Fragheads Unite! Fragrance thread for all things Perfume

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 22nd, 2019 12:05 pm
Sep 19, 2017
51 posts
71 upvotes
Thoughts on my latest pickups:

- Baccarat Rouge 540
WOW! This stuff is crazy. Unlike anything I have ever smelled. I do get a bit of the 'cotton candy' vibe that people describe, but this isn't a sickly sweet frag. Def leans feminine, but I don't usually let that turn me away from a frag (heck I wear Zoologist Nightingale). Woody undertones, extremely well blended. As a guy this would be too much for the office probably; I'd keep this one for evenings out.

- Lalique pour Homme (Lion) EDP
This stuff get's compared to Bois du Portugal for good reason; very similar vibe however BdP has a bit of an edge with longevity and overall 'quality' of the smell. For the price however, this stuff is fantastic. Good quality old school type fragrance, leaning into barbershop territory. CLASSY. Good office scent.

- Bond #9 Bleecker Street
This one is going to shine in spring/summer. The very definition of a crowd-pleaser! Fresh, light, longevity is good but projection is minimal. You can get away wearing this anywhere, anytime, I can't really imagine anyone being offended by this scent. Light fruit, light woods, background gourmand notes. Going to rock this one in late spring 24/7.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2040 posts
2359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
audnih wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 1:51 pm
Thoughts on my latest pickups:

- Baccarat Rouge 540
WOW! This stuff is crazy. Unlike anything I have ever smelled. I do get a bit of the 'cotton candy' vibe that people describe, but this isn't a sickly sweet frag. Def leans feminine, but I don't usually let that turn me away from a frag (heck I wear Zoologist Nightingale). Woody undertones, extremely well blended. As a guy this would be too much for the office probably; I'd keep this one for evenings out.
- Bond #9 Bleecker Street
This one is going to shine in spring/summer. The very definition of a crowd-pleaser! Fresh, light, longevity is good but projection is minimal. You can get away wearing this anywhere, anytime, I can't really imagine anyone being offended by this scent. Light fruit, light woods, background gourmand notes. Going to rock this one in late spring 24/7.
BR 540 - I've worn the extrait to the office before, but we're just a small company. Only a compliment,m no complaints.

Bleecker - Definitely a versatile and inoffensive scent.

Haven;t tried the Lalique, but I was considering it at one point.
Oct 15, 2013
512 posts
773 upvotes
I think Lalique Lion and Horse are straight up steals at the price they go for. I picked up 125ml of Lion EDP in BF deals for $36 + tax! I actually find that humorous how cheap that is for the quality.

Amouage Beloved cost me $180 for 100ml and it's better and has more interesting stages for sure, but it's not that much better really and they sit in the same kind of classy, more old school vibe. I think Bois de Portugal is about $500!
If you don't mind slightly old school frags pick both of those up they are solid bargains. Horse/Equus is quite different so is not redundant and is a bit more unique (and masculine) than Lion.

Actually I just noticed the nose behind Horse/Equus is the nose behind Beloved. Makes sense, seems getting inspiration from old school classics and making them more modern could be her thing. https://www.fragrantica.com/noses/Emili ... rmann.html

SOTD - Zoologist Rhino

Not too sure about this one as I don't really like the very medicinal opening but it is nicer when that dries. After that it's ok but it doesn't really take me anywhere. I think my biggest complaint is I don't really get "Rhino" from it, I was expecting something that might be quite leathery and maybe something that projects heavy or strong like a Rhino but it doesn't really evoke that to me at all. I'll use up the sample but no bottle for me.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20610 posts
9639 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
^interesting. I get tons of leather notes from rhino.

I actually love it. That’s my next bottle purchase along with African Leather.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Oct 15, 2013
512 posts
773 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 6:18 pm
^interesting. I get tons of leather notes from rhino.

I actually love it. That’s my next bottle purchase along with African Leather.
Rhino has some medicinal leaning notes mixed in that may be overtaking the rest of it for me.

It reminds me of antiseptic cream or some other mild disinfectants (maybe a bit of original Listerine?) which I think are typically scented/flavored with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wintergre ... intergreen. I see that fir and pine are in both the top and middle notes of it on fragrantica and I bet my mind is taking me back to smelling those products in the past and amping that part of it.

Although interestingly (or not depending on your level of nerd!) I saw that wintergreen can be gotten from the birch tree "Oil of wintergreen is also manufactured from some species of birch, but these deciduous trees are not called wintergreens." and further searching says birch tree tar has high concentration levels of it http://ayalasmellyblog.blogspot.com/200 ... ather.html

Afaik birch tar is used in other leather frags but maybe in other cases they blend it differently to reduce its minty medicinal aspect or it is used in less concentration? The fruity notes of Tuscan and Ombre Leather for eg. or the dry vetiver in GG absolute.

Maybe I'll wear it a lot more and see where my nose goes with it, it's definitely intrigued me more now.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20610 posts
9639 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Co SOTN

Testing Byredo 11th Hour and Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale. Both stunners.

11th Hour has this gorgeous peppery note. Reminds me a lot of Xerjoff Dolce Amalfi. Love it.

Myrrhe imperiale is straight up one of the best amber scents I’ve ever smelled. Now if I could only get a bottle without having to give up a kidney lol
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Nov 14, 2003
833 posts
634 upvotes
Montreal
charliegee wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:05 pm
Rhino has some medicinal leaning notes mixed in that may be overtaking the rest of it for me.

