty crafty suggestion for next time though. They advised that she buy a few gift cards next time we go to the US, and use those for online purchases, because the billing address isn't required if using a gift card.

Just thought I'd share that in case anybody has been having similar issues like this.
Oct 15, 2013
956 posts
1387 upvotes
CashJinx wrote: SOTD TF Tobacco Oud
I think I’ll do the same.

Just got a text through from shoppers, 20x points on beauty and frags today only instore and online over $75 with code BEAUTY20X. I’m considering getting herba fresca, 20x on that is roughly 30% off I believe.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, ON
charliegee wrote: I think I’ll do the same.

Just got a text through from shoppers, 20x points on beauty and frags today only instore and online over $75 with code BEAUTY20X. I’m considering getting herba fresca, 20x on that is roughly 30% off I believe.
Cool. I picked it up from Shoppers also in the spring/summer. Nice minty scent. It doesn't last very long, but, its's not too expensive, so I don't mind reapplying.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
SOTD - YSL La Nuit De L'Homme vs. PdM Layton (sample)

(someone said they are similar or the same on FB page)

Layton is a complete Oud Bomb while YSL has this sweet scent and linear, really like both of them.
__
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29911 upvotes
CashJinx wrote: Just as a note, my wife tried to order some stuff from TJMaxx and have it delivered to her kinekpoint. The transaction went through, but then got cancelled. Apparently they don't like it when the billing and shipping address are different.

When she called to discuss it with them, they said that there was nothing that they could do. They did however make a pretty crafty suggestion for next time though. They advised that she buy a few gift cards next time we go to the US, and use those for online purchases, because the billing address isn't required if using a gift card.

Just thought I'd share that in case anybody has been having similar issues like this.
Is paypal an option? I figure that it might be worth looking to using PayPal going forward. I bought something from Notino and PayPal didn't work so I manually use the billing and shipping address to be the same in as the NYaddress location that I use and it worked so that can also be an option when you make a purchase. Some systems might be pickier than others but worth trying out.
__