[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
gregorykay wrote:
Jun 18th, 2007 2:47 pm
Is there any place to get a free 416 number?
Free 416 Number: Not really

However:
-VBuzzer.com: USD $2.28/month, unlimited incoming (I use VBuzzer myself, they are OK, but CS is low to non existent, and cross-compatibility with VoXalot is spotty)
-VoiceNetwork.ca: USD $1/month for 647 number, but you gotta receive 500+ minutes of incoming calls or you pay $5.95/month
-The WorkAround Posted using SipBroker is free, but it isn't really your number just an access number with an extension for you.
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Digiital wrote:
Jun 18th, 2007 2:21 pm
I don't know! I followed your instructions minus the option to select PHONEGNOME as the provider. So for some reason VOX WAS calling my number(647). Try it yourself. I left pretty much all default. Heck in the profile I didn't even change it to indicate I was in Canada.
Ok, figured this out:

If you add a provider and Set Active and Register to Yes, it automatically creates a DIAL PLAN for the first provider of this sort you add.

Hence when you added PhoneGnome with Yes Settings on both, it created a DIAL PLAN for PhoneGnome automatically, so choosing DIAL PLAN, or PhoneGnome became equivalent. Nice coincidence, had me thinking VoXalot was giving free calls there for a while.... :lol:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Oct 18, 2001
632 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
Great. Now I can make use for those PAP2's I got on sale a few months back :)

Boy I REALLY need to get my Asterisks box up and running.
emoci wrote:
Jun 18th, 2007 3:57 pm
Ok, figured this out:

If you add a provider and Set Active and Register to Yes, it automatically creates a DIAL PLAN for the first provider of this sort you add.

Hence when you added PhoneGnome with Yes Settings on both, it created a DIAL PLAN for PhoneGnome automatically, so choosing DIAL PLAN, or PhoneGnome became equivalent. Nice coincidence, had me thinking VoXalot was giving free calls there for a while.... :lol:
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11881 posts
71 upvotes
There's also another way to get free incoming + voicemail: AOL Phoneline.
It won't forward to your cell/landline but you can take calls when you're online.

I've been using it for a good year. The only downside is you have to install their POS IM program.

I wish there was an incoming for Canada (604/778) :(
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
May 19, 2003
116 posts
Thanks for the awesome post... unfortunately, most of the free PC=2=phone sites you mention only have software for PCs and not Macs... Does anyone know of any similar ways to call for free from a Mac-2-landline??? I know that voipbuster allows 5 min calls but that can be a pain.

Thanks
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11881 posts
71 upvotes
mgazer wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 7:06 am
Thanks for the awesome post... unfortunately, most of the free PC=2=phone sites you mention only have software for PCs and not Macs... Does anyone know of any similar ways to call for free from a Mac-2-landline??? I know that voipbuster allows 5 min calls but that can be a pain.

Thanks
Have you ever tried jajah.com?
If the other party is a jajah user, calls are free. If they're not a user, I usually just register their number in another active account of mine then delete it afterwards.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
177 upvotes
Under the PhoneGnome workaround:
I seem to have to setup 2 PhoneGnome accts, i.e. one for my cell & one for home phone. In Voxalot I have to setup my cell's Phonegnome SIP user id & password as the provider and my home phone number in the Call forwading number. Then when someone calls my Voxalot number, my home phone will ring. If I want my cell phone to ring, I have to switch to use my phone home's Phonegnome SIP user id & pw as my provider and my cell phone number as the forwarding phone number.
If use my home phone number as both the provider & call forwarding number, then it wouldn't work. I think because Phonegnome have to connect 2 different numbers in order to work.
Do you have to do that?

A WorkAround: Anyone can call you from a number local to them, Your CellPhone or HomePhone rings, no Voip Line required
-Register your CellPhone/HomePhone with PhoneGnome
-When logged into their website (PhoneGnome) go under the features tab and activate Remote Access. Set it to ring both Home and SoftGnome.
-Click View Sip Settings to see Sip Username, Password, and Sip proxy
-Now go to VoXalot.com
-Get an account with a six digit number you like.
-Once in your VoXalot account, add PhoneGnome (using Sip Settings) as a provider, but set both Active and Register to No.
-Set your codecs as follows ulaw;alaw;g726;g729;ilbc;gsm
-Under Member Details on VoXalot, set Voicemail to No
-Now on Voxalot under Forwarding set to forward all calls to your Cell Number (1+10 digit number) via provider PhoneGnome.

