None
Jul 7, 2006
212 posts
26 upvotes
ovovov wrote:
Jul 1st, 2007 6:48 pm
tried icall.
it did not work out....
iCall has a lot of bugs which they had said they were working on. They had been beta-testing a new version by private invitation. If anyone was fortunate enough to get the beta version, would you be kind enough to post a download link?

In the meantime, Earthcaller has been suggested for outgoing calls to Canada/U.S. I have tested it a bit and the quality is good.

As for incoming calls, you can try www.tpad.com I've been having trouble with it and emailed tech support, but maybe you'll have better luck than me. You get an extension number but there are fewer Canadian access numbers than iCall, only Toronto and Vancouver.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Once more out of space, so in continuation:

Cheap Calls/Rate Comparison/The Betamax Services

1. There are a number of providers providing reasonably priced calls. Check here for rate comparison: http://www.comparevoipproviderrates.com/

2. BetaMax Services
Betamax offers a number of services, that on first appearance look different, yet follow the same model. Keep in mind that transferring credit from one to the other is not possible. Their free calling lists change constantly, and they are different from one service to the next. When considering each service look for the following:

-Rates to the Country of your Choice
-List of Free Countries
-Credit Expiry Period
-FreeDay Weekly Minute limit/FreeDay Expiry period
-Can it be used with software
-Can it be used with a SIP Device
-Any WebBased services

Rate Comparison (amounts in EuroCents): http://backsla.sh/betamax

BreakDown:

Freecall.com
Credit Expiry: 90 Days
FreeDays: 300min/week/90 days
Software: Yes
SIP: Yes (sip.voiparound.com)

DialNow.com
Credit Expiry: Never
FreeDays: N/A
Software: No
SIP: NO
Local Access Numbers: Yes (http://www.dialnow.com/en/accessnumbers.html)
(This is meant to be used like a calling card)

12voip.com
FreeDays: 300min/week/120 days
SIP: Yes (sip.12voip.com)
(Reported billing problems)

IntenetCalls.com
SIP: YES (sip.internetcalls.com)

JustVoip.com
FreeDays: 300min/week/120days
SIP: Yes (sip.justvoip.com)

LowRateVoip.com
FreeDays: 200min/week/30 days
SIP: Yes (sip.lowratevoip.com)
(Reported that SIP Calls are charged 3 euro cents higher than advertised)

Nettapel.fr
Free Days: 300min/week/120days
SIP: Yes (sip.nettapel.fr)

Nonoh.net
FreeDays:300min/week/120days
Software: NO
SIP: NO
WebBased: Yes (Works Similarly to Jajah)

Poivy.com
SIP: Yes (sip.poivy.com)

SipDiscount.com
Software: NO
SIP: YES (sip.sipdiscount.com)

SMSDiscount.com
SIP: Yes (sip.smsdiscount.com)
WebBased SMS: Yes

SparVoip.de
SIP: Yes (sip.sparvoip.com/sip.sparvoip.de)

VoipBuster.com
Sip: Yes (sip.voipbuster.com)
Mobile Access Numbers (Country Specific) : http://www.voipbuster.com/en/mobile.html#dedicated
Furum: https://forum.voipbuster.com/

VoipBusterPro.com
Credit Expiry: Never (10 Euro gets you the FreeDays Package and 5 Euro Credit)
FreeDays: 300min/week/365 days (3.9 euro cent connection fee applies to all calls)
SIP: Yes (sip.voipbusterpro.com)
(This was their offer to compete with Skype)

Voipcheap.co.uk
SIP: Yes (sip.voipcheap.co.uk)

VoipCheap.com
SIP: Yes (sip.VoipCheap.com)

VoipDiscount.com
SIP: Yes (sip.voipdiscount.com)

VoipStunt.com
SIP: Yes (sip.VoipStunt.com)
Mobile Access Numbers (Country Specific) : http://www.voipstunt.com/en/newsflash.html#news1

VoipWise.com
SIP: Yes (sip.voipwise.com)

WebCallDirect.com
WebBased Calling: Yes
SIP: Yes (sip.webcalldirect.com)

VoipRaider.com
FreeDays: Unspecified Minutes/week/120 Days (*in order to call a person in one of the free destinations, you have to add this person to your contact list )
SIP: Yes (sip.VoipRaider.com)
(Reported issues with using SIP for calling, SIP calls are charged higher and calls that are supposed to be free may actually be charged when using SIP)

For more info see: http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... l=de&tl=en

Note: Please be careful with Betamax services, they are known to have billing issues. Personally I would suggest paying with PayPal, and funding the PayPal payment with a credit card (giving yourself at least two dispute resolution possibilities, PayPal and your CC company, while avoiding having your credit card charged continuously)

Continued
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
vinnythejinny wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2007 10:57 pm
thanks emoci for another great post. I wanted to inform you that i could get that to work. Thanks for al your help :cheesygri

the issue was with DTMF tones when i called using icall...Bingo it worked. doesnt worth with earthcaller, i noticed that earthcaller doesnt send * DTMF
Good to hear you got it to work. I added a bit to the WorkAround today, involving TPad and the fact that they have even more numbers in places SipBroker doesn't.

