889 posts
714 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
ronnielarmond wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:31 am
sotd:dior sauvage
Tried this yesterday, not too bad.
Using La Homme Prada today.
Have Creed Aventus and TF Neroli Portofino samples coming soon.
Apr 19, 2011
60 posts
48 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SOTD - Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme...my barber complimented me today :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
Holt Renfrew downtown on Bloor St. has a display of Fueguia fragrances...interesting if even just for sniffing around.

Unfortunately, they only carry the 100ml sizes which run from $400-500+tax. Errr...a bit too rich for me.

When I head out to Europe I might be tempted to have a boutique there ship a 50ml bottle to my hotel.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:04 pm
Holt Renfrew downtown on Bloor St. has a display of Fueguia fragrances...interesting if even just for sniffing around.

Unfortunately, they only carry the 100ml sizes which run from $400-500+tax. Errr...a bit too rich for me.

When I head out to Europe I might be tempted to have a boutique there ship a 50ml bottle to my hotel.
Interestingly, their website allows for free 1ml samples of their fragrances and also has free shipping. I'll try ordering a few samples and see what happens. Thank you for the introduction to this line/house.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:17 pm
Interestingly, their website allows for free 1ml samples of their fragrances and also has free shipping. I'll try ordering a few samples and see what happens. Thank you for the introduction to this line/house.
Yes...I think I would ask for their samples while ordering a bottle from them.

I do not know what the shipping would be for the samples, the site is based in the US (NYC) so shipping to Canada might be different.

It might be easier to go to HR to sniff around and then ask them to make you a few samples of the ones you like. I sniffed like 50 of them and came away really liking only 2-3. It's a minimalist concept and I don't know about the value of Niche perfumes per se...but I just happened to like some of their "green" category fragrances.

http://66.39.54.246/catalogo/US_Catalog ... r-2016.pdf is their catalogue.

Another thing to add is that they seem to tweak their formulations/ingredients based on availability. For example, I really like the newest version of "Elogio de la Sombra" -- iris, Damask rose and lemon are the main notes they list. But on Fragrantica, it appears that when it originally launched, its main notes were iris, mimosa and bergamot.

Another green I liked was Pampa Humeda...it's currently clary sage, eucalyptus and oregano. Originally it seems that it was "greens, eucalypus, and rosemary."
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:23 pm
Yes...I think I would ask for their samples while ordering a bottle from them.

I do not know what the shipping would be for the samples, the site is based in the US (NYC) so shipping to Canada might be different.

It might be easier to go to HR to sniff around and then ask them to make you a few samples of the ones you like. I sniffed like 50 of them and came away really liking only 2-3. It's a minimalist concept and I don't know about the value of Niche perfumes per se...but I just happened to like some of their "green" category fragrances.

http://66.39.54.246/catalogo/US_Catalog ... r-2016.pdf is their catalogue.

Another thing to add is that they seem to tweak their formulations/ingredients based on availability. For example, I really like the newest version of "Elogio de la Sombra" -- iris, Damask rose and lemon are the main notes they list. But on Fragrantica, it appears that when it originally launched, its main notes were iris, mimosa and bergamot.

Another green I liked was Pampa Humeda...it's currently clary sage, eucalyptus and oregano. Originally it seems that it was "greens, eucalypus, and rosemary."
I actually just ordered about 15 samples from them and all indications are free shipping on ALL orders, even zero dollar orders. We'll see if if it arrives or gets cancelled. I did get an email confirmation though, so fingers crossed. I did notice that a few of them would be too challenging for me with notes of civet and "animalic".

TBH, I dislike going to HR because of the staff. I've very rarely had a good experience there. I've never had such issues at Saks, Barneys. Niemans, or Harry Rosen. For me, HR is a last resort.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:58 pm
I actually just ordered about 15 samples from them and all indications are free shipping on ALL orders, even zero dollar orders. We'll see if if it arrives or gets cancelled. I did get an email confirmation though, so fingers crossed. I did notice that a few of them would be too challenging for me with notes of civet and "animalic".

TBH, I dislike going to HR because of the staff. I've very rarely had a good experience there. I've never had such issues at Saks, Barneys. Niemans, or Harry Rosen. For me, HR is a last resort.
Ohh, that's too bad. I just happened to be browsing last night, it was fairly quiet...and a loud, talkative girl was at the same display talking to a nice HR salesgirl. LOL so after they were done, it emboldened me to take a moment of the same salesgirl's time, and I had a private few minutes to just sniff by myself.

I feel ambivalent about buying a bottle, so I will just let the idea simmer. The test strip I have is wafting over a beautiful, simple scent...but the price tag makes me cringe a little, and I can't help but wonder "Is this a gimmick? Is the price necessary?" Keep us updated on their samples. :)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 5:06 pm
Ohh, that's too bad. I just happened to be browsing last night, it was fairly quiet...and a loud, talkative girl was at the same display talking to a nice HR salesgirl. LOL so after they were done, it emboldened me to take a moment of the same salesgirl's time, and I had a private few minutes to just sniff by myself.

I feel ambivalent about buying a bottle, so I will just let the idea simmer. The test strip I have is wafting over a beautiful, simple scent...but the price tag makes me cringe a little, and I can't help but wonder "Is this a gimmick? Is the price necessary?" Keep us updated on their samples. :)
Yeah, those prices aren't for the faint of heart or the unsure. I was able to find a couple of reviews for this house which were quite positive though.

As for the samples, they emailed me and very kindly noted that samples were limited to 5 per customer and that they would be happy to discuss the line with me to see where my interests lie and if they could offer any suggestions. I will have to go through and be a little more selective now, but I appreciate their reply and offer for help very much.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
peanutz wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 4:23 pm
...It might be easier to go to HR to sniff around and then ask them to make you a few samples of the ones you like...
The last time I was at HR, I had a pleasant conversation with one of the SA's about fragrances. I left the shop with a generous amount of ByKilian samples literally thrown at me (i didn't ask for them) lol. It surely helps if you chat them up :)

SOTD - Atelier Bois Blonds (sample)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
speedy726 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:33 am
The last time I was at HR, I had a pleasant conversation with one of the SA's about fragrances. I left the shop with a generous amount of ByKilian samples literally thrown at me (i didn't ask for them) lol. It surely helps if you chat them up :)

SOTD - Atelier Bois Blonds (sample)
That's how I've found Saks and Niemans to be. It's such a better experience when the salespeople are at least a little enthusiastic or interested in fragrances. The guy who was helping me at Saks was very thoughtful and similar to you just kept on making me samples of stuff. I ended up leaving with a small shopping bag of about 10 or 12 samples.

Have any of you gotten samples from Harry Rosen? The last time I was there, I was chatting with the sales guy about Creed and TF for about 15 minutes. Among the topics discussed were reformulations and so I asked for a sample of TV to compare. He happily got one of the TF sample bottles and asked if he could get me something else, which I declined. When I got home I opened it up and realized that those TF sample bottles were actually pretty big, and it was filled to the brim. I then noticed that those sample bottles are 4ml. That's significant juice for just a sample.

BTW, Nice choice with Bois Blond.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2007
1208 posts
362 upvotes
Brampton
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:23 am
That's how I've found Saks and Niemans to be. It's such a better experience when the salespeople are at least a little enthusiastic or interested in fragrances. The guy who was helping me at Saks was very thoughtful and similar to you just kept on making me samples of stuff. I ended up leaving with a small shopping bag of about 10 or 12 samples.

Have any of you gotten samples from Harry Rosen? The last time I was there, I was chatting with the sales guy about Creed and TF for about 15 minutes. Among the topics discussed were reformulations and so I asked for a sample of TV to compare. He happily got one of the TF sample bottles and asked if he could get me something else, which I declined. When I got home I opened it up and realized that those TF sample bottles were actually pretty big, and it was filled to the brim. I then noticed that those sample bottles are 4ml. That's significant juice for just a sample.

BTW, Nice choice with Bois Blond.
Lol that's similar to my experience too in Holts, SA decanted and pkg'd the samples nicely in tissue wrapping paper and bag. It was over and above what I expected walking out of Holts without having made a purchase.
I agree re: the TF samples. The other day I picked up a sample of Plum Japonais EDP, I was pleasantly surprised when SA handed me a 3.4ml glass atomizer with a gold atomizer and sticker on which the name of the fragrances was printed :)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
speedy726 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 2:29 pm
Lol that's similar to my experience too in Holts, SA decanted and pkg'd the samples nicely in tissue wrapping paper and bag. It was over and above what I expected walking out of Holts without having made a purchase.
I agree re: the TF samples. The other day I picked up a sample of Plum Japonais EDP, I was pleasantly surprised when SA handed me a 3.4ml glass atomizer with a gold atomizer and sticker on which the name of the fragrances was printed :)
Nice!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2009
1012 posts
546 upvotes
Wish I had places like that around here to sample.

Nice guys.

I’d love to try Kilian Black Phantom, Killian Single Malt, Killian Back to Black, Tom Ford Plum Japonais, Tom Ford Noir de Noir, Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed MI, Creed Virgin Island Water, Creed Royal Oud....

No where around here has these.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

nasa25