Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
WorkArounds: Make and Receive SIP/VoIP Calls from your Cell/Landline (No equipment needed)
*note: you may want to read throughout this post for a number of free options before getitng started with a guide

Receiving Calls via VoIP on your regular PSTN Phone: People from around the world call a number local to them, then enter an extension when prompted which in turn rings your CellPhone or HomePhone.

There are now 4 options, all of which achieve similar results, but at different costs and qualities:

1. Receive Calls from Around the World through a local number: VoXalot, MySipSwitch,PhoneGnome (Cost: Free)
2. Receive Calls from Around the World through a local number: VoXalot, PBXes, TPad, MySipSwitch, PhoneGnome (Cost: Free)
3. Receive Calls from Around the World through a local number: VoXalot & PhoneGnome (Cost: $15 after July 16th)

4.Receive Calls from Around the World through a local number: PhoneGnome and GTalk2Voip (Cost: Free)
5.Receive Calls from Around the World through a local number: PhoneGnome, VoXalot, PBXes.com (Cost: Free)

Commentary:

There is two things two consider with each setup (in my opinion), reliability and voice quality.
This remains my opinion, but the paid VoXalot option (3) produces best results with both, unfortunately it is no longer free. The next best one is the current number (1), quality is rather good, and it is free.

Note: With changes especially at PhoneGnome the guides above remain only as a proof-of-concept, you'll need to use your own provider to replace PhoneGnome in most cases, and may meet slight differences (due to changes in the look-and-feel) at VoXalot and MySipSwitch (now SipSorcery)

Making VoIP Calls from your regular PSTN Phone

1. To call any Voip User for which you have a Network Number (eg. a Gizmo/FWD/VoXalot/CallCentric number etc..):
-Dial SipBroker Access Number local to you (http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/pstnNumbers)
-When prompted enter *SipCode (find here http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/acti ... WhitePages) followed by the network number. eg.*747-1747xxxxxxx

2. To Call an ENum number or a Toll-Free number (a Toll Free number not reachable from your location normally)
-Dial SipBroker Access Number local to you
-When prompted enter the full number in Country Code-Number format for an ENum call (you can also use *013-Country Code-Number)
-For North American Toll-Free Numbers simply call in *1-800-xxx-xxxx format
-All other Toll Free Numbers, including NA Toll Free numbers can also be called in CountryCode-Number format

What numbers can I call for free via ENum: Any number that has an associated ENum record, search here: http://www.sipbroker.com/sipbroker/action/enumLookup

3. VoIP CallThru: Make Calls via your favorite VoIP(SIP) Provider(s) using a local access number around the world

4. VoIP CallBack: Use your favourite VoIP providers from anywhere in the world with CallBack Service

Note: With LiberaIlVoip blocking VoXalot and PBXes, the best solution is to use SipSorcery as the new middleman. Don't forget to setup a dialplan in SipSorcery to route outgoing calls.

5. VoIP CallBack: Software based CallBack (15 day Free trial, Cheap one time license)

Skype Solutions

1. Receive Sip Calls in Skype: http://www.scopezoom.com/guide9.htm
2. Use Skype Remotely from your Mobile/Landline: http://www.scopezoom.com/guide10.htm

Continued
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Sep 3, 2008
7 posts
USA
Hi, quick question is there anyway to access the Voxalot speed dial from a regular number (PSTN)? I will like to be able to call into my voxalot and then connect to my international contacts using my voip account. Thanks in advance for your answer.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
capitandanny wrote:
Dec 19th, 2008 8:12 pm
Hi, quick question is there anyway to access the Voxalot speed dial from a regular number (PSTN)? I will like to be able to call into my voxalot and then connect to my international contacts using my voip account. Thanks in advance for your answer.
It's doable if you've set up from PBXes...

So it'll work if you've followed my CallThru guide, but you'll have to mess with the dialplan at PBXes (I warn that it is not a simple procedure)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Jan 20, 2007
769 posts
26 upvotes
morglum82 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2007 9:55 pm
does anyone know of a free DID provider in France?
best I've seen so far is phonesystems.net but you must have an address there for some reason...
Just to say that I've finally found a free french did .

Took me a year :)
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1558 posts
283 upvotes
emoci wrote:
Dec 18th, 2008 1:12 pm
I am working on putting a write up together for someone getting started with VoIP and the first few services/accts to put together... but it is moving slow)
Looking forward to it.
It's one of the best write up I've read on VOIP stuff. I don't mind paying for a local number and service but after reading, there's so much more to it. I need to make sure it works with a SIP client on Nokia phone, call display working, call forwarding, voice-mail.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10853 posts
1296 upvotes
Brampton
I have been using MOBIVOX for quite sometime now totally for Free to Europe but noticed that their Free service is ending :( & you need to buy credits now.

Is there anything similar to MOBIVOX & Free :D that I can use with my regular phone :?:
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
26 posts
1 upvote
I was able to make my first call using softphone. Tried ata but getting the message that "the password is not valid". I tried the password from the config file. Any clue how to setup the ata?
Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
rfdaddict wrote:
Jan 13th, 2009 10:08 pm
I was able to make my first call using softphone. Tried ata but getting the message that "the password is not valid". I tried the password from the config file. Any clue how to setup the ata?
Thanks
Which service are we talking about here?
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1308 posts
46 upvotes
Mississauga
emoci wrote:
Jan 13th, 2009 11:14 pm
Which service are we talking about here?
Looks like freephoneline from title
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
rfdaddict wrote:
Jan 13th, 2009 10:08 pm
Thanks
crasher wrote:
Jan 14th, 2009 10:43 am
Looks like freephoneline from title
Oops, I'm losing it.... I didn't see the title...

You will not be able to use FreePhoneLine with an ATA without buying the config file from them.

As far as I know trying to hack through it gets you some info, but among others is a port 6060 which seems to only work with the SoftPhone...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1313 posts
25 upvotes
Emoci

Any way to get my iphone 3g to connect to my Acanac voip service? Tried a few things without success.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Hybrid88 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2009 4:03 pm
Emoci

Any way to get my iphone 3g to connect to my Acanac voip service? Tried a few things without success.
Is it jailbroken?

If it is I'd try this (replace VoXalot details with Acanac details):
http://faq.voxalot.com/action/view/HowT ... our_iPhone

You need some sort of SIP application....if not jailbroken (and you don't want to) check for any SIP Apps available that you can install... (eg. Fring would work for this too, likely)
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1313 posts
25 upvotes
Its not jailed broken and I have Fring installed. Thanks I just got that working so I can call out from my voip.

Now that I have a paid Acanac VOIP line it essentially means I have free North American LD calling on my iphone as well. This could come in handy.

emoci wrote:
Jan 15th, 2009 4:31 pm
Is it jailbroken?

If it is I'd try this (replace VoXalot details with Acanac details):
http://faq.voxalot.com/action/view/HowT ... our_iPhone

You need some sort of SIP application....if not jailbroken (and you don't want to) check for any SIP Apps available that you can install... (eg. Fring would work for this too, likely)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Hybrid88 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2009 5:16 pm
Its not jailed broken and I have Fring installed. Thanks I just got that working so I can call out from my voip.

Now that I have a paid Acanac VOIP line it essentially means I have free North American LD calling on my iphone as well. This could come in handy.
Remember it'll use data on 3G when no WiFi is available.... I also believe Fring has settings so it can be set to switch over to WiFi whenever a preset one becomes available (so you're not using your Data in that case)...

Question for you though (just curious): Will Fring run in the background...or does it have to be started before placing a call?
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2001
1313 posts
25 upvotes
Wifi or 3G doesn't matter since I have a decent data plan.

With Fring it doesn't run on the background.

When I have Fring loaded I will receive all incoming VOIP calls directly to Fring/Iphone.

Calling out is also fine but it seems after I make a call from Fring my Acanac voip line gets stuck on something and it won't receive calls.

My setup is a Linksys PAP2 and I either have to reset my router or my PAP2 to start getting incoming calls back (I have port 5060 unblocked). This could be problematic where I am using the VOIP on my iphone and potentially having all my home calls going directly to voicemail.

EDIT: I have to reboot my PAP2 inorder to get the calls incoming again and not straight to voicemail.
emoci wrote:
Jan 15th, 2009 7:48 pm
Remember it'll use data on 3G when no WiFi is available.... I also believe Fring has settings so it can be set to switch over to WiFi whenever a preset one becomes available (so you're not using your Data in that case)...

Question for you though (just curious): Will Fring run in the background...or does it have to be started before placing a call?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)