Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Hybrid88 wrote: Wifi or 3G doesn't matter since I have a decent data plan.

With Fring it doesn't run on the background.

When I have Fring loaded I will receive all incoming VOIP calls directly to Fring/Iphone.

Calling out is also fine but it seems after I make a call from Fring my Acanac voip line gets stuck on something and it won't receive calls.

My setup is a Linksys PAP2 and I either have to reset my router or my PAP2 to start getting incoming calls back (I have port 5060 unblocked). This could be problematic where I am using the VOIP on my iphone and potentially having all my home calls going directly to voicemail.

EDIT: I have to reboot my PAP2 inorder to get the calls incoming again and not straight to voicemail.

Is there a setting along the lines of 'register with proxy/server'? You'll need to turn this off...

What's happening is that Fring Registers with Acanac while you're making a call (it doesn't need to do this for making outgoing calls, only for receiving incoming calls... but it is displacing your ATA by doing it)

If you cannot find the setting to prevent registration... you're gonna need to go through a middleman like VoXalot or MySipSwitch (that way Fring will register still, but it'll be with the VoXalot server for example, which doesn't matter because it won't affect Acanac itself)

I can help with the setup of Acanac within VoXalot or MSS if you run into snags...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
10957 posts
1369 upvotes
Brampton
patrob wrote: I have been using MOBIVOX for quite sometime now totally for Free to Europe but noticed that their Free service is ending :( & you need to buy credits now.

Is there anything similar to MOBIVOX & Free :D that I can use with my regular phone :?:
I guess not :(
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
Aug 31, 2005
5706 posts
987 upvotes
GTA
anyone else who uses dukadial getting errors when they try to use it? Its been doing this to me for days now.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2005
1425 posts
177 upvotes
Lemina_Ausa wrote: Me too.
If you look at its website, it says only for US numbers now. So that is the reason you are getting the error when you try to connect Canadian numbers. It still works for US to US numbers. You can use POKETALK.com
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
5706 posts
987 upvotes
GTA
a_1_a wrote: If you look at its website, it says only for US numbers now. So that is the reason you are getting the error when you try to connect Canadian numbers. It still works for US to US numbers. You can use POKETALK.com
Thank you will try later
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2005
5706 posts
987 upvotes
GTA
Okay I'm sad that PokeTalk is only 10min. Where as dukadial was unlimited. No other awesome sites like dukadial?? :(
Jul 18, 2007
45 posts
SIP to Skype Gateway Bridge

SipToSis (Sip to Skype integration software) is Java software that allows you to make and receive Skype calls from your SIP/VOIP telephone adapter, SIP IP phone or Asterisk/SIP PBX. You can also make and receive SIP calls from Skype.

System Requirements:

* Skype client
* Java 1.5 or higher
* SIP/VOIP adapter such as a SPA3102, SIP IP Phone, register with a SIP provider or setup an Asterisk/SIP PBX server
* Skype4Java compatible platform
* Sufficient bandwidth to support your configuration - Broadband preferred.

http://www.mhspot.com/sts/siptosis.html
Jan 15, 2006
178 posts
86 upvotes
Here are my goals:
- Make and receive free calls in Canada and USA with my regular phone
- Have people call me for free from anywhere in Canada

I have:
- a FreePhoneline account
- I paid for the FreePhoneline config file
- My PAP2T is properly configured.

Question #1
Previously, people could call me for free by creating a freephoneline account in their region (let say Quebec) and forwarding calls to my home phone number (let say Montreal). Since I am now using freephoneline as home phone, they cannot forward anymore (because you cannot forward a freephoneline number to an other freephoneline number).

I tought, ok, they will use a sipbroker access number and call me using my sip id and username. Freephoneline sip code is supposed to be *8841, my username is 1514447****, but it's not working.

So, how can they call me for free just with their home phone (no computer or callback)?

Question #2:
I would like to receive calls with my freephoneline DID, but I also want to use an sip provider for my outbound calls when making long distance. Voxalot seemed ok, but I have to pay if I want to use my freephoneline DID for inbound calls. Is there a way to do it for free?

