• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2019 11:39 am
[OP]
Jun 16, 2015
134 posts
71 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

Free Credit Monitoring and Identity Theft Insurance by Capital One

Just received an email from Capital one offering 2 years of Credit monitoring and identity theft insurance. Check your email, there is a special code at the bottom that you can use to sign up. Also ironically my credit card was fraudulently used last night. I complained to Capital one and they are investigating the charges. I don't know if it is connected or not but please check your online accounts.
71 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4976 posts
1998 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Can you still sue them if you take up the offer for free credit monitor for merely 2 years?

You may want to contact diamond and diamond regarding their law suit against capital one.
https://diamondlaw.ca/capital-one-data-breach
Last edited by theflyingsquirrel on Aug 14th, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2006
5762 posts
456 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:29 am
Can you still sue them if you take up the offer for free credit monitor for merely 2 years?
Usually, no.

They absolve liability in providing this to you.
--
Oct 27, 2017
298 posts
178 upvotes
srz5095 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:24 am
Do you have a costco or HBC MC?
Yeah still waiting to see if any Costco Capital One card holders affected.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
1809 posts
1294 upvotes
Vancouver
lmfao oops we gave away all your information due to our horrible security, here's 2 years of protection!

what a joke these corporations need to be held responsible for terrible cloud security practices.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2010
4976 posts
1998 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
evanwier wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:37 am
lmfao oops we gave away all your information due to our horrible security, here's 2 years of protection!

what a joke these corporations need to be held responsible for terrible cloud security practices.
I know I can change my name and address.
Is there a way to change my DOB as well?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
1001 posts
658 upvotes
I havn't received any emails (yet).

But I did login on my phone and saw a button for a thing called "Credit Keeper". I couldn't find a price anywhere so it seems that you can get a score for free, even if you didn't receive an email about getting hacked.

I think you get signed up for spam and whatever else they do with your info though.
:rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1296 posts
321 upvotes
D0ntgiveajack wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:47 am
I havn't received any emails (yet).

But I did login on my phone and saw a button for a thing called "Credit Keeper". I couldn't find a price anywhere so it seems that you can get a score for free, even if you didn't receive an email about getting hacked.

I think you get signed up for spam and whatever else they do with your info though.
You will get an email with a unique sign up code. I got one but they are rolling them out in batches.
Jan 20, 2012
480 posts
319 upvotes
LONDON
Serious question, if you were emailed this offer, is there a good chance that your information was in fact compromised by this hacker?

I’m only asking because I haven’t received this email (yet...knock on wood) I had a Costco Capital One Card from Dec 2015 until I think March 2017.
Last edited by kellmike626 on Aug 14th, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me with requests for assistance, unless I PM you first, or if I give you permission to. That's what the forums are for!
May 30, 2010
596 posts
147 upvotes
Duplicate from:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/capital- ... n-2304524/

Also, this is not a deal, it's a reparations offer due to a breach they had that exposed personal information of over 106 million clients, including about 6 million Canadians.

https://www.capitalone.ca/facts2019/

From the FAQ:
7) What is Capital One doing to protect me after this incident? How can I sign up for credit monitoring/identity theft insurance services?
We began directly notifying Canadians affected by the cyber incident by email on August 7, 2019. We will continue the process of notifying affected individuals by email or mail over the coming weeks. We’re providing 2 years of free credit monitoring and identity theft insurance† from TransUnion® to everyone impacted.

To enrol in this service, follow the steps provided in your email or letter. Should you have any questions regarding the TransUnion myTrueIdentity solution or have difficulty enrolling, please contact TransUnion at 1‑888‑228‑4939, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET (excluding holidays)
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1339 posts
1551 upvotes
theflyingsquirrel wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:29 am

You may want to contact diamond and diamond regarding their law suit against capital one.
https://diamondlaw.ca/capital-one-data-breach
There's nothing in the email that states by taking the two years, you cannot be part of the class action
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
1450 posts
185 upvotes
Just got the email today too.

For those who asked, here's what the email says in terms of impact:

Personal information impacted.

Our investigation has determined that the person responsible may have gained access to the following information:

Personal information routinely collected at the time we receive credit applications, including name, address, postal code, phone number, email address, date of birth and self-reported income.
Customer status data, including credit score, credit limit, account balance, payment history and contact information.
Fragments of customer transaction data from a total of 23 days during 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Based on our investigation to date, your Social Insurance Number was not exposed as a result of this incident. Note: this was bolded in the email, and might be specific per person. Not sure.

Also, no credit card numbers, PIN codes or login credentials were compromised.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28570 posts
14348 upvotes
Ottawa
Is the sign up code generic?
I'll take a code, if it's not going to be used... please and thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1364 posts
1281 upvotes
User381785 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:06 pm
There's nothing in the email that states by taking the two years, you cannot be part of the class action
+1. Taking the offer does not absolve Capital One of anything. Just bear in mind that usually when you sue the company especially in Canadian courts, there has to be damages shown on your part. But if you're part of a class action lawsuit they may reward all defendants with like $100 each for their troubles. Obviously, a firm like Diamond and Diamond will rake in a lot more which is why they are pitching it.

These credit monitoring services are now a dime a dozen and most available for free (credit karma) or as part of your bank's credit card package (Scotia Visa offers it as does Capital One). You can see any suspicious accounts being opened within 1-2 months on these services. I guess the difference in this service offered by Capital One (via Transunion) is that it has some extra monitoring features if it detects a suspect account being open, so it may alert you quicker than 1-2 months.

I agree that governments need to get tougher on these break-ins and penalize these negligent companies. Some token lame credit monitoring subscription just doesn't cut it. They are a happening way too often, so the security measures are simply too weak. With the info stolen and released/sold on darknet from this hack (name/address/phone/social security and other) sophisticated scammers will have few problems opening and draining accounts in other people's names. Our only hope is safety in numbers as millions of people were affected.