Beauty & Wellness

Fragheads Unite! Fragrance thread for all things Perfume

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 1:40 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4833 posts
712 upvotes
I want to know what notes / combinations attract you people to a scent; what moods or purposes you use for your fragrances.

Ever made any mistakes in buying a fragrance, and what turned you off?

- One of my first ever fragrances I bought was Chanel Allure EDT. It smelled gorgeous in-store. When I wore it, however...the top citrus notes faded quickly and left a nauseatingly sweet, overwhelming peach. I'm very careful about not overspraying myself, but for the rest of the workday I would ask my coworker if I stunk; she said she didn't notice much. Yet all my nose could perceive was the sweetass peach and to this day I still shudder thinking about it.

- Atelier Cologne's Citron d'Erable from Sephora is a snuggly, slightly feminine (yet still mostly unisex) syrupy-sandalwood that I find comforting and warming. Sometimes I spray this before bed, just so I can go to sleep to it. I'm...trying to remember why I passed on Guerlain's Samsara (another heavy sandalwood scent) but it may have been because I thought this was enough for me.

- When I want to feel poised, professional...I wear Chanel 31 Rue Cambon EDT (since discontinued and only EDP now.) When I first sprayed a sample of this, it smelled very masculine and turned me off. A few hours later, it had softened and mellowed and I couldn't stop smelling my wrist. It's not as powdery as other Chanel ladies' fragrances, which is why I like it. This makes me stand (or sit) a little straighter, and puts me into a productive mood.

- Chanel No22 pur parfum I dab if I want to feel secretly super girly, which is hardly ever. Sometimes I layer on a lighter EDT over it.

- Estee Lauder Modern Muse Le Rouge Gloss. A very inoffensive scent, the cheapest of mine which has incidentally also gotten me the most compliments. It's a floral chemical leather cherries scent which I find mildly addictive. I use it for a regular workday or whenever I'm feeling casually playful. I'm not a huffer, but it's got a hint of the weird kind of attractive chemicalness of gasoline, whiteout, paper money ink, "new clothes smell." The chemical note fades quickly, though...then it's mostly cherries (yum) and dies to a meh floral.

- Lastly, I don't want to name it, but I have another premium perfume I used to enjoy until I read a perfume blogger trash it by pointing out its "animalic" notes. He highlighted its mildly pooish, uriney shades and it's like Inception: once the idea entered my mind, I can't shake it off. Now those notes are ALL I SMELL and I have to sell it. Crying Face So I'm doing you guys a favor by keeping this one anonymous.

I'm still searching for a perfect happy orange scent. Something like The Body Shop's Satsuma...but not so functional-smelling, like air-freshener or cleaning supplies. Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine was close, but inconsistent in how I perceived it. Once I woke up to a dream, but most other times the drydown was so heavy on the "white musk" that it smells like laundry softener.

The scent I've been most complimented for from the opposite sex: bubblegum-smelling hair conditioner.
Oct 6, 2010
93 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:00 pm
There were three Maison Margiela that I liked. By the Fireplace, Beach Walk and Jazz Club, but most likely I won't buy the other two unless there's a deal better than the 20% off. Longevity on By the Fireplace is pretty good. Among the places I sprayed, I sprayed on the back of my hands and can still smell it as a skin scent after 7.5 hrs and several hand washings. It's better than a skin scent right now, but I think it's still pretty close to the skin.
I have a sample of Jazz Club but I haven't tried it yet. I will probably get to Sephora by the weekend but I have do some more research on what else, besides By the Fireplace, I want to sniff.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mixpdf wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 9:48 pm
I have a sample of Jazz Club but I haven't tried it yet. I will probably get to Sephora by the weekend but I have do some more research on what else, besides By the Fireplace, I want to sniff.
They do carry a few Tom Ford, but selection seems to vary by location (no TV at Sherway). The other stuff was fairly typical designer frags.

I'm waiting to see the day when somebody shows up with a Travalo and pumps it full from the tester bottle.
Jul 20, 2007
986 posts
143 upvotes
Brampton
peanutz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:09 pm
it's like Inception: once the idea entered my mind, I can't shake it off. Now those notes are ALL I SMELL and I have to sell it. Crying Face So I'm doing you guys a favor by keeping this one anonymous.
Inception screwed me up, twice. So, I know how that feels. I too will not name what must not be named...

SOTN: Zara RWA and Play Intense... sweet coconut tobaccoey coffee
Last edited by speedy726 on Nov 7th, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:09 pm
Atelier Cologne's Citron d'Erable... Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine...
Have you tried Atelier Pomelo Paradis? It's actually something that my wife and I share. Such a great citrus scent! Maybe the best one I've smelled so far. Also available at Sephora I think
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
244 upvotes
My husband used up the last of his Armani Code. He's happy with it and would rebuy it but is also curious about what else he might like. Any suggestions on which ones to try, based on him liking and using Armani Code for years? Or is it just a matter of heading to Sephora and sniffing around?
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
speedy726 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:42 am
Inception screwed me up, twice. So, I know how that feels. I too will not name what must not be named...

