Expired Hot Deals

Free 7" Galaxy Tab 3 for opening an account with TD [Over, On-going Discussion Only]

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2014 11:10 am
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes

Free 7" Galaxy Tab 3 for opening an account with TD [Over, On-going Discussion Only]

Hi All,
I just noticed that all new customers who open up a Select Service Account or Infinity Account with TD Bank will get a free 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab (newest version as of July 2013) provided that two out of three conditions are met.

Link to the Promotion

To get the latest 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab (Galaxy Tab 3), follow these steps:
  1. By July 19th, 2013, open a Select Service or Infinity account TOO LATE NOW
  2. By August 30th, 2013 (complete 2 of the following 3): YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO COMPLETE
    • Complete one recurring, eligible Direct Deposit
    • Complete one bill payment (via EasyWeb or the TD Mobile app)
    • Complete a Pre-Authorized Debit transaction
Highlight of the fine print:
1 This offer is available to individuals 19 years of age or older who (a) open a TD Select Service or Infinity Canadian Dollar Chequing Account by July 19, 2013, and (b) complete two of the following by August 30, 2013: (1) a direct deposit; (2) a pre-authorized debit; or (3) an online bill payment through EasyWeb or the TD mobile app. Individuals who have an existing TD chequing account or had one that was closed after March 15, 2013 are not eligible for this offer. Whether or not a recurring direct deposit (for example from your employer or pension provider) is an acceptable form of direct deposit for this offer is subject to our approval. Limit of one latest 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab per customer and per joint account. The Samsung Galaxy Tabs will be sent to account Holders up to a maximum of 10-12 weeks after all conditions have been met. Product may not be as shown. The latest Samsung Galaxy Tab is as of July 2013. This offer can be changed, extended or withdrawn at any time by TD Canada Trust, and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or discount for the same product. Other conditions may apply.

Existing TD Customers can enter to win one here. One per Branch

This isn't a freebie because you do need to open account and maintain a minimum balance, or you will face service charges.

I personally was going to be opening a new chequeing account anyway, so I am thinking of going for the Select Service with the free Gold Elite Visa, Safety deposit box, free books of cheques and road side assistance.
Edward_K wrote:
Jul 5th, 2013 11:27 pm
Hi folks, I just opened an Infinity account, and during the process, I got a copy of TD's intranet documents on tablet qualifications (Every Day Banking Campaign 2013 Personal Chequing Customer Offers).

Even though the website does not indicate the PAD (Pre authorized Debits) needs to be recurring, according to the document, it needs to be "on-going automatic debit to qualify".

There are also, other "existing chequing customer offers", non-tablet options mentioned in the document (marked "un-advertised"...).
Psygineer = Psychological Engineer, when A.I. gets strong enough, I will be the first in the field of Android counseling.
1074 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2010
3455 posts
995 upvotes
Mississauga
As a student who isn't spending too much per month, this isn't worth it just for the sake of the tablet, right? Have a visa with another bank that's about to expire but it's 0$ annual fee.
Mar 26, 2012
263 posts
319 upvotes
Ottawa
can you cancel after August 30th without penalty? I looked at the terms but couldn't find anything concrete
Deal Fanatic
Mar 4, 2004
8350 posts
1012 upvotes
Montreal
Said212 wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:38 pm
As a student who isn't spending too much per month, this isn't worth it just for the sake of the tablet, right? Have a visa with another bank that's about to expire but it's 0$ annual fee.
Fees:
$14.95/month - waived with a $3,500 minimum monthly balance2
Senior's Rebate: 25% off the monthly fee for account holders aged 60+ (a value of $3.75 per month)3

Either keep $3,500 in the account OR pay $15 a month, might as well just buy the tablet yourself on sale for $179. Who the heck keeps $3,500 in a checking account getting no interest, unless you are rich I guess.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes
Said212 wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:38 pm
I'd have to say probably not. The Visa with the select is also no fee, and is better than the typical no fee, however you would have to maintain a balance of $5000 to prevent getting beaten to death by the high account fee.
Psygineer = Psychological Engineer, when A.I. gets strong enough, I will be the first in the field of Android counseling.
Dec 5, 2005
953 posts
66 upvotes
Woodbridge
It would have been much better if it was the Note 8" or Nexus 7. I will pass.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes
drew4008 wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:41 pm
Which version, Tab 3?
Whichever version is the most recent edition as of July 2013 is the one you get.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes
yuprules wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:42 pm
Fees:
$14.95/month - waived with a $3,500 minimum monthly balance2
Senior's Rebate: 25% off the monthly fee for account holders aged 60+ (a value of $3.75 per month)3

Either keep $3,500 in the account of pay $15 a month, might as well just buy the tablet yourself. Who the heck keeps $3,500 in a checking account getting no interest, unless you are rich I guess.
My father was an idiot and did just that, no interest on all the money he made in 40 years of working. All sat in a chequeing account. Would not listen to anyone that he should put it into a savings account. He was afraid of paying taxes on the interest...

It's actually good for me because currently my chequeing account gets hit by a 75 cent fee no matter what I do (deposit/withdrawl/auto-matic payment) so this will actually save me money since there are no fees whatsoever on it as far as I can tell. Plus free cheques rather than having to buy a book of cheques at $20 a pop, plus the fee of using them.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes
m4dcap wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:41 pm
can you cancel after August 30th without penalty? I looked at the terms but couldn't find anything concrete
bgallagher wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:50 pm
Very tempting. Once I receive the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab, can I close the TD bank account without penalty?
As far as I can tell as long as the account is older than 90 days, it shouldn't be an issue. From their FAQ "If you are closing your account within 90 days of opening it, there is a $15 fee." So probably no fee after that, but is it worth the risk/bother for a free tablet?
Oct 15, 2008
394 posts
635 upvotes
Existing TD Customers can enter to win one here. One per Branch
Thanks OP, my branch is in a tiny town and most (at least 85%) of its customers are old people; I like my odds!

Do you know if they are advertising this contest in branch? I suppose I'll have to head down later and see.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2634 posts
1279 upvotes
Montreal
Very tempting. Once I receive the 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab, can I close the TD bank account without penalty?

virtuman1980 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2013 8:56 am
Haha...pretty interesting fellow indeed...but it was this persistence/stubbornness of his that got him the positive result in the end.
datako wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 12:35 am
... Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes
Coppertone2005 wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:42 pm
It would have been much better if it was the Note 8" or Nexus 7. I will pass.
I've been looking into opening a better chequeing account anyway, so a free tablet is better than no free tablet for me... plus I don't even have a tablet yet, been planning on buying one and have been doing my research. Was thinking of getting in an Ainol, this will save me the bother.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2006
1527 posts
261 upvotes
snowles wrote:
May 13th, 2013 4:47 pm
Thanks OP, my branch is in a tiny town and most (at least 85%) of its customers are old people; I like my odds!

Do you know if they are advertising this contest in branch? I suppose I'll have to head down later and see.
I seen it on their webpage while looking at what accounts they offer since I want rid of my current chequeing account. I have not visited the branch yet, but I will let you know as I plan to swing by one after work to get booklets on the accounts, ask for more details, etc. If I get a flyer, I will scan it in tomorrow at work on my break(scanner at home is dead).
Jul 23, 2011
658 posts
167 upvotes
For those wondering about the specs of Samsung Galaxy Tab:
Android Froyo (2.2); CPU: 1GHz A8 Cortex Processor;
Battery: Li-Polymer, 4000mAh
Memory: 16GB Internal Memory; Up to 32GB Expandable Memory (microSD)
WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n; USB 2.0; Bluetooth 2.1 Connectivity
Audio: MP3, OGG, AAC, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, FLAC, WAV, MID, AC3, RTTTL/RTX, OTA, i-Melody, SP-MIDI
Display: 7.0" WSVGA Display; 600 x 1024 Pixel Display Resolution; 3.54" x 6.05" Display Size; 16M TFT Display Technology
Video: Codec: Mpeg4, H.264, H.263, Divx/XviD Format: 3gp(mp4), wmv(asf), avi(divx), mkv, flv
× < >