It reminds me of antiseptic cream or some other mild disinfectants (maybe a bit of original Listerine?) ...
You're not the only one who feels this way about it. Fragrance blogger Kafkaesque has a lengthy review on T-Rex where Rhino is also mentioned. And there are a lot of references to Tiger balm and Ben-gay ointment. I haven't yet used my travel sprayer of Rhino, I'll have to try it out soon.
Nov 14, 2003
833 posts
634 upvotes
Montreal
A moment of silence for the beating ADG Profumo took here recently lol. How about another Armani ...

SOTN Armani Eau De Nuit Oud (from a Sephora sample)
This is a solid designer oud. I think it could be good if you're starting out and want an easy to like oud.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2040 posts
2359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:42 pm
Co SOTN

Testing Byredo 11th Hour and Armani Prive Myrrhe Imperiale. Both stunners.

11th Hour has this gorgeous peppery note. Reminds me a lot of Xerjoff Dolce Amalfi. Love it.

Myrrhe imperiale is straight up one of the best amber scents I’ve ever smelled. Now if I could only get a bottle without having to give up a kidney lol
That's funny. I went by Saks on the way home to grab a sample of Memo Moroccan Leather for you to try this weekend, to see what's new (nothing) and also to try out 11th Hour again. It's really nice.

I also tried out Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit. That stuff was fantastic! I was floored when I heard the price though. $800 for 50ml. That said It was the best chocolate note I've ever smelled. I'm going to sample that sucker another day.

Myrrhe Imperial is also great. Looks like it goes for $305 at Holts for 100ml. Not too crazy, but not cheap either.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2040 posts
2359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
int wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:15 am
You're not the only one who feels this way about it. Fragrance blogger Kafkaesque has a lengthy review on T-Rex where Rhino is also mentioned. And there are a lot of references to Tiger balm and Ben-gay ointment. I haven't yet used my travel sprayer of Rhino, I'll have to try it out soon.
lol. I like Tiger Balm, but I don't get that with Rhino. All I got was leather. Just tonnes of dry leather.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2040 posts
2359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
int wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:34 am
A moment of silence for the beating ADG Profumo took here recently lol. How about another Armani ...
I think it's got plenty of love too. Just not from me. lol
Oct 15, 2013
512 posts
773 upvotes
int wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:15 am
One of BenGay's active ingredients is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate i.e. wintergreen oil. So I am not going totally mad then.

I was reading further about how Russian leather was typically made in the past (it was once very prized around the world), where on top of regular tanning like the rest world did they also saturated the leather in birch oil to waterproof it and to give off this camphorous/menthol like scent that mixed with the animalic tones of the leather itself.

I'm curious about Memo's Russian Leather now, looking at the notes it seems like it could have some similarities with Rhino perhaps?

The Armani Eau de Nuit Oud you mention while I only tested on paper I agree it was pretty good. Next time I'll stop in I'll probably grab a sample of that.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20610 posts
9639 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:40 am
That's funny. I went by Saks on the way home to grab a sample of Memo Moroccan Leather for you to try this weekend, to see what's new (nothing) and also to try out 11th Hour again. It's really nice.

I also tried out Serge Lutens Veilleur de Nuit. That stuff was fantastic! I was floored when I heard the price though. $800 for 50ml. That said It was the best chocolate note I've ever smelled. I'm going to sample that sucker another day.

Myrrhe Imperial is also great. Looks like it goes for $305 at Holts for 100ml. Not too crazy, but not cheap either.
yup I think I got the 11th hour from Nordstroms as a gift sample when I bought my Malle Traveler. It's great stuff for sure. I need to get my nose on the lutens but that price is insane lol

The Bay has Myrrhe Imperiale for the same $305 but the site lists it as 150ml. Wonder if they can give me only 100ml for 2/3rds of that $305 lmao.

oh and thanks a million for grabbing that Moroccan leather sample for me :)
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
20610 posts
9639 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
charliegee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:14 am
One of BenGay's active ingredients is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methyl_salicylate i.e. wintergreen oil. So I am not going totally mad then.

I was reading further about how Russian leather was typically made in the past (it was once very prized around the world), where on top of regular tanning like the rest world did they also saturated the leather in birch oil to waterproof it and to give off this camphorous/menthol like scent that mixed with the animalic tones of the leather itself.

I'm curious about Memo's Russian Leather now, looking at the notes it seems like it could have some similarities with Rhino perhaps?

The Armani Eau de Nuit Oud you mention while I only tested on paper I agree it was pretty good. Next time I'll stop in I'll probably grab a sample of that.
Russian Leather is just a very fresh, crisp scent. Like walking through a russian forest in winter lol. I get minimal leather if any at all from it.

No similarities to Rhino.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2040 posts
2359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
charliegee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:14 am
To me they are quite different, although Russian Leather does have mint as one of the notes. Oddly it only has a leather accord, so no actual leather note? Russian Leather to me is much more on the green side of things with that pine needle note.

I think it's pretty cool how we pick out notes differently or perceive the strength of some are stronger than others. I know I'm sensitive to incense, so I generally feel like there's too much. lol

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 0 guests)

nas84, CashJinx, int