SOTN: Zara RWA and Play Intense... sweet coconut tobaccoey coffee
Hey speedy, do they sell RWA locally?
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SOTD - 18.21 Man Made Sweet Tobacco Spirits. Used the 18.21 Man Made Wash first.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15612 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
amz155 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:22 am
My husband used up the last of his Armani Code. He's happy with it and would rebuy it but is also curious about what else he might like. Any suggestions on which ones to try, based on him liking and using Armani Code for years? Or is it just a matter of heading to Sephora and sniffing around?
sniff around. I've never smelt code but the top notes seem to be lemon and bergamot and a strong tonka bean presence on the dry down. So lemon/powdery is how the reviews describe the fragrance.

I don't recall seeing something else with this note profile but perhaps a more experienced fragrance afficionado can chime in.

He should at least try some Terre D'Hermes and Armaf Club D'Nuit Intense Man. TDH you can try at Sephora. CDNI would be a $35 blind buy from fragrancebuy.ca
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15612 posts
4372 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
My SOTD - no surprise here...An emerging legend.

By Kilian Black Phantom
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4833 posts
712 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 1:45 am
Have you tried Atelier Pomelo Paradis? It's actually something that my wife and I share. Such a great citrus scent! Maybe the best one I've smelled so far. Also available at Sephora I think
I've smelled them all. Sephora is pretty aggressive in giving out their free samples whenever I buy something, too. :) I like the quality of their fragrances, but they tend to have fairly narrow profiles that I get bored of quickly.

I have grapefruit-scented soap, but it's really orange scents that are like sunshine, to me. I think I'll watch the Body Shop for upcoming sales and get a Satsuma spray, and hand sanitizer.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
amz155 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 8:22 am
I think that heading to a store, sniffing, getting samples and then trying them on skin is going to be best. He might surprise you and himself by liking something different altogether. Maybe he'd like the Maison Margiela Replica Beach Walk which has a slightly salty citrus scent or At the Barbershop which is meant to be a fougere I think.

Atelier has many great fresh citrus scents but they're on the pricier side.

Hermes has quite a few citrus based fragrances and some nice greener ones like Un Jardin sur le Nil or Un Jardin sur le Toit (which I have recently seen at Winners and Marshalls for 79.99 vs 155 at Sephora).
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:33 am
I've smelled them all. Sephora is pretty aggressive in giving out their free samples whenever I buy something, too. :) I like the quality of their fragrances, but they tend to have fairly narrow profiles that I get bored of quickly.

I have grapefruit-scented soap, but it's really orange scents that are like sunshine, to me. I think I'll watch the Body Shop for upcoming sales and get a Satsuma spray, and hand sanitizer.
Fair enough. I guess you tried the Hermes Orange frags too. Diptyque Eau des Sens fragrance was nice, but I smelled that a while ago. They have it at Nordstrom and Saks if I remember correctly. So was Jo Malone Orange Blossom.
Jul 20, 2007
986 posts
143 upvotes
Brampton
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:40 am
Hey speedy, do they sell RWA locally?
I've seen it at a couple Zara shops in downtown Toronto. Bought me a backup bottle. The other one in the Tobacco Collection called Intense Dark Exclusive is like CH 212 VIP, nowhere in it do I detect Tobacco lol. I much prefer RWA over IDE.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4833 posts
712 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:17 pm
Fair enough. I guess you tried the Hermes Orange frags too. Diptyque Eau des Sens fragrance was nice, but I smelled that a while ago. They have it at Nordstrom and Saks if I remember correctly. So was Jo Malone Orange Blossom.
Yep. I'm the loner who goes around smelling all the bottles, spraying them occasionally on a tester card, and buying hardly anything.

Jo Malones are too 1-2 note for me, I don't understand the hype.

The one I liked that was minimalist citrusy Jean-Claude Ellena was Jardin de Monsieur Li, but it's too light for me. Many of his scents (at least the ones for women) are light and ethereal, like gossamer. Lovely in the bottle, but does not suit many people to wear.

There was a touching story on fragrantica posted by a girl about the above, though. She was from some former USSR country and when she was little, was allegedly very sick one year, stayed at a crumbling hospital and was surrounded by sickness. One of the nurses kindly gave her a kumquat to cheer her up (a rare little object), and she said it looked, smelled, tasted like life. And decades later upon smelling Jardin de Monsieur Li, the kumquat scent reminded her so deeply of that memory, she teared up at the counter and bought it. I'm so moved by the notion that for this girl, the kumquat scent is associated with an anonymous kindness from a long time ago.

That's what I love the most about scents, not so much as a fashion accessory, but rather, how it can affect our moods, and root many of our memories, or set off imaginations. That's their art.