• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 8:19 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
JLei2k wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2018 3:49 pm
Don't know why this gets so much hate online. It's safe but that makes it super versatile. Fresh and you will never find a girl who doesn't find it pleasant.
Completely agree. I personally need a fresh/clean/generic daily scent since most days I am not in a specific mood for a dramatic perfume.

Strangely enough, I had a difficult time finding a generic fragrance while avoiding notes that annoy me, but I finally figured it out yesterday, and now my "fragrance wardrobe" feels complete. I layer Black Opium Floral Shock (kind of a cheap-looking bottle) for a slight vanilla-floral hit + my aforementioned Burberry Beat EDT for the cardamom-green tea scent. :) These both have mediocre reviews online, whatever.

Anything overly musky turns me off. Anything too linearly citrus/soapy can smell like cleaning product. The latest trend in "women's fragrances" are supersweet gourmands and I can't wear them. I mean, sugarbomb (Flowerbomb), nutbomb (La Vie Est Belle & flankers = praline/hazelnut, Poison Girl = almond), caramels/toffees, various berrybombs. They all smell really nice when I catch a temporary whiff from testing or a person walking by...but to be surrounded by a cloud for hours is like having a single dominating flavour stuck on my tongue for hours--I quickly want a change or to simply return to neutral.

I don't know what YSL Y smells like, but I just took a peek at its notes - it looks like it's quite complex, it was created by a highly respected perfumer working solo (Dominique Ropion), and it has a low score. And pretty much every note listed is something that smells good. Wouldn't worry about the reviews.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
FYI:

beware-amazon-has-sold-fake-fragrances- ... #p28755786

Amazon has been caught selling fake fragrances. You can see the details in the Amazon review of the SJP perfume -- both the color and the top part of the stem are different. Sometimes fragrances will became more pale as they start becoming more shallow inside the bottle...but in this case, the emptier bottle has a deeper pink and the fuller bottle is very pale. The gray neck ridge detail is also sloppy on the fake.
Sep 13, 2016
135 posts
109 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm late to the game but Club de Nuit Intense wow what a great scent. I sprayed and spilled some on my coat and a week later it still smells powerful.
Apr 19, 2011
50 posts
31 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SOTD = Jacques Fath Pour Homme. Sweet winter frag, great value. Lasts 6-8 hours .
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1189 posts
331 upvotes
Brampton
markopas wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 12:54 am
I saw these last week but didn't want to pull the trigger as I was not aware of what Ruby Woo, Lady Danger or Cream D'Nude smells like.. Ruby Woo is meant to be like Tuscan Leather from TF. I got a chance to smell it and it's not half bad and I'm not one in to those leather scents.
I sampled Ruby Woo last week and agree it's similar to TL, has a cherry/berry sweetness accompanying the leather. I'm not big on leather notes, but the sweetness makes it wearable for me. Yesterday, as I was passing thru Winners at College Park, I saw two Lady Danger's and a Ruby Woo (both 50ml) at $30 each! Decided to grab the Ruby Woo without hesitation. Compared to VT which I purchased from MAC for $50 during their Boxing Day sale, I figure I'd be hard-pressed to find MAC fragrances cheaper elsewhere. Cheers to impulse fragrance buying!
Mar 3, 2011
676 posts
547 upvotes
Yeah, you will find the three out of the six MAC Shadescents at Winners - dont know how long they will last but Ruby Woo, Lady Danger and Creme D'nude - I haven't see Candy YumYum, My Heroine or Velvet Teddy and who knows if we ever will. If you were lucky enough pick up VT during the Mac boxing day sale for a good discount then I'm slightly jealous :)
Jan 8, 2015
764 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Heading across the border for some shopping tomorrow. I just remembered that TJ Maxx actually has some online shopping, so I took a look at some of the fragrances they have and was surprised to find Creed Tabarome for a decent price. Too late for me to order now, but I'll be checking a few stores just in case.

https://tjmaxx.tjx.com/store/jump/produ ... 2359477368
Aug 22, 2009
754 posts
170 upvotes
I have a 30ml decant of Tom Ford Oud Wood on the way.

For some reason I LOVE this one. It gets mixed reviews, maybe performance isn't beastly but I could wear this everyday.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1189 posts
331 upvotes
Brampton
Easto wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 8:34 am
I have a 30ml decant of Tom Ford Oud Wood on the way.

For some reason I LOVE this one. It gets mixed reviews, maybe performance isn't beastly but I could wear this everyday.
Adding this to my to-sample list! Where did you purchase the decant from if you don't mind my asking?

Sotd/gym - Invictus Aqua
Nov 26, 2016
143 posts
17 upvotes
Am I allowed to spray 5-6 times on myself with sample bottles at stores? Or will they kick me out of there? (assuming I dont buy anything)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
5701 posts
1106 upvotes
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 7:55 pm
Am I allowed to spray 5-6 times on myself with sample bottles at stores? Or will they kick me out of there? (assuming I dont buy anything)
Sephora won't care. Have a go.

I'm having a riotous time reading "The Little Book of Perfumes" by Luca Turin & Tania Sanchez, via ebook courtesy of the Toronto Public Library. They go through their thoughts on 100 classics. I expect not to agree with all their verdicts and tastes, but man, Luca Turin especially writes so colorfully.

On Insolence EdP by Guerlain "Godzilla floral":
Guerlain has finally decided that this thing should not even try to be classy and has embraced it as the most deliciously vulgar perfume on the market today...there is something reckless, irreversible, cataclysmic about pressing the spray button on Insolence EdP..."
Face With Tears Of Joy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

kwk1