Now people can call you using any of these local Access Numbers (Access Numbers). They call Access Number then enter your extension (*010+ your 6 digit VoXalot username), your cell phone, or home phone rings. The call is local for them, free for you, except that the caller ID you get will be your own CellPhone/HomePhone number.

If anyone has more of these services, comments/suggestions/corrections for anything posted, or anything else, feel free to post. I will update and correct things over time.[/QUOTE]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
You can use the SIP USER/PASS from the PhoneGnome account set up for your HomePhone to actually ring your HomePhone. Eg. If you have CID, it'll say your own number is calling you. It is possible because unlike when dialing from their website, PhoneGnome is not connecting two lines together, just one line to VoXalot.

I would set up two different VoXalot accounts, one for HomePhone, one for CellPhone.

Or, if you always want the same extension:
-Pick either the HomePhone or CellPhone and set them as provider in VoXalot.
-Then when you are at home just change the forwarding number to homephone.
-When you go out, just change the forwarding number to CellPhone

In summary you can have the PhoneGnome account set up for HomePhone to actually call your HomePhone number without problems (this is the setup I am using and it's working). So you don't gotta change the provider everytime.

You may want to change the phone number from Home to Cell depending in where you want to be reached though. By having them both registered, they are now both free calls to PhoneGnome so....Hope this helps

a_1_a wrote:
Jun 19th, 2007 11:03 pm
Under the PhoneGnome workaround:
I seem to have to setup 2 PhoneGnome accts, i.e. one for my cell & one for home phone. In Voxalot I have to setup my cell's Phonegnome SIP user id & password as the provider and my home phone number in the Call forwading number. Then when someone calls my Voxalot number, my home phone will ring. If I want my cell phone to ring, I have to switch to use my phone home's Phonegnome SIP user id & pw as my provider and my cell phone number as the forwarding phone number.
If use my home phone number as both the provider & call forwarding number, then it wouldn't work. I think because Phonegnome have to connect 2 different numbers in order to work.
Do you have to do that?

A WorkAround: Anyone can call you from a number local to them, Your CellPhone or HomePhone rings, no Voip Line required
-Register your CellPhone/HomePhone with PhoneGnome
-When logged into their website (PhoneGnome) go under the features tab and activate Remote Access. Set it to ring both Home and SoftGnome.
-Click View Sip Settings to see Sip Username, Password, and Sip proxy
-Now go to VoXalot.com
-Get an account with a six digit number you like.
-Once in your VoXalot account, add PhoneGnome (using Sip Settings) as a provider, but set both Active and Register to No.
-Set your codecs as follows ulaw;alaw;g726;g729;ilbc;gsm
-Under Member Details on VoXalot, set Voicemail to No
-Now on Voxalot under Forwarding set to forward all calls to your Cell Number (1+10 digit number) via provider PhoneGnome.

Now people can call you using any of these local Access Numbers (Access Numbers). They call Access Number then enter your extension (*010+ your 6 digit VoXalot username), your cell phone, or home phone rings. The call is local for them, free for you, except that the caller ID you get will be your own CellPhone/HomePhone number.

If anyone has more of these services, comments/suggestions/corrections for anything posted, or anything else, feel free to post. I will update and correct things over time.
[/quote]
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
177 upvotes
Is there time limit when using Phonegnome? It doesn't say it on their website. It cuts off after 30min.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
a_1_a wrote:
Jun 20th, 2007 3:22 am
Is there time limit when using Phonegnome? It doesn't say it on their website. It cuts off after 30min.
Are you just guessing it cuts off after 30 mins....or you read it somewhere?
They have a fair use policy to my knowledge. Your account will be suspended if "your usage interferes with other users enjoyment" of service sort of thing...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
177 upvotes
Can Voipuser be used with Voxalot as a workaround just like Phonegnome?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
a_1_a wrote:
Jun 21st, 2007 3:08 am
Can Voipuser be used with Voxalot as a workaround just like Phonegnome?
There should be no problems. The only issue that may come up, is compatibility between VoXalot and Voipuser, but it's definitely worth testing.
Heat|e-Bay|RFD