Question #3:
Until I find an answer to my outbound calls problems, I am using Worldline for long distance calls. I have to dial an access number before each calls. Can I configure my dial plan to dial my access number, wait 2 sec., dial the number I want for my long distance calls?

I know I am asking a lot, but I am very new to voip (started 2 weeks ago) and would like to exploit the full power of this wonderful thing ;-p

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
vlaine wrote: Here are my goals:
- Make and receive free calls in Canada and USA with my regular phone
- Have people call me for free from anywhere in Canada

I have:
- a FreePhoneline account
- I paid for the FreePhoneline config file
- My PAP2T is properly configured.

Question #1
Previously, people could call me for free by creating a freephoneline account in their region (let say Quebec) and forwarding calls to my home phone number (let say Montreal). Since I am now using freephoneline as home phone, they cannot forward anymore (because you cannot forward a freephoneline number to an other freephoneline number).

I tought, ok, they will use a sipbroker access number and call me using my sip id and username. Freephoneline sip code is supposed to be *8841, my username is 1514447****, but it's not working.

So, how can they call me for free just with their home phone (no computer or callback)?

Question #2:
I would like to receive calls with my freephoneline DID, but I also want to use an sip provider for my outbound calls when making long distance. Voxalot seemed ok, but I have to pay if I want to use my freephoneline DID for inbound calls. Is there a way to do it for free?

Question #3:
Until I find an answer to my outbound calls problems, I am using Worldline for long distance calls. I have to dial an access number before each calls. Can I configure my dial plan to dial my access number, wait 2 sec., dial the number I want for my long distance calls?

I know I am asking a lot, but I am very new to voip (started 2 weeks ago) and would like to exploit the full power of this wonderful thing ;-p

Thanks.

1. Get an account at either PBXes or MySipSwitch. Use this to register FreePhoneLine and point to your VoXalot acct. (if you've already got a PBXes acct. you can use that, do not make another)
2. In your VoXalot acct. setup FreePhoneLine as an outbound only provider.
3. In your VoXalot acct. setup your other SIP Provider for LD calls
4. Register your Device with VoXalot

At this point:
-You'll be able to call out via FPL
-You'll be able to call out via your other SIP Provider
-You'll be able to use eNum/iNum and SipBroker features
-Other people can either call you by dialing your FPL number, or dialing any SipBroker access number, and entering *010<Your 6 digit VoXalot Number>

Let me know how it goes...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
May 30, 2006
1749 posts
4 upvotes
My word this thread looks daunting to those just getting started. Are you sure you don't need a PhD to get it all figured out?

Anyway, my main stumbling block is getting a phone number here in New Brunswick. Only Vonage appears to offer 506 numbers. I'd like to get VoIP wired up to my existing phone network at home but my second major problem is that I'm using DSL. I know it's possible to rewire everything so that the DSL line is isolated ... but it sounds difficult. Even if I did accomplish that I have my DSL modem and router hooked up in my office where I only have 1 jack. If I isolated that for DSL, I'm not sure how I would plug my VoIP adapter box into the existing phone wiring without running a really long cable to another room or something.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'm all ears. Oh btw, a completely wired solution is necessary for us ... no wireless handsets.

P.S.
- I currently am using Google GrandCentral for free long distance calls through my cell phone.
- I also wouldn't be opposed to paying for Skype (no 506 numbers) simply for outgoing calls if it is easier than the other options.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
sjweyman wrote: My word this thread looks daunting to those just getting started. Are you sure you don't need a PhD to get it all figured out?

Anyway, my main stumbling block is getting a phone number here in New Brunswick. Only Vonage appears to offer 506 numbers. I'd like to get VoIP wired up to my existing phone network at home but my second major problem is that I'm using DSL. I know it's possible to rewire everything so that the DSL line is isolated ... but it sounds difficult. Even if I did accomplish that I have my DSL modem and router hooked up in my office where I only have 1 jack. If I isolated that for DSL, I'm not sure how I would plug my VoIP adapter box into the existing phone wiring without running a really long cable to another room or something.

