Beauty & Wellness

Fragheads Unite! Fragrance thread for all things Perfume

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2017 8:30 pm
Mar 26, 2015
27 posts
1 upvote
Richmond, BC
I'm looking into some travel atomizers..

Milano looks best so far.. but I'm concerned about the evaporation etc.

Any thoughts?
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
15630 posts
4381 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I have to say each time I wear VUI I love it more and more.

Such a unique scent and i LOVE the vanilla dry down.
Firebolt wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 1:09 pm
give lots of head for sick knee fadez, give lots of lap dances for ca$h wallet fades. Always pop that leg when kissing for dope honey combs, knee lots of mans in the crotch for killer whiskers, low ride like an og for them stacks. And traintracks? Only achievable by a legend in the denim game
Mar 3, 2011
546 posts
262 upvotes
Ok, well here it is.

TV vs. VT battle (I feel like a street fighter or mortal kombat music should be entered here).

Tobacco Vanille
Top Notes: Tobacco Leaf and Spices
Heart Notes: Tobacco Flower, Vanilla, Tonka Bean and Cacao
Base Notes: Dried Fruits and Woody Notes

Velvet Teddy
Top Notes: Bergamot, Ginger and Tobacco Flower
Heart Notes: Mimosa, Honey and Vanilla Orchid
Base Notes: Musk, Papyrus and Tonka Bean

You can see that the notes are all over the place on this one. I sprayed both this morning at 8am with one spray each on the inside elbow - the VT you can definitely smell the the notes in this order bergamot, tobacco and hint of ginger, I started to smell the honey and vanilla kick in and now in the complete dry down stage and all I am left with (and still going strong) is Tobacco, Vanilla and Tonka - dont know where the musk or papyrus comes into play but didn't really smell those.

Now on to TV you smell the spiciness/peppery after you spray and then the tobacco hits you, I notice this with all Tom Fords that the great smell of his products dont smell fantastic until the dry down. I had a chance to smell the heart notes and still very tobacco present but the cacao kicks in followed by the tonka with the vanilla. Now in the complete dry down stage, these scene is super faint and feel that it's more of a EdT than an EdP, if I had imagine that you put these two side by side in blind smell test you would think that the VT is definitely an EdP and that the TV is more of the EdT, it hits you right out the gate and then just fades away as the rounds progress in this boxing match. Smelling my arm now you can definitely breath in a power punch of Tobacco and Vanilla.. my wife likes to call VT a tobacco boozy vanilla scent and I dont disagree.

I think for me if I can get samples of this and not have to pay it's good but don't think I could see myself dropping serious coin on on a scent with a weak sillage while the money I spend on a full bottle of TV I could buy 4 bottles of VT.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Smiley09 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:57 am
bestbottles.com if you want the ones most decanters/splitters use

Otherwise it's from China vs aliexpress for me if you can wait like 2-3 months for shipping. I have a bunch of funnels and 5-10ml glass atomizers incoming with the little metal covering.

If I wanted a lot of 15-50ml ones to decant everything I'd do bestbottle though.
Thanks for the info. I went through and picked all the stuff I'd want, then I had to add more to get to $50. After making my order about $51, I went through to check on the shipping and it came out to $42 for shipping. If I ship to my Kinekpoint it changes to about $12.50. I guess I'll wait and see if I'm heading across the border anytime soon. Thanks for the info!!
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
gahafa wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 4:14 am
I'm looking into some travel atomizers..

Milano looks best so far.. but I'm concerned about the evaporation etc.

Any thoughts?
It is nice looking, but since it uses the same filling mechanism as the other Travalos I think that evaporation is inevitable. However, if you don't let it sit in there for long periods of time, then I think that the evaporation will be minimal. The other thing is that they can be difficult to clean out. So once you put a frag in there, you have a Travalo designated to that Frag, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
markopas wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:13 am
Ok, well here it is.

TV vs. VT battle (I feel like a street fighter or mortal kombat music should be entered here).

Tobacco Vanille
Top Notes: Tobacco Leaf and Spices
Heart Notes: Tobacco Flower, Vanilla, Tonka Bean and Cacao
Base Notes: Dried Fruits and Woody Notes

Velvet Teddy
Top Notes: Bergamot, Ginger and Tobacco Flower
Heart Notes: Mimosa, Honey and Vanilla Orchid
Base Notes: Musk, Papyrus and Tonka Bean

You can see that the notes are all over the place on this one. I sprayed both this morning at 8am with one spray each on the inside elbow - the VT you can definitely smell the the notes in this order bergamot, tobacco and hint of ginger, I started to smell the honey and vanilla kick in and now in the complete dry down stage and all I am left with (and still going strong) is Tobacco, Vanilla and Tonka - dont know where the musk or papyrus comes into play but didn't really smell those.

Now on to TV you smell the spiciness/peppery after you spray and then the tobacco hits you, I notice this with all Tom Fords that the great smell of his products dont smell fantastic until the dry down. I had a chance to smell the heart notes and still very tobacco present but the cacao kicks in followed by the tonka with the vanilla. Now in the complete dry down stage, these scene is super faint and feel that it's more of a EdT than an EdP, if I had imagine that you put these two side by side in blind smell test you would think that the VT is definitely an EdP and that the TV is more of the EdT, it hits you right out the gate and then just fades away as the rounds progress in this boxing match. Smelling my arm now you can definitely breath in a power punch of Tobacco and Vanilla.. my wife likes to call VT a tobacco boozy vanilla scent and I dont disagree.

I think for me if I can get samples of this and not have to pay it's good but don't think I could see myself dropping serious coin on on a scent with a weak sillage while the money I spend on a full bottle of TV I could buy 4 bottles of VT.
Thank you for the comparison. I'd pretty much agree with all your comments.

I still find it funny that MAC and TF are both owned by Estee Lauder, both make a very similar fragrance and their initials are the mirror reflections of each other TV - VT. I may very well just buy this and forget about TV and pursue Mandarino D'Amafli instead.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SOTD - Histoires De Parfums Ambre 114. Just got this as part of a sample collection from Sephora. If you like Amber, get your nose on this. Dries down to a nice powdery vanilla. This may be on my next order from Fragrancebuy.
Mar 3, 2011
546 posts
262 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:59 am
Thank you for the comparison. I'd pretty much agree with all your comments.

I still find it funny that MAC and TF are both owned by Estee Lauder, both make a very similar fragrance and their initials are the mirror reflections of each other TV - VT. I may very well just buy this and forget about TV and pursue Mandarino D'Amafli instead.
I can tell you now that the VT has dissipated to the point that it's now in lingering scent of what the TV was a couple of hours ago - I smell both arms and the VT is still pretty much prominent and smells exactly like the TV and now when I smell TV its almost completely gone.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
markopas wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 12:35 pm
I can tell you now that the VT has dissipated to the point that it's now in lingering scent of what the TV was a couple of hours ago - I smell both arms and the VT is still pretty much prominent and smells exactly like the TV and now when I smell TV its almost completely gone.
Would it fair to say then, that from your experience, from a performance point of view, VT > TV. I haven't tried TV on my skin recently, but VT was a beast. Now which one wins for you in terms of scent?
May 28, 2006
577 posts
165 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:38 am
Thanks for the info. I went through and picked all the stuff I'd want, then I had to add more to get to $50. After making my order about $51, I went through to check on the shipping and it came out to $42 for shipping. If I ship to my Kinekpoint it changes to about $12.50. I guess I'll wait and see if I'm heading across the border anytime soon. Thanks for the info!!
Yeah the shipping minimums aren't great, but again, most of the guys who use them run splits all the time and probably go through hundreds of bottles a year, and live in the States which helps. I'm not sure of a Canadian alternative, I just wait the few months and get them from China. Seems like the same thing, and works (5-10ml glass atomizers that have the metal covering, filled with a funnel or spraying into it).
Mar 3, 2011
546 posts
262 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:08 pm
Would it fair to say then, that from your experience, from a performance point of view, VT > TV. I haven't tried TV on my skin recently, but VT was a beast. Now which one wins for you in terms of scent?
If it was a cost for cost aspect and let's say that VT and TV are both $$ for 50-100ml - I would pick the VT everytime just because I feel that I would have to respray TV more and more daily while VT will still be there at the end of the day lingering that lovely Tobacco Vanilla scent. You know how powerfully scent can be so respraying can be a little much especially if it's a strong scent to begin with so others around you might not enjoy it as much as you do.

This is why workplaces have "fragrance" policies in place for this type of deal - a lot of people are very sensitive and re-applying this scent could prevent your workplace allowing any fragrances in the workplace at all so if I had a frag which I could apply once until I got home it would definitely be the VT and yes, it is a beast as you already know.
Jan 8, 2015
307 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Smiley09 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:35 pm
Yeah the shipping minimums aren't great, but again, most of the guys who use them run splits all the time and probably go through hundreds of bottles a year, and live in the States which helps. I'm not sure of a Canadian alternative, I just wait the few months and get them from China. Seems like the same thing, and works (5-10ml glass atomizers that have the metal covering, filled with a funnel or spraying into it).
Yeah seems that way. I'll just order from aliexpress.
Nov 5, 2017
4 posts
what do you think about Serge Lutens Chergui? It does remind me a lot of TF Tobacco Vanille. However, as I smell it longer, I do sense the differences between these fragrances. I can't tell what are those differences because I'm not an expert. But I feel that both of them got me. which one do you think is more attractive, more elegant, and more wearable?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4846 posts
721 upvotes
Velvet Teddy sounds amazing. I'm going to give it a sniff sometime this week, if available. Even the notes are more attractive for me versus Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille (actually, for whatever reason, no Tom Ford scent has really drawn me in.)

Cacao is a particular note I somewhat dislike, so the fact that it's missing in VT makes it even better. I can see how VT has the slightly more feminine shade on the unisex composition.

It is most likely too warm and rich for my personality, but it probably smells great on certain men or women.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4846 posts
721 upvotes
CashJinx wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:59 am
:)

Not sure how much you know about Estee Lauder, its standing in the industry, and its historic/present-day influence. Just for discussion's sake (not assuming you don't know)--they are massive and own or buy many different sub-brands...and it seems to me that while they may share certain core signature formulations/compositions, the brands operate with their own teams.

In the fragrances/beauty world, they used to be a prestige brand, one of the few American brands to have that reputation "back in the day." In the 90's, my mother used to gift important ladies in our life with Estee Lauder perfumes (her favourite to give was White Linen edt.) It was moderately priced, but neither cheap nor tacky, as the quality of their products was top notch...and several of their fragrances (and noses such as Grojsman) achieved fame and commercial success for their innovation. Unfortunately, their history and reputation also means they have a bit of an "old lady" image.

I consider EL to be an affordable American luxury brand. In cosmetics and skincare, they do a ton of research (i.e. they make some excellent products), and many of their formulations branded EL are as good as other brands that can cost 2-3 times more. The Tom Ford cosmetics line has mostly marketing that drives its price as far as I can tell, because people feel a certain way when a product is packaged just perfectly or signals decadence, to the user or nearby audiences. For instance, a Tom Ford lipstick can cost $70 for essentially a similar formulation/quality product labelled EL that costs $30 or MAC that costs $20 (all three owned by EL head company.) These are about on par with, say, a Dior lipstick that costs $45 and superior to $45 lipsticks by Guerlain, YSL, or Givenchy. I'm pretty sure Clinique was originally targeted to the younger demographics (and EL for the more mature) until Clinique spun off and established their own brand reputation. (As a side note, Clinique formulations are usually not quite as good as the EL--I suspect, as a result of their teams and divisions operating somewhat separately--but at one point Clinique marketed themselves as being hypoallergenic due to their simplicity.)

As we're Canadian, I'm sure we all know MAC was once its own star Canadian company until EL bought them out. I am still heartbroken over a formulation change of one of their daily SPF moisturizers that happened about 10 years ago. There was never anything like it across any other brand that I knew of, and none since. I think EL never went crazy on raising their prices over the years to keep loyal fans...but basically what's happened is, as I said, something like a ~$20 Amplified lipstick is an incredible bargain compared to industry alternatives.

What I am trying to say is that TF Tobacco Vanille looks to have a slightly more complex formulation (more notes) but the difference in price is not necessarily because they considerably cheaped out on the MAC Velvet Teddy; it's likely due mostly to being marketed to different audiences.