• Oct 20th, 2019 4:06 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:05 am
yup I think I got the 11th hour from Nordstroms as a gift sample when I bought my Malle Traveler. It's great stuff for sure. I need to get my nose on the lutens but that price is insane lol

The Bay has Myrrhe Imperiale for the same $305 but the site lists it as 150ml. Wonder if they can give me only 100ml for 2/3rds of that $305 lmao.

oh and thanks a million for grabbing that Moroccan leather sample for me :)
I'll see if I can get a sample of that SL one. When David was showing it to me he was like "WOW, there's over 11 grand in product on that one little shelf", and that excluded the testers which were all pretty much full.
He also showed me another one which he likes called Jeux De Peau. The opening of this is like a freshly baked sweet bread to me. I'm not sure how the dry down will go, but I think I want to try it also. Nice that they have this on Fragbuy. lol
Robes08 has an impression video here

No problemo on the sample. Well, one minor problemo. They were out of the Saks mini sprayers, so he put it into one of those little Creed jars (which I hate) for sampling.
Oct 15, 2013
721 posts
1229 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:36 am
He also showed me another one which he likes called Jeux De Peau.
I have 50ml of that and it is a favorite to put on when its freezing outside and you want something to feel warmer, along with Tea for Two. It reminds me of warm honey and oatmeal.

That's true what you say about certain notes and them being pronounced and detected differently. Incense is your troublesome one but I can't get enough of that! Still tempted to grab a FB of Interlude.

The CDG Kyoto Incense that I got from ebay recently the guy also put in a 1ml sample of Zagorsk (its a more pine heavy incense than Kyoto). I asked him if he was going to be stocking it and said yeah, if I order it he'll also throw in Avignon too so I have 6ml each coming. From the US though, will take a while.

SOTD - DZing!

Talking of leather this is an interesting one. Starts off quite animalic and with lots of hay like notes. As it dries it gets sweeter and the leather comes out more and is kind of new leather shoes like, but its a soft and very approachable leather (suede?) scent because of the sweetness. The further it goes, tonka style vanilla and dry sandalwood comes out and maybe a bit of ginger like spice.

Very interesting stuff that is a bit bizarre but not too challenging to wear casually. I have 8ml of it so that's plenty for now but if I only had a sample I would probably try to pick up a 30 or 50ml of this.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
My troublesome note I think is bitter almond (Couldn't stand the Dua version of F'ing Fabulous which is pretty close to the original).

Also a mixed fruit accord on a leather centric frag is very off putting to my nose. I love leather/raspberry scents like Tuscan and La Yuk but pretty much wanted to scrub Godolphin. Only difference I can see is that Godolphin has the mixed fruit accord as opposed to straight raspberry.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
charliegee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 1:05 pm
I have 50ml of that and it is a favorite to put on when its freezing outside and you want something to feel warmer, along with Tea for Two. It reminds me of warm honey and oatmeal.

That's true what you say about certain notes and them being pronounced and detected differently. Incense is your troublesome one but I can't get enough of that! Still tempted to grab a FB of Interlude.

The CDG Kyoto Incense that I got from ebay recently the guy also put in a 1ml sample of Zagorsk (its a more pine heavy incense than Kyoto). I asked him if he was going to be stocking it and said yeah, if I order it he'll also throw in Avignon too so I have 6ml each coming. From the US though, will take a while.

SOTD - DZing!

Talking of leather this is an interesting one. Starts off quite animalic and with lots of hay like notes. As it dries it gets sweeter and the leather comes out more and is kind of new leather shoes like, but its a soft and very approachable leather (suede?) scent because of the sweetness. The further it goes, tonka style vanilla and dry sandalwood comes out and maybe a bit of ginger like spice.

Very interesting stuff that is a bit bizarre but not too challenging to wear casually. I have 8ml of it so that's plenty for now but if I only had a sample I would probably try to pick up a 30 or 50ml of this.
Dzing! sounds interesting. I would imagine that the Fragbuy price of $69 for 100ml is pretty good, but I don't have any experience with L'Artisan. There are a couple that interest me though like the Fig, Amber and Noir ones.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:38 pm
My troublesome note I think is bitter almond (Couldn't stand the Dua version of F'ing Fabulous which is pretty close to the original).

Also a mixed fruit accord on a leather centric frag is very off putting to my nose. I love leather/raspberry scents like Tuscan and La Yuk but pretty much wanted to scrub Godolphin. Only difference I can see is that Godolphin has the mixed fruit accord as opposed to straight raspberry.
Lol, your bitter almond hate was to my benefit. My wife actually like the Dua. I'm so ashamed. lol
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:40 pm
Lol, your bitter almond hate was to my benefit. My wife actually like the Dua. I'm so ashamed. lol
I'm glad she likes it. I just remember it stinging my nose and giving me a headache lol.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was just poking around the Costco US site and found the following which seem like deals. I'm not sure how difficult it is to order from them online, or if it has to be shipped within the US, but these seem pretty good. The Royales Exclusives retail in the $700 range I think, and even Fragbuy sells then for $400. So at 199.97 (about $265 CAD) that still seems pretty good, but only if you're already planning to be in the US of course.

