• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2017 12:04 pm
Jan 8, 2015
313 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:43 pm
That's what I love the most about scents, not so much as a fashion accessory, but rather, how it can affect our moods, and root many of our memories, or set off imaginations. That's their art.
Maybe that's why I really like Maison Margiela Replica By the Fireplace. It takes me back to roasting marshmallows on our outdoor fireplace when I was a kid. Not as touching as the story you told, but fond memories for me.
Oct 6, 2010
95 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
peanutz wrote:
That's what I love the most about scents, not so much as a fashion accessory, but rather, how it can affect our moods, and root many of our memories, or set off imaginations. That's their art.
To me, fragrances add another dimension to life. And an easily accessible one at that. They can take you places without having to leave the room. I'm not one to shop for compliments; I wear fragrances for myself. (If I'm wearing something to please others, most times I'm having to restrain myself.) A fragrance can lift my mood or reinforce the mood I'm already in. Sometimes I just want to be alone, all by my brooding, contemplative self. (Encre Noire anyone?) Most days I can't wait to get home, have a shower, and wear what I really want to wear!
Jul 20, 2007
987 posts
145 upvotes
Brampton
peanutz wrote:
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:17 pm
Maybe that's why I really like Maison Margiela Replica By the Fireplace. It takes me back to roasting marshmallows on our outdoor fireplace when I was a kid. Not as touching as the story you told, but fond memories for me.
By The Fireplace smells like grilled corn on the cob to me lol. It reminds me of backyard barbecues and the midway where there are carnival games and amusement rides. Not at all a bad thing.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15698 posts
4438 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
mixpdf wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:17 pm
To me, fragrances add another dimension to life. And an easily accessible one at that. They can take you places without having to leave the room. I'm not one to shop for compliments; I wear fragrances for myself. (If I'm wearing something to please others, most times I'm having to restrain myself.) A fragrance can lift my mood or reinforce the mood I'm already in. Sometimes I just want to be alone, all by my brooding, contemplative self. (Encre Noire anyone?) Most days I can't wait to get home, have a shower, and wear what I really want to wear!
Couldn’t have said this better myself.

I wear fragrances for myself and I wear what I love (ie no sauvage no matter how many people love it lol)
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2005
1152 posts
52 upvotes
Ontario
When and how do you spray on your cologne?
Aug 22, 2009
655 posts
64 upvotes
Rocking Tom Ford Oud Wood today.

had a sample from Sephora. I love this juice. wish it had a little more performance, but I still appreciate the scent.

I may hunt down a decant of this one
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4523 posts
246 upvotes
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 10:04 am
sniff around. I've never smelt code but the top notes seem to be lemon and bergamot and a strong tonka bean presence on the dry down. So lemon/powdery is how the reviews describe the fragrance.

I don't recall seeing something else with this note profile but perhaps a more experienced fragrance afficionado can chime in.

He should at least try some Terre D'Hermes and Armaf Club D'Nuit Intense Man. TDH you can try at Sephora. CDNI would be a $35 blind buy from fragrancebuy.ca
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:05 pm
I think that heading to a store, sniffing, getting samples and then trying them on skin is going to be best. He might surprise you and himself by liking something different altogether. Maybe he'd like the Maison Margiela Replica Beach Walk which has a slightly salty citrus scent or At the Barbershop which is meant to be a fougere I think.

Atelier has many great fresh citrus scents but they're on the pricier side.

Hermes has quite a few citrus based fragrances and some nice greener ones like Un Jardin sur le Nil or Un Jardin sur le Toit (which I have recently seen at Winners and Marshalls for 79.99 vs 155 at Sephora).
Thank you. I think we will just head to the mall and sniff around. I'll check out the ones you both recommended.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15698 posts
4438 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
my SOTD - Tres Nuit Pour Homme, by the house of Armaf

Some say it's a poor man's Green Irish Tweed, but let me tell you my friends, being poor has never smelt so good!
Firebolt wrote:
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15698 posts
4438 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:25 am
In the morning after drying off from my shower. Here's a pretty good guide, http://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/10/1 ... fragrance/
wow great article. thanks for posting. Nice summary of how to apply:

Spray perfume on dry skin, preferably right after a shower. Hold the spray nozzle 3-6 inches from your skin while applying.

Start light. If you’re new to wearing fragrances, start with one single spray on your chest. As you become more comfortable and knowledgeable about how to wear cologne properly, you can branch out to a few more sprays in different areas…

Apply fragrance to heat areas. Your body heat will push the scent throughout the day, creating a nice scent trail commonly called sillage. Start with the warmest parts of your body: chest, neck, lower jaw, wrist, forearm, inner elbow, shoulder. Do not spray on all these points at the same time; start with one and then as you learn the scent, spray 2-3 other spots. I do not recommend spraying your crotch area; if you have issues there then check out Brett’s article on swamp crotch.

Re-spray only when required. You can add more sprays to your wrists depending on how long the scent lasts. For most this will be in the second half of the day.

Don’t kill the note. Rubbing the perfume into the skin seems a sensible thing to do. In reality, it breaks the molecular bond, making the scent weaker.

Don’t spray and walk. Spraying a fragrance in the air and walking through the mist is worthless. Most of the fragrance drops straight to the floor.

Don’t spray fragrance on your clothes. In this case the fragrance isn’t allowed to mix with your oils, and hence it can’t naturally go through the stages of notes like it should. Also, the oils in a fragrance will stain many fabrics.

Don’t splash. If you are applying cologne from a regular bottle, take one finger and press it against the opening of your bottle and then tip it over gently. Dab onto the parts of the body described above.

Less is more. Fragrance should be discovered, not announced. People who are close by should be able to smell your cologne, but not be overpowered by it.

I typically hold the nozzle like 3 inches max from my skin. I'm cheap and don't want to waste any juice lol
Firebolt wrote:
Oct 6, 2010
95 posts
36 upvotes
Toronto
SOTD - Prada Amber Pour Homme
SOTN - Relpica Jazz Club (...testing)
Jan 8, 2015
313 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:12 am
my SOTD - Tres Nuit Pour Homme, by the house of Armaf

Some say it's a poor man's Green Irish Tweed, but let me tell you my friends, being poor has never smelt so good!
Personally I don't care about whether something is a clone or not. If it smells good, it smells good. Sometimes you can get a decant of an original for the same price as a clone and sometimes you can't.

Speaking of "clones", got my Le Parfait and Herod delivered this morning. Le Parfait is supposed to be a CDNI and Tres Nuit mix. So if you mix two clones together does that make the result original or is it still a clone? It's not trying to be Aventus or GIT. I sprayed on my business card to test it out since it was a blind buy. Good stuff. No regrets right now. I'll wear it another day to give it a better test.

Also speaking of clones, or fragrances that remind you of other fragrances, I tried MAC Velvet Teddy yesterday. Man does that ever remind me of TF TV. I sprayed it last night (8:00ish) on the back of my hand in the store. Several hand washings and two showers later I can still faintly smell it right now. At $65 this stuff is a steal if you ask me.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15698 posts
4438 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:11 pm
Personally I don't care about whether something is a clone or not. If it smells good, it smells good.
exactly. Clone or not, a scent is either good (on it's own accord) or not good.

I need to try that Velvet Teddy....
Firebolt wrote:
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4859 posts
734 upvotes
mixpdf wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 5:17 pm
Great post.
nasa25 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:12 am
LOL That is so RFD.
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:11 pm
So if you mix two clones together does that make the result original or is it still a clone?
I consider layering to create unique scents! I know purists and fragsnobs don't like the idea (mutilating/bastardizing someone else's creation) but I sometimes do this to amateurly mix notes.

I also don't care if fragrances are cheap, if they smell good. There are a few I miss because they've been discontinued. Gap "Dream" -- NEVER found an appropriate dupe of this stuff and I still miss it from my high school days. Freesia, orange blossom, violet, synthetic synthetic synthetic, and smelled airy and dreamy like its name.

The most telling way that smells cheap to me, is if it's obvious that it's been sprayed several times on themselves. Because you know they could/would only do that if it's cheap.

I actually do the spray-walk onto clothes (avoiding sensitizers on the skin), and it works for me to smell myself all day long.
Jan 8, 2015
313 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
peanutz wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 12:36 pm
I consider layering to create unique scents! I know purists and fragsnobs don't like the idea (mutilating/bastardizing someone else's creation) but I sometimes do this to amateurly mix notes.

I actually do the spray-walk onto clothes (avoiding sensitizers on the skin), and it works for me to smell myself all day long.
I'm not really into layering. Not against it either. I used to do the walk and spray until it stained my clothes. :( Now I spray before getting dressed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)