If anyone has any suggestions for me, I'm all ears. Oh btw, a completely wired solution is necessary for us ... no wireless handsets.

P.S.
- I currently am using Google GrandCentral for free long distance calls through my cell phone.
- I also wouldn't be opposed to paying for Skype (no 506 numbers) simply for outgoing calls if it is easier than the other options.

Doing your own wire is simple, but time consuming:
-First find the Demarc (the primary place where the line enters your house). If it's a home, it's likely a grey box outside the house or in the basement.
-Every place has at least 4 wires coming in, Green-Red-Black-Yellow, and each pair of wires is one line. Green-Red and Black-Yellow. If it's a newer built place you'll have more wires.
-Identify the pair of wires that's delivering your DSL right now (hopefully you have an active phone line which will make life easier to id whether it is Green-Red or Black-Yellow)
-Disconect the pair that's not delivering a line to your house at the demarc, and cover up the free wire ends with some electrical tape (this ensures that your telco doesn't suddenly fry your VoIP box)
-Now go around the house and make sure all 4 wires are properly wired to the jacks (normally Green-Red is your primary line, and Black-Yellow is the secondary line... if this is how you Id'd them above, the jacks should simply hook up by matching wire colors).
-Buy some of these and plug one into evey jack
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot%3D10-L1,L2-L1+L ... 5008r13582
-Now L2 will be your DSL line, and L1 will be your empty second line. Hook up your ATA device to L1 in a closeby jack, and the tone will be running throughout the house wiring, while DSL is on its own on the other pair

This is all based on the fact that every house is wired for at least two lines (four copper wires). So even though you have one jack, each jack can deliver two lines, you just need a splitter...

Good Reading:http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Jan 15, 2006
178 posts
86 upvotes
emoci wrote: 1. Get an account at either PBXes or MySipSwitch. Use this to register FreePhoneLine and point to your VoXalot acct. (if you've already got a PBXes acct. you can use that, do not make another)
2. In your VoXalot acct. setup FreePhoneLine as an outbound only provider.
3. In your VoXalot acct. setup your other SIP Provider for LD calls
4. Register your Device with VoXalot

At this point:
-You'll be able to call out via FPL
-You'll be able to call out via your other SIP Provider
-You'll be able to use eNum/iNum and SipBroker features
-Other people can either call you by dialing your FPL number, or dialing any SipBroker access number, and entering *010<Your 6 digit VoXalot Number>

Let me know how it goes...
Very very interesting.
How does the SIP registering process works?
If I register my Freephoneline account, can I still configure my PAP2t directly to Freephoneline if I want to? Can I ONLY configure it to VoXalot after the registration process? In other words, will both ring? Can I unregister my Freephoneline account if needed?

Will I loose in quality if I register my Freephoneline account with MySipSwitch and then forward it to voxalot?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
1291 posts
10 upvotes
Im new to voip scene and want to get my feet wet.

Right now I don't have any phone service at all, and was wondering if any of these services would apply to me, or if I have to sign up with something different?

I am going to buy a linksys PAP2 adapter, so from there I just need a service that will provide me with a GTA area code phone number, and allow others to call me with that number.

I am using acanac DSl right now.

afre most of these services only useful if I already have a phone line and simply want to forward LD calls to save money?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
vlaine wrote: Very very interesting.
How does the SIP registering process works?
If I register my Freephoneline account, can I still configure my PAP2t directly to Freephoneline if I want to? Can I ONLY configure it to VoXalot after the registration process? In other words, will both ring? Can I unregister my Freephoneline account if needed?

Will I loose in quality if I register my Freephoneline account with MySipSwitch and then forward it to voxalot?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
-Think of MySipSwitch or PBXes like a remotely hosted ATA box registering with FreePhoneLine (I would not suggest having FPL registered to one of those services and your ATA at the same time, however you can turn the registration at PBXes and/or MySipSwitch off at any time)

-After the registration process you can have your calls ring at PBXes or MySipSwitch and register your ATA with one of those two... or have the calls forwarded at VoXalot and register your ATA with VoXalot...

Audio quality should not be affected especially since most of those services use re-invites to establish direct connections...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD