Personal Finance

Free chequing account with free e-transfer?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 9th, 2019 1:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes

Free chequing account with free e-transfer?

Hi!

I'm looking for a free (no monthly fee) chequing account with free e-transferts. Does it exists? Is there a bank offering this?

Thanks
35 replies
Sep 6, 2018
702 posts
590 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Simplii, Motive and Alterna offer unlimited interac e-transfers, EQ offers 5 free per month.

Tangerine is not free "Interac" transfer, they charge $1 for Interac and offer a free alternative that requires the recipient enter their chequing account, transit, and institution numbers and wait a day or two. Ewwies.

I'd recommend Simplii since they have a new customer promo right now, offer credit products, and give you free access to all CIBC ATMs.

I've been with them for years and have no complaints. I don't like keeping my savings in the same place as any credit products or payroll deposits so I don't mind that their standard savings interest rates are not competitive or that their promos are random because I don't use them!

If you're looking for a brick-and-mortar no-fee chequing account with Interac transfers, you should look into whatever local credit union options you have. Otherwise a no-fee account at a b&m is hard to come by. Some of the big banks will waive monthly fees if you keep a few thousand dollars sitting in the account, but terms & conditions vary and you should read all fine print to know exactly how to avoid fees.
Last edited by aweawea on Jan 7th, 2019 10:22 am, edited 9 times in total.
Oct 24, 2016
581 posts
405 upvotes
ON
Tangerine! If you’re okay with branchless banking.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
11036 posts
7577 upvotes
Leask
Holystone wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:00 am
Tangerine! If you’re okay with branchless banking.
Tang does not offer free (no-fee) e-transfers. No fee waiver option with minimum balance, either.

Many subsidiaries to consider. Simplii and Motive (both no-QC), and Alterna Bank, open to all provinces.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
[OP]
Jul 24, 2017
183 posts
53 upvotes
Forgot to mention I'm in Quebec. Simplii doesn't work en QC. What about Motive and Alterna?

I have Tangerine account, but the delay + the pain in the a** for the receiver using branchless banking is not worth it in my opinion.

EDIT : Alterna works in QC, thanks titaniumtux
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1087 posts
528 upvotes
CIBC ULOC works like a chequing account
Free unlimited etransfers
Unlimited cheques, if you need them
Direct deposit

And a huge cheap overdraft if you need it

I get half my pay dumped into mine

Getting approved for a ULOC is one of the tougher credit products to get approved for though
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1087 posts
528 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 10:13 am
Tang does not offer free (no-fee) e-transfers. No fee waiver option with minimum balance, either.

Many subsidiaries to consider. Simplii and Motive (both no-QC), and Alterna Bank, open to all provinces.
Man, Tangerine must be the last outfit still charging for etransfers

Guess you get what you pay for
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4523 posts
2248 upvotes
User455957 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:48 am
CIBC ULOC works like a chequing account
Free unlimited etransfers
Unlimited cheques, if you need them
Direct deposit

And a huge cheap overdraft if you need it

I get half my pay dumped into mine

Getting approved for a ULOC is one of the tougher credit products to get approved for though
I don't know about cheap... I just did a ULOC at CIBC about 2 months ago for P+11.5!!!
Although they did approve me for $40k. I only took $10k because my intent was never to actually use the ULOC as a LOC but as a chqing account.

No need for the extra credit. Plus, Tang offered $30k @ P+1 and I have $5k at BMO for P+3
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4523 posts
2248 upvotes
User455957 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:52 am
Man, Tangerine must be the last outfit still charging for etransfers

Guess you get what you pay for
I had PC financial when they first set up shop. Then when ING Direct set up shop, I switched there. The main reason was because it was instant transfer between chqing and savings vs PCF 1 business day delay (weekends sucked).

Now, I switched back because Simplii got rid of the delay AND offer unlimited e-transfer. If Tangerine had offered even 5 or 10 e-transfers free per month, I would never have switched back. Too much hassle. Now that I'm back at Simplii, even if tangerine offers free e-transfer it is too late. I won't go back unless they offer something MORE that I find useful otherwise it is not worth the hassle of changing all my direct debits.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2017
2538 posts
1019 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:51 pm
I had PC financial when they first set up shop. Then when ING Direct set up shop, I switched there. The main reason was because it was instant transfer between chqing and savings vs PCF 1 business day delay (weekends sucked).

Now, I switched back because Simplii got rid of the delay AND offer unlimited e-transfer. If Tangerine had offered even 5 or 10 e-transfers free per month, I would never have switched back. Too much hassle. Now that I'm back at Simplii, even if tangerine offers free e-transfer it is too late. I won't go back unless they offer something MORE that I find useful otherwise it is not worth the hassle of changing all my direct debits.
never harm to have both. different ATM network serves different purpose.
I am being targeted over Internet Relay Chat. Please help me.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
1087 posts
528 upvotes
mech9t5 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:47 pm
I don't know about cheap... I just did a ULOC at CIBC about 2 months ago for P+11.5!!!
Although they did approve me for $40k. I only took $10k because my intent was never to actually use the ULOC as a LOC but as a chqing account.

No need for the extra credit. Plus, Tang offered $30k @ P+1 and I have $5k at BMO for P+3
Yeah, that's high. Mines prime +4 and I thought mine was bad. It's only for 5k. I think I paid 40cents in interest last month going under abit
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4523 posts
2248 upvotes
dekvitaly wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 3:59 pm
never harm to have both. different ATM network serves different purpose.
I never closed the account. Just switched all my pads and moved all my money. Left $1 to bounce around to keep it active

Did the same with pc. Left a penny to go between chq and savings to keep it alive.
Jun 23, 2017
668 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto, ON
i get this with my Simplii Chequing Account and my CIBC Home Equity LOC .. and Tangerine Chequing with free EMT (kinda sorta like Interac e-Transfer but not. You can do Interac e-transfer from this account but there's a fee)