• Last Updated:
  • May 21st, 2018 11:29 am
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 11:43 pm
Got my PDM samples and am trying out Layton today.
I think I like it.
it's spicy, but has a touch of sweet to it.
It has to be one of the top fragrances I have in bottle or sample in regards to projection.
Will see how long it lasts.
Going to try Pegasus or Herod tomorrow.
Glad you liked it at first. Did your opinion change later or do you still find it great? I think you'll find Herod to project and last longer than Layton, not that Layton isn't already good for that.
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SOTD - Maison Margiela - Replica By The Fireplace.
Nov 7, 2007
770 posts
538 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
CashJinx wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 10:56 am
Glad you liked it at first. Did your opinion change later or do you still find it great? I think you'll find Herod to project and last longer than Layton, not that Layton isn't already good for that.
I did 3 sprays of Layton at 9 pm, it started to become a skin scent after about 10 hours. I still like it, but I think 3 sprays is too much.
If Herod lasts longer, that's crazy good.
I was reading up on Layton Exclusive, some say it's similar, but less sweet and with coffee and oud, minus the apple.
May try and get a sample of Exclusive.
Will try Herod or Pegasus today.
Also ordered last night Armaf Derby Blanche White, suppose to be similar to Silver Mountain Water.
Just checked my email and apparently I ordered Layton, but I don't remember ordering it, this is strange.
I'll have to see whether I like it more than Herod or Pegasus, if not, I'll return it and get the one I like.
My Millesime Imperial is suppose to be delivered today, yay.
Contest Wins 2018:
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:39 am
I did 3 sprays of Layton at 9 pm, it started to become a skin scent after about 10 hours. I still like it, but I think 3 sprays is too much.
If Herod lasts longer, that's crazy good.
I was reading up on Layton Exclusive, some say it's similar, but less sweet and with coffee and oud, minus the apple.
May try and get a sample of Exclusive.
Will try Herod or Pegasus today.
Also ordered last night Armaf Derby Blanche White, suppose to be similar to Silver Mountain Water.
Just checked my email and apparently I ordered Layton, but I don't remember ordering it, this is strange.
I'll have to see whether I like it more than Herod or Pegasus, if not, I'll return it and get the one I like.
My Millesime Imperial is suppose to be delivered today, yay.
I've been trying to get a sample or something of Exclusif, but no luck yet. :( Derby Blanche is quite similar to SMW. I got my nose on it in a discount shop and compared to my sample of SMW. I've also heard that Al Haramain L'aventure Blanche is supposed to be a very good clone of SMW.

I wouldn't say I like Herod more than Layton in an absolute way, but there are times when I favour one over the other. Layton may be more of a crowd pleaser if you're concerned about wearing it at work or something.

Hope you enjoy them! If you're not happy with your MI, let me know and maybe we can swap or something.
Apr 19, 2011
50 posts
31 upvotes
NORTH YORK
SOTD - Designer Shaik Opulent Shaik Classic No. 77
Smells nice, week projection. An expensive version of Mont Blanc Individuel, which has much better performance, although not as smooth.
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
boomer777 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 4:12 pm
Smells nice, week projection. An expensive version of Mont Blanc Individuel, which has much better performance, although not as smooth.
Sounds interesting. People often compare the Mont Blanc to Creed Original Santal. I've always wondered how close it might be
Nov 7, 2007
770 posts
538 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
CashJinx wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:11 am
SOTD - Xerjoff 1888
I am trying to find out if there are any Xerjoff that I might like.
So far, by reviews and by the notes they contain, haven't found one.
Contest Wins 2018:
Nov 7, 2007
770 posts
538 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
boomer777 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 4:12 pm
Not sure I've heard of this brand, will check it out.
Contest Wins 2018:
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:55 pm
I am trying to find out if there are any Xerjoff that I might like.
So far, by reviews and by the notes they contain, haven't found one.
I find it hard to go by the notes. It doesn't help that sometimes sites like Fragrantica don't have the right ones listed either. There's also different ways for scents to present the same notes. The first few ouds I smelled we're really skanky, but I kept sampling and smelling and I ended up liking Royal Oud enough to buy a bottle. One Xerjoff that seems to review quite well is Renaissance. I have a sample of it and I like it. It may end up being bottle worthy.
Nov 7, 2007
770 posts
538 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
CashJinx wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 10:39 pm
I find it hard to go by the notes. It doesn't help that sometimes sites like Fragrantica don't have the right ones listed either. There's also different ways for scents to present the same notes. The first few ouds I smelled we're really skanky, but I kept sampling and smelling and I ended up liking Royal Oud enough to buy a bottle. One Xerjoff that seems to review quite well is Renaissance. I have a sample of it and I like it. It may end up being bottle worthy.
It sure is tough.
I try to watch reviews with stuff that I have and like to see how the reviewer interprets them.
Then use that to try and associate what else I might like, if that makes any sense.
Just like PDM, I had on Layton yesterday, and started to really like it.
When I first got the samples and just did a spot on my arm/hand, I liked Layton then too.
But, as for Pegasus, I had a really tough time smelling it.
But today, I wore Pegasus, I could smell it well, and I like it. Probably get a bottle when the sample runs out, or if it's on for a good price.
As for Herod, I just did an arm shot and don't like it. I really don't like the tobacco smell, or whatever smell I get from it. I am an ex=smoker, go figure.
Since I have the sample, I will try wearing it tomorrow and see if I have a different view of it.
I'll also check out Renaissance as well to see what I think of it from reviews and such.
Contest Wins 2018:
Nov 7, 2007
770 posts
538 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
Just a general question.
Do you only buy bottles of fragrance, or would/ do you buy splits as well?
I ask because some bottles are really nice, like PDM, Xerjoff, etc, and having a bottle in the collection is great.
Others, whether it has unimpressive packaging or for cost savings, I would buy a split from someone online.
Contest Wins 2018:
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 11:52 pm
It sure is tough.
I try to watch reviews with stuff that I have and like to see how the reviewer interprets them.
Then use that to try and associate what else I might like, if that makes any sense.
Just like PDM, I had on Layton yesterday, and started to really like it.
When I first got the samples and just did a spot on my arm/hand, I liked Layton then too.
But, as for Pegasus, I had a really tough time smelling it.
But today, I wore Pegasus, I could smell it well, and I like it. Probably get a bottle when the sample runs out, or if it's on for a good price.
As for Herod, I just did an arm shot and don't like it. I really don't like the tobacco smell, or whatever smell I get from it. I am an ex=smoker, go figure.
Since I have the sample, I will try wearing it tomorrow and see if I have a different view of it.
I'll also check out Renaissance as well to see what I think of it from reviews and such.
As I experience more stuff, the reviews become more helpful to me when they compare it to things I know. So they might say that fragrance x is brighter or smoother than fragrance y or fragrance x is a version of fragrance y with more citrus/floral/vanilla components. That sometimes helps me out more than the note lists.

Consider getting Armaf Crave in lieu of Pegasus. It's very close to it in smell and performance and it's super value for the money. The Craze bottle isn't great, but hey it's only $30. I actually decanted some of it into another sprayer.

Herod wasn't an instant love at first smell for me, but it grew on me quite a bit. It does change a little over time when you wear it and it's very possible that it doesn't play nice with your body chemistry. I don't get as strong a tobacco note from it a I do from others.

IMO fragrances in general are subjective. There's many that reviewers or friends etc rave about that I'm just not a big fan of. It doesn't mean I don't value their opinions though.
Jan 8, 2015
909 posts
613 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 11:58 pm
Just a general question.
Do you only buy bottles of fragrance, or would/ do you buy splits as well?
I ask because some bottles are really nice, like PDM, Xerjoff, etc, and having a bottle in the collection is great.
Others, whether it has unimpressive packaging or for cost savings, I would buy a split from someone online.
For me, full presentations can be really nice/cool, and that will make me prefer a bottle, but I don't have any reservations about buying splits/decants. Unfortunately , sometimes you just can't find a reliable split of something and so a full bottle is your only option.
Nov 7, 2007
770 posts
538 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
Cash you're right, I wore Herod today and I like it. Go figure.
It smells quite nice after the initial spray, more like a sweetish mild pipe tobacco. A lot less in your face than the first test I did.
May get the Armaf Crave, funny thing is Pegasus is the cheaper one of the three PDMs I like. I think 165 for a bottle at Fragrancebuy for a tester w/cap.

I agree, frags are very subjective. It just amazes me also how different they smell on a test strip compared to when you actually wear it.
Contest Wins 2018: