Computers & Electronics

Free DID Numbers, Free Voip Calls, & more Voip Info

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
claudiu_corbea wrote: Sorry for not replying, I didn’t get any email notification.
I could do what you say but I still don’t have an option for incoming. People would want to call a local number and Freephoneline doesn’t offer any Nova Scotia number. If people call me direct on the cell which would be a local number, then I would pay airtime.
Well there is no easy choice about this:
-You need a Nova Scotia Number (Cost: likely $8-10 monthly)

then

-Get your NS number verified with BetaMax so that it can be sent as outgoing CID
-Setup neccessary forwarding using PBXes to ensure when you call number you can dial out, when others call they can ring you
-Voxalot will likely come in handy as the middle man

or

-Pick another provider that allows setting CID (Voip.ms, CallWithUs, CallCentric, FutureNine--these guys are the only ones with some sort of flat rate package)
-Same steps as above from here.

Now about finding an NS number somewhere try:
-Les.net
-Link2Voip
-Voip.ms
-CallWithUs
-CallCentric
(I may have missed other options ... but I was thinking in terms of flat rate incoming).


Your last option:
-Stick with MagicNumber
-Setup your own CallThru with your own VSPs
-Now you can access your own CallThru through Magic Number at just the 2.5 cents/min for North America...
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Member
Sep 10, 2002
313 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
emoci wrote: 2) In terms of the calls running you $9-14 per month ... are these just local (eg. within Vancouver).
VBuzzer has local unlimited Vancouver for $50/year now. I am not sure that you can port your current number to them though ...
Thanks for the help emoci!

There are really only two weak points in our current Unlimitel setup......high DID costs and $0.02/minute rural rates for calling home to Ontario.

A voip.ms DID is currently $1.99US/month (inbound $0.0149/minute) and their outbound rates are unmatched as far as I can find. $0.0052US/minute Value route or $0.0125US/minute Premium route.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
emoci wrote: Well there is no easy choice about this:
-You need a Nova Scotia Number (Cost: likely $8-10 monthly)

then

-Get your NS number verified with BetaMax so that it can be sent as outgoing CID
-Setup neccessary forwarding using PBXes to ensure when you call number you can dial out, when others call they can ring you
-Voxalot will likely come in handy as the middle man

or

-Pick another provider that allows setting CID (Voip.ms, CallWithUs, CallCentric, FutureNine--these guys are the only ones with some sort of flat rate package)
-Same steps as above from here.

Now about finding an NS number somewhere try:
-Les.net
-Link2Voip
-Voip.ms
-CallWithUs
-CallCentric
(I may have missed other options ... but I was thinking in terms of flat rate incoming).


Your last option:
-Stick with MagicNumber
-Setup your own CallThru with your own VSPs
-Now you can access your own CallThru through Magic Number at just the 2.5 cents/min for North America...
Thanks emoci, I managed to get it working and I think my way is a little easier.

-I got a NS number from localphone.com (3$/month + 0.01$ / min incoming) and SIP registered as a trunk at PBXes.
-My Telus Prepaid unlimited one number is configured as a PBXes classic extension.
-Created one inbound route for Calltrhu that is restricted to my Telus number CID when I want to dial out.
-Created another inbound route that points to my Telus extension for when people are calling my Magic Number
-Outbound calling to my Telus number is done via Localphone when someone calls my Magic DID Number OR Voxalot and my providers & dial plans configured at voxalot.com when I want to dial out via CallThru form my cell phone.
(PBXes has a bug at Outbound Routing > numbers starting by > DO NOT put in the last digit of the number or it won’t work).

And that’s it. Total cost is 10$ / month + incoming minutes. That's 7$ to Telus for the One Number Unlimited option + 3$ for a NS DID + 0.01$ for every incoming minute (I don’t use more than 200 incoming minutes / month, so 2$ extra is not a deal breaker). For almost unlimited cell phone local calling, that’s a VERY good deal. A currently use a Nokia E51 VOIP capable and getting to use the same providers via a WiFi router adds flexibility to the “system” (indoors Telus HSPA reception is not always great). VOIP.ms is another option for a DID and I was thinking of switching to their flat rate DID in case I use more than 300 incoming minutes a month.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
KillaB wrote: Thanks for the help emoci!

There are really only two weak points in our current Unlimitel setup......high DID costs and $0.02/minute rural rates for calling home to Ontario.

A voip.ms DID is currently $1.99US/month (inbound $0.0149/minute) and their outbound rates are unmatched as far as I can find. $0.0052US/minute Value route or $0.0125US/minute Premium route.
What I meant was ... where is your outbound going to mostly...within the city?

If you're calling the US or anywhere else in Canada mostly, my point is moot...

VBuzzer has the $50 a year for unlimited incoming calls + unlimited outgoing calls locally within the city (in Toronto that's all of 416 and 647 and part of the 905....they have recently added the same package for Vancouver as well...i keep saying vancouver guessing from your RFD location :) ).
Feedback:
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Member
Sep 10, 2002
313 posts
17 upvotes
Vancouver
Sorry for not adding more detail.
Yes, the VBuzzer deal does sound awesome but we just don't talk enough locally (yes Vancouver) yet to make it count.
Just trying to cut down on the $0.02 calls to rural Ontario.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
Update Telus Prepaid 1 number + DID Magic Number

I thought about what emoci said about CID with Betamax; I never even knew Betamax allows for CID because I never bothered with their PC client (and this is the only way to do it), but after a bit of Googleing I managed to get my DID registered with Betamax and also work in combination with Voxalot. Now I don't have to pay 1c/min for incoming calls and I can use Betamax for both outgoing and incoming. Since I only need a DID with no minutes, Voip.ms has the best rate for only 1.99$/month, time to ditch Localphone and save an enormous 1.01 $/month (talking about going real cheap).

emoci, my wallet is with you, thanks again.

P.S. I think you should write a guide about this :)
Member
Aug 13, 2008
398 posts
13 upvotes
hi all
i am in montreal, i registered with freephoneline.ca with a 514 cell #

for some reason my did# is 1 438......@......,
even though they have some voicebox access numbers begining with 514 in other cities, around montreal.

all i want to do is forward my calls FROM my cell To a voicebox, and retrive mesages. since my DID# is 1 438...., i am being charged long distance for pp. who leave messages for me. and I think if i gave this # to ppl. in Montreal, they will have to pay long distance.

what should i ask from freephoneline.ca

merci/thanks

EDIT: i have REregistered- seems to be working now
Newbie
Sep 14, 2009
20 posts
3 upvotes
claudiu_corbea wrote: Update Telus Prepaid 1 number + DID Magic Number

I thought about what emoci said about CID with Betamax; I never even knew Betamax allows for CID because I never bothered with their PC client (and this is the only way to do it), but after a bit of Googleing I managed to get my DID registered with Betamax and also work in combination with Voxalot. Now I don't have to pay 1c/min for incoming calls and I can use Betamax for both outgoing and incoming. Since I only need a DID with no minutes, Voip.ms has the best rate for only 1.99$/month, time to ditch Localphone and save an enormous 1.01 $/month (talking about going real cheap).

emoci, my wallet is with you, thanks again.

P.S. I think you should write a guide about this :)
Did you manage to get the DID from Magic Number Servcies?
www.magicnumber.ca or you mean you get it from Voxalot?
I try to visit those free DID web site in Canada, a lot of them is invalid now?
Newbie
Jul 14, 2009
58 posts
4 upvotes
Richmond
Question
Anyway to get free DID from Vancouver, Richmond, Burnaby area? most of the free services in Toronto and Montreal?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 12, 2006
3713 posts
49 upvotes
emoci wrote: What I meant was ... where is your outbound going to mostly...within the city?

If you're calling the US or anywhere else in Canada mostly, my point is moot...

VBuzzer has the $50 a year for unlimited incoming calls + unlimited outgoing calls locally within the city (in Toronto that's all of 416 and 647 and part of the 905....they have recently added the same package for Vancouver as well...i keep saying vancouver guessing from your RFD location :) ).
Any idea about this http://www.ipcomms.net?
I just got free number from them but seems not reliable.
Ban Steve Downie from NHL
Self Proclaimed PYwner Late Miss. Masco:My Gramma is gooder than your typos Says GrammerNazi.
smitty9999 on saving power: nooB Powers on the PC just to post stfu.
board123:when challenged runs away as fast as it can, hide behind mommy.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
todeal03 wrote: Did you manage to get the DID from Magic Number Servcies?
www.magicnumber.ca or you mean you get it from Voxalot?
I try to visit those free DID web site in Canada, a lot of them is invalid now?
No, I bought a DID and "made" my own Magic Number. For me it was worth it because I already have a paid PBXes subscription + Voip providers with free Canadian calling registered at Voxalot, but if you don't, I think www.magicnumber.ca is the best option; maintenance free, free calling to major Canadian cities.

P.S. Cheapest Canadian DID I could find > 1.49$ / month @ www.voip.ms
Newbie
Sep 14, 2009
20 posts
3 upvotes
claudiu_corbea wrote: No, I bought a DID and "made" my own Magic Number. For me it was worth it because I already have a paid PBXes subscription + Voip providers with free Canadian calling registered at Voxalot, but if you don't, I think www.magicnumber.ca is the best option; maintenance free, free calling to major Canadian cities.

P.S. Cheapest Canadian DID I could find > 1.49$ / month @ www.voip.ms
Thanks a lot for great info.
I am in Vancouver, so I see voipms rate is $1.99 and $0.015/min, I want to forward the DID to my cell phone. I think I will do about 600min a month. I will check with them if they have extra charge for forwarding the DID number to my cell phone. Otherwise, sounds good.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
The charge will be their regular termination rate, I don't think you can find free DID forwarding to PSTN numbers.
US/Canada termination for all tastes

We offer 2 termination routes to please every type of customers. USA/Canada premium at a flat rate of $0.0125. Value at a flat rate of 0.0105 for USA and Canada starting at $0.0049 (yes, 1/2 cent). Don't get fooled by the name, it may be called value but is still the route used by over 90% of our customers. If you are really picky, use the premium route.
Newbie
Sep 14, 2009
20 posts
3 upvotes
claudiu_corbea wrote: The charge will be their regular termination rate, I don't think you can find free DID forwarding to PSTN numbers.
Thanks Claudiu.
After calculate the DID fee, incoming charge and outgoing charge, I think I will need to spend about $10~$12 a month for this services.
If this is the case, I will try to use magic number service you mentioned.
Are they good or stable? I review the web site of magicnumber.ca, they said calling to other Canadian cities is free? is it true?

Not many thread on RFD talk about their services, I just cannot find anymore information on their services from the forum.
Sr. Member
Sep 27, 2009
740 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know how stable MagicNumber service is, but if you google a bit you can find some feedback and people are overall happy with their service and they do have free calling to major Canadian cities.
Unlimited free calling to the following cities:
Vancouver, Toronto, Victoria, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Halifax, Windsor, Ottawa, Oshawa, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Kingston, Hamilton, Cooksville, Brantford, Brampton, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Quebec City
You can go month to month first and test how is the service overall. I didn't go with them because they don't forward in case the caller has a Private CID (I have some people calling me without CID) so I started looking for a way to do my own Magic No and use the providers I already have.
Why I use Magic Number, but still been charged airtime by my cell phone company for certain incoming calls?
1. Someone who call your original cell number.
2. Someone who call your Magic Number but block his/her own caller ID, in this case we may still route this call to you but may Not showing that call are come from your Magic Number.

You may be charged airtime by your cell phone provider, if you pick up calls on either above cases. In order to avoid those unexpected charge, only pick up those incoming calls shown as from you Magic Number.
If you decide to subscribe, please leave some feedback.

Top