Fashion & Beauty

Fragheads Unite! Fragrance thread for all things Perfume

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 1:52 am
Nov 14, 2003
775 posts
512 upvotes
Montreal
Thank you to @charliegee for mentioning SL Fille En Aiguilles. I’ve heard it’s discontinued and a gem, so I ordered a tester. The 30ml Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche is gone, but I picked up the 75ml tester which is at a great price.

Dang, I really didn’t think I was going to buy anything tonight.
Nov 14, 2003
775 posts
512 upvotes
Montreal
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 6:08 pm
So I got my Kilian Intoxicated travel spray set from the Sephora sale and wore it last week. My son said to me. "Oh are you wearing Kryptomint? It doesn't smell as minty as I remember though" I have to admit, he's not necessarily wrong. Intoxicated does smell similar. :P
Ha! Great story, thanks for sharing. Sounds like your son has a nose for fragrances.

And good call on that Intoxicated set, it looks really nice... #jealous
Oct 15, 2013
335 posts
358 upvotes
int wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:22 pm
Thank you to @charliegee for mentioning SL Fille En Aiguilles. I’ve heard it’s discontinued and a gem, so I ordered a tester. The 30ml Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche is gone, but I picked up the 75ml tester which is at a great price.

I also ordered it. I got Chergui too, which while I think may be slightly redundant with all the spicy tobacco ones I have now it's supposed to be a classic and one for the collection. The hay note it's supposed to have though could set it apart, we'll see.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2005
2540 posts
1294 upvotes
Toronto
int wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:22 pm

I know they're discontinuing some of the SL fragrances only to bring them back with newer style packaging.. but I don't remember if Fille En Aigulles falls under this. I've been "trying to" distance myself from the fragrances chatter so I don't end up buying any more! Face With Tears Of Joy I have more fun acquiring the scents but my wallet.... aahhh sadly not so much!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1048 posts
643 upvotes
I snagged a bottle of Gucci Guilty Absolute last week at Costco.

Also got Bentley Man Intense and Encre Nior Intense from FragBuy.

I think I’m set in cold weather frags now.

Going to give GGA a test run today and see.

Other cold weather frags I’ll be rocking this year:
Herod
Oud wood
Tobacco Oud
Spice bomb
Nabeel Arab Tradition
L’occitane Eau de Baux
Layton (all seasons)
Aventus (all seasons)
Back to Black
ADG Proformo (all seasons)
Chanel BDC (all seasons)
Tres Nuit (all seasons)
CH Men Prive

I think that’s it.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19785 posts
8372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
SOTD yesterday - Dua Amberlicious. It’s supposed to be a Hermes Ambre Narguile clone but it’s so beast mode it’s closer to PDM Oajan. Lovely scent even though I’m not the biggest Dua fan.

SOTD today - masterpiece in a bottle. PDM Carlisle.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1742 posts
1875 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Looks like Fragbuy got some F'n Fabulous now too, but $300 for 50ml? Hard pass.
Oct 15, 2013
335 posts
358 upvotes
Two arrived for me today:

Salvatore Ferragamo, Bianco di Carrara 15ml box set - This is a beauty. Unisex, sweet but clean (mild soap/musk) and slight dry vetiver woodiness. Not had it on skin for long so I don't know longevity yet and projection is not beast, but it is a superb scent. As it dries down the sweet turns slightly fruitier...I see in the notes this has fig in the heart so I guess it's that. It's very different fig than Molinard's Figure or ADP Fico though, more ripe fig than green fig.
$29 for the set is a steal imho and it's made me more interested in the others in the Tuscan scent/soul line.

ADP Colonia - Couldn't resist the pricing :) This is lemon soap and is up there with the best of the Prada line when it comes to soapy frags. Definitely has an older "classic" scent that may not work for some people and leans more formal gentleman than say your Dior Homme gentleman. Very happy to have this at about $60, bargain.

SOTN - Dior Homme Intense
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1048 posts
643 upvotes
charliegee wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 4:47 pm

ADP Colonia - Couldn't resist the pricing :) This is lemon soap and is up there with the best of the Prada line when it comes to soapy frags. Definitely has an older "classic" scent that may not work for some people and leans more formal gentleman than say your Dior Homme gentleman. Very happy to have this at about $60, bargain.

I couldn’t resist either.

Mine should be arriving Monday
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19785 posts
8372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 4:43 pm
Looks like Fragbuy got some F'n Fabulous now too, but $300 for 50ml? Hard pass.
Lmao

Was just about to post this. Gary didn’t hold back any punches on that name.

https://fragrancebuy.ca/products/tomfor ... bulous-man
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
19785 posts
8372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
The ADP Colonia is a steal at $70 all in. It’ll be making my spring/summer rotation for sure.

I’m surprised it hasn’t sold out yet.
Jun 20, 2013
32 posts
9 upvotes
I always enjoy the discussions in this thread.
With BF coming soon, any reccommendation for a men's oud fragrance?
I've tried...
- Banana Republic 17 Oud Mosaic (I don't like the opening; dry down is a bit better, but overall I still don't like it.)
- Versace Oud Noir (I like its somewhat smoothness/creaminess but its longevity is poor.)
- Tom Ford Oud Wood (I tried it on paper and liked it. I believe it would perform well but it's somewhat expensive.)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1742 posts
1875 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Emsubs wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:32 pm
I always enjoy the discussions in this thread.
With BF coming soon, any reccommendation for a men's oud fragrance?
I've tried...
- Banana Republic 17 Oud Mosaic (I don't like the opening; dry down is a bit better, but overall I still don't like it.)
- Versace Oud Noir (I like its somewhat smoothness/creaminess but its longevity is poor.)
- Tom Ford Oud Wood (I tried it on paper and liked it. I believe it would perform well but it's somewhat expensive.)
Welcome.

How Oud-y of a fragrance are you looking for?

If you think that a lighter Oud is good (like Oud Wood), you could try Creed Royal Oud, Atelier Oud Saphire, Byredo Accord Oud, or Tom Ford Tobacco Oud. For a really nice Oud/Rose combo, Maison Francis Kurkdjian has Oud silk Mood and Oud Satin Mood. For a dirty animalic Oud, you could go with Diptyque Oud Palao, or Le Labo Oud 27. These are all on the pricier side, but Fragrancebuy.ca sells them at a more reasonable price. You could get your nose on most of them with one trip to a mall like Sherway, Square One, or Yorkdale if you're in the GTA. Le Labo is only available at their store, except in the US, they have boutiques within Nordstroms etc.
Oct 15, 2013
335 posts
358 upvotes
To add to the excellent suggestions above I'll offer up ADP Colonia Oud. Only had it for a short period but it is going to be a mainstay for me I think.

It's one of the few fragrances I have where I can bury my nose into it and come out thinking omg every time.
It's fairly linear but that works in its favor because it is fantastic from the start.

It isn't (too) "funky" oud, and it projects and lasts like a monster. Great buy imho.