Creed Royales Exclusive Pure White Cologne - 199.97 (75ml)
Creed Royales Exclusive Sublime Vanille - 199.97 (75ml)
Serge Lutens ML Arabie - 39.97 (50ml)
Byredo Accord Oud - 99.97 (100ml)
Byredo 1996 - 99.97 (100ml)
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 3:43 pm
I'm glad she likes it. I just remember it stinging my nose and giving me a headache lol.
SO MAXIMUM!!!
Oct 15, 2013
721 posts
1229 upvotes
I have a bit of trouble with bitter almond too. Hypnotic Poison even on paper was headache material and I had to put Pegasus in my gf collection as it had the double whammy of that and heavy jasmine on my skin, I find it better on someone else than on me.

It could be the mix of almonds and florals rather than just the almond itself because sweet almond I really like. Bois Dore and Ideal EDP for eg. I enjoy a lot.

SOTN - Premier Figuier.

I just had a quick try of Premier Figuier now DZing has all but gone, it's probably the most "figgy" one I've smelt to date. It reminds me of walking round Vancouver than anything Mediterranean, wet leaves in Stanley Park. That doesn't sound particularly appealing I suppose but it works. As it dries it does start heading warmer and drier as the coconut comes through a bit, I suppose to replicate the milkiness of the fig sap.

Great stuff and quite different to the likes of Fico di Amalfi and Molinard Figue, which add something a bit fresher to the leafy green smell with their citrus and cassis.
I need to try Philosykos again, but I'm pretty sure it is quite similar to Premier Figuier off memory.

I would say if you love fig notes and wanted ones for year round Fico or Figue work very well for late spring and summer and Premier Figuier (and what I remember of Philosykos) would work better in spring and fall when it is a little cooler I think.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Philosykos is super complex.

Has to be the most realistic leaf note I’ve ever smelled (on the opening) and then it transforms to a beautiful woodsy scent. Outstanding!

As far as leaf notes go, I still prefer the tomato leaf note in Italian Leather over the fig leaf note in Philosykos, but that opening is so realistic I wasn’t sure if I was at home or out in a forest somewhere lol
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
charliegee wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:27 pm
SOTN - Premier Figuier.

I just had a quick try of Premier Figuier now DZing has all but gone, it's probably the most "figgy" one I've smelt to date. It reminds me of walking round Vancouver than anything Mediterranean, wet leaves in Stanley Park. That doesn't sound particularly appealing I suppose but it works. As it dries it does start heading warmer and drier as the coconut comes through a bit, I suppose to replicate the milkiness of the fig sap.

Great stuff and quite different to the likes of Fico di Amalfi and Molinard Figue, which add something a bit fresher to the leafy green smell with their citrus and cassis.
I need to try Philosykos again, but I'm pretty sure it is quite similar to Premier Figuier off memory.

I would say if you love fig notes and wanted ones for year round Fico or Figue work very well for late spring and summer and Premier Figuier (and what I remember of Philosykos) would work better in spring and fall when it is a little cooler I think.
I've been getting into Fig a little more recently. The Armani Prive one is great, but lasts for 1hr on me. The Philosykos EDP and EDT are great. So is Ferrari Noble Fig. The fresh fig smell to me is earthy and fresh/juicey at the same time. There was one I tried fairly recently that became too coconutty for my liking, but I can't remember which one. lol
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21084 posts
10545 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CashJinx wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:58 pm
I've been getting into Fig a little more recently. The Armani Prive one is great, but lasts for 1hr on me. The Philosykos EDP and EDT are great. So is Ferrari Noble Fig. The fresh fig smell to me is earthy and fresh/juicey at the same time. There was one I tried fairly recently that became too coconutty for my liking, but I can't remember which one. lol
What about our Kilian adults too lol

Very nice fig milk note.
Oct 15, 2013
721 posts
1229 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 4:58 pm
As far as leaf notes go, I still prefer the tomato leaf note in Italian Leather over the fig leaf note in Philosykos, but that opening is so realistic I wasn’t sure if I was at home or out in a forest somewhere lol
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for that. Maybe grab something off ebay.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
2346 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 5:02 pm
What about our Kilian adults too lol

Very nice fig milk note.
Yup. I like that one too. It's a more gourmandy fig to me although fairly fresh, because of the other notes that are with it, whereas I find the other like Phyloskos and Noble Fig fresher.
Oct 15, 2013
721 posts
1229 upvotes
Comparison (and history) of Premier Figuier + Extreme and Philosykos EDT + EDP if you're interested: