• Oct 20th, 2018 11:07 am
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 12:52 am
Cash you're right, I wore Herod today and I like it. Go figure.
It smells quite nice after the initial spray, more like a sweetish mild pipe tobacco. A lot less in your face than the first test I did.
May get the Armaf Crave, funny thing is Pegasus is the cheaper one of the three PDMs I like. I think 165 for a bottle at Fragrancebuy for a tester w/cap.

I agree, frags are very subjective. It just amazes me also how different they smell on a test strip compared to when you actually wear it.
Glad you like it. It was the same way when I was ordering from Fragrancebuy. I ended up buy a bottle of Layton and Craze.
Nov 7, 2007
889 posts
714 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
CashJinx wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 1:14 am
Glad you like it. It was the same way when I was ordering from Fragrancebuy. I ended up buy a bottle of Layton and Craze.
Wore Layton today, and as time went on, it became more and more cloying to me.
I have decided to return the bottle I have on order.
May try Pegasus but will get some Crave first.
After that, maybe a 100ml split of Aventus, and that will be it for a while.
That will give me 8 full bottles to use this year, and maybe if there is something I really like, get it later on.
If I can't be happy with 9 full bottles, then, I don't know what!
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwk1 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 1:56 am
Wore Layton today, and as time went on, it became more and more cloying to me.
I have decided to return the bottle I have on order.
May try Pegasus but will get some Crave first.
After that, maybe a 100ml split of Aventus, and that will be it for a while.
That will give me 8 full bottles to use this year, and maybe if there is something I really like, get it later on.
If I can't be happy with 9 full bottles, then, I don't know what!
Too bad Layton didn't work out for you.

This hobby will suck you in unless you got great willpower. I thought I would have enough after my first 10 bottles, but here I am at close to 20 now, with my sights set on a few more. lol
Nov 7, 2007
889 posts
714 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
CashJinx wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:31 pm
Too bad Layton didn't work out for you.

This hobby will suck you in unless you got great willpower. I thought I would have enough after my first 10 bottles, but here I am at close to 20 now, with my sights set on a few more. lol
Just glad I wore it enough to determine I don't like it.
Sucks that I will have to pay shipping back, that's all.

Yeah, I guess it's like any hobby/interest, always too enthusiastic at the start.
Doesn't seem to matter what I get interested in, always go overboard!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
I am holding steady at 6, with a possible 7th in mind...new launch I haven't smelled yet. ;) Of course it involved me buying and selling some stuff when I changed my mind. It's been quite a journey.

I also want to add that personally, as a minor perfume enthusiast, I actually don't like most men's scents. Some guys have an incredible natural scent, it comes through in their hair and armpits when they're clean but sweated a bit, say after a light workout, and there is really no contest. So if any woman has complimented on how you smell, you might want to consider how a fragrance complements you rather than overtakes.

Thought I was the only one but I spoke with another woman once who got widowed very young, in her early 40's. She took to dating with a mission, and met another man she's marrying...she basically said she knew once she sniffed behind his ears LOL.

Not wanting to be rude, but it's partly correlated with how fit a guy is too and if he doesn't eat too much junk...some guys are neutral but others who aren't so fit kind of smell "sour". OK I digress, sorry if I offend anyone, but if you've been complimented on how you smell you might consider saving some money on a large fragrance wardrobe and flaunt it.
Nov 7, 2007
889 posts
714 upvotes
Portage la Prairie
peanutz wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 12:56 am
I am holding steady at 6, with a possible 7th in mind...new launch I haven't smelled yet. ;) Of course it involved me buying and selling some stuff when I changed my mind. It's been quite a journey.

I also want to add that personally, as a minor perfume enthusiast, I actually don't like most men's scents. Some guys have an incredible natural scent, it comes through in their hair and armpits when they're clean but sweated a bit, say after a light workout, and there is really no contest. So if any woman has complimented on how you smell, you might want to consider how a fragrance complements you rather than overtakes.

Thought I was the only one but I spoke with another woman once who got widowed very young, in her early 40's. She took to dating with a mission, and met another man she's marrying...she basically said she knew once she sniffed behind his ears LOL.

Not wanting to be rude, but it's partly correlated with how fit a guy is too and if he doesn't eat too much junk...some guys are neutral but others who aren't so fit kind of smell "sour". OK I digress, sorry if I offend anyone, but if you've been complimented on how you smell you might consider saving some money on a large fragrance wardrobe and flaunt it.
Hey peanutz, great post!
For me, pheromones are what people are attracted to, not fragrances. If I am honest, I started wearing fragrances because I like the scent. I don't wear them for the sake of other people to smell them. It wouldn't make sense to me to wear something you dislike, just so someone else can enjoy it. Also, you can't smell your own pheromones, hence why I use fragrances for myself. They can help alter your mood, and give you self confidence.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1307 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm still searching for a perfect happy orange scent. Something like The Body Shop's Satsuma...but not so functional-smelling, like air-freshener or cleaning supplies. Atelier Cologne's Orange Sanguine was close, but inconsistent in how I perceived it. Once I woke up to a dream, but most other times the drydown was so heavy on the "white musk" that it smells like laundry softener.
I love a citrus note. Have you ever gotten to try Bigarade from Nina Ricci? It's long discontinued but was a beauty. Also the original Calyx by Prescriptives, it was such a beautiful grapefruit/citrus scent.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1307 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 7:09 pm

- Atelier Cologne's Citron d'Erable from Sephora is a snuggly, slightly feminine (yet still mostly unisex) syrupy-sandalwood that I find comforting and warming. Sometimes I spray this before bed, just so I can go to sleep to it.
I have to find this one, maple and lemon. Two of my favourite notes. The only thing that would make it more enticing would be vanilla.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1307 upvotes
I just found this thread and haven't read though it yet. So this might have been mentioned already.

I would love to find a scent reminiscent of a Starbucks London Fog. Bergamot, aqua/water, black tea, vanilla, lavender and a clean warm milky note.
Anybody know of one?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:33 am
I love a citrus note. Have you ever gotten to try Bigarade from Nina Ricci? It's long discontinued but was a beauty. Also the original Calyx by Prescriptives, it was such a beautiful grapefruit/citrus scent.
Nope, there are many vintages I have not smelled and I know I will never smell them as people did when they were contemporary to their availability. :) I hope you have enjoyed them. My tastes have also changed since that post Smiling Face With Open Mouth, I now crave more complexity but I still keep my Satsuma for the orange happiness.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6605 posts
1307 upvotes
peanutz wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:07 am
Nope, there are many vintages I have not smelled and I know I will never smell them as people did when they were contemporary to their availability. :) I hope you have enjoyed them. My tastes have also changed since that post Smiling Face With Open Mouth, I now crave more complexity but I still keep my Satsuma for the orange happiness.
I have enjoyed them so much. Classics. I remember when Poison first came out and we were in Florida. The streets of Palm Beach reeked of the stuff. It smelled like grape bubblegum, in a really good way. Lol.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6188 posts
1343 upvotes
bonterra wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:15 am
I have enjoyed them so much. Classics. I remember when Poison first came out and we were in Florida. The streets of Palm Beach reeked of the stuff. It smelled like grape bubblegum, in a really good way. Lol.
Are you a perfume enthusiast, then? I've seen you over in the Food forum, you have a sophisticated sense of smell (and obviously it's related to taste.)

I started out having such basic preferences...not a bad thing; initially I was overwhelmed and confused by complex scents but after becoming more conscious of various notes, I now seek contrast and depth more than I used to. It reminds me of the first time I tried blue cheese, or anchovy paste...at first it's new and overwhelming, might repulse...but now whenever they are part of a recipe, even in small amounts, I notice how amazing they are.

https://www.fragrantica.com/ You can try searching by Notes by inputting the things like bergamot, lavender, vanilla to get an idea of what scents to sniff, but be warned, just have to sniff, sniff everything. I suspect that a) the search is buggy, and b) many fragrances are either missing notes or have older formulations compared to the modern pared-down versions.

Anyway the one I'm waiting for is Chanel Coco Mademoiselle Intense to be available in Canada. Europe & US already has it but it will actually be cheaper once it hits our stores rather than going through conversion. It's already a hit and probably the general public will smell it on every third woman for a little while...and I don't care. lol Chanel gets wonderful labdanum (amber note) and it will be married to patchouli and vanilla/tonka.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bonterra wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:00 am
I just found this thread and haven't read though it yet. So this might have been mentioned already.

I would love to find a scent reminiscent of a Starbucks London Fog. Bergamot, aqua/water, black tea, vanilla, lavender and a clean warm milky note.
Anybody know of one?
Maybe this will do. https://demeterfragrance.com/earl-grey-tea.html
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2015
1606 posts
1586 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bonterra wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 12:53 am
I have to find this one, maple and lemon. Two of my favourite notes. The only thing that would make it more enticing would be vanilla.
I recently got a sample of Xerjoff LIra. The notes are listed as Top: Bergamot, Blood Orange, Lavender Heart: Rose, Jasmine, Cinnamon, Licorice Base: Vanilla, Musk, Caramel.

I mostly detect the lemon and the vanilla. I almost feel that it skips the rose jasmine and cinnamon, but maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to it. I also don't detect any licorice either. It almost comes off like a lemon meringue at first, but dries down to a creamy smooth vanilla.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

nasa25