Also I have no idea how rotary phones work with this, but I am sure it'll be easier using TPad when using a rotary since there is no * involved.

BTW

Tried it with earthcaller

If you dial the number, wait until it says welcome to the gateway, until he's finished talking, then open the dialpad and press * 0 1 0xxxxxx, giving some space after each digit, it actually worked for me....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Dec 22, 2005
158 posts
North York
ww.voipsector.net has good deals for long distance calling, you pick your own number too... but i don't think they have free us. meh
www.tdotfashion.info :arrow: lets you know of fashion discounts, special events, and whatever else has to do with fashion.
Oct 18, 2001
605 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
So since voxalot is going pay, no of any other free one to replace it?

This is what I have, maybe someone can give me some types/options.
I have one of the linksys pap2. hacked. what service can I use for dialout and dial in, maybe tpad?
Apr 23, 2007
37 posts
ontario
Thank you so much!!!
I found that earthcaller is the easiest to use (if you have a mic/headset). again Thank you so much, this will save me tons of money on my phone bill

Earthcaller (www.earthcaller.com)
-Remember to enter the adress with www in front
-It seems it wants the number without the 1 in front
-It needs to instal an ActiveX script
-You need to use a Headset/Mic to talk from your computer
[url=http://www.winzy.com (referral links are not allowed) (referral links are not allowed) (referral links are not allowed) (referral links are not allowed) (referral links are not allowed) (referral links are not allowed)]Click Here To Win[/url]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
The workaround for receiving calls to your cell/homephone has been updated to 3 illustrated guides ( ;) ).

BTW, I would like to thank the RFDer(s) that posted the freebie for the free SnagIt key, because all the screenshots were captured with it.

Also the second guide was a result of reading this http://voipguides.blogspot.com/2007/07/ ... art-2.html

Some other comments were added as well...

:cheesygri Hope you like what you see :cheesygri

BTW: Best way to go through the thing, start from the begining and keep pressing continue...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Banned
Jun 9, 2007
90 posts
USA
Emoci,

thanks for the mention. You have been a great help to get me started with this :razz:

Yesterday i posted another workaround to bypass any call forwarding with SIP. It doesnt matter if you use tpad or nimbuzz or any other provider.

Now since voxalot is becoming paid, this new alternative method will work well and its FREE.

Do read: Free Call Forwarding
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
vinnythejinny wrote:
Jul 13th, 2007 4:51 am
Emoci,

thanks for the mention. You have been a great help to get me started with this :razz:

Yesterday i posted another workaround to bypass any call forwarding with SIP. It doesnt matter if you use tpad or nimbuzz or any other provider.

Now since voxalot is becoming paid, this new alternative method will work well and its FREE.

Do read: Free Call Forwarding

Well, I did read yesterday, however (constructive criticism), you should edit it with info on how to add phonegnome along with TPAD.

Also, tpad registered with gtalk2voip.com does not seem to work so far.....for me....it says this when I call after registering,or at least what it sounds to me: :| WEASELS HAVE EATEN OUR PHONE SYSTEM :| :confused:

Finally, when using Gtalk2Voip someone calling hears: RING RING RING RING RING(differerent from others) Nothing, it is during this nothing that your phone actually starts ringing (at least for the 4 different numbers I've tried)

But free is free...

Anyways, the guides I've posted now have screenshots of what things should look like, should be easier for people to set up whichever way they go!

Hehe, there isn't really any guaranteed free VoIP, but just free offers for the time being, until.........
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Jul 12, 2007
2 posts
UK
Just to let you guys know the "weasels message" is when you try voicemail straight away after making a Tpad Account. It takes 1 hr to voicemail to be activated ( i think ).

Anyway, any ways we can make Tpad better?
More canada numbers?
Cheaper rates?

Cheers.... :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
wwwtpadcom wrote:
Jul 13th, 2007 5:27 pm
Just to let you guys know the "weasels message" is when you try voicemail straight away after making a Tpad Account. It takes 1 hr to voicemail to be activated ( i think ).

More canada numbers?
Cheaper rates?

Well, I mean....

My account has been there for over 4 months.
However, I am not convinced it is a TPad problem. It works fine in my PAP2, VoXalot etc.

It's just when registered on GTalk2Voip, trying to reach TPad (which should all things being fine ring the Messenger that GTalk2Voip account is linked to) instead gives that message. I have voicemail set to disabled.

BTW, assuming you have a TPad affiliation, is there a timeout, how long will TPad ring provided noone answers.... that may explain the message?
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2002
2330 posts
7 upvotes
I have a crap connection that won't work with any VOIP providers at the moment (Shaw Extreme!). If I had a good connection, how is the sound quality? I am noticing when I do a tracert it goes all the way to the UK for the Sip server. Regardless I am in europe so it won't matter.
Jul 7, 2006
212 posts
26 upvotes
wwwtpadcom wrote:
Jul 13th, 2007 5:27 pm

More canada numbers?
Cheaper rates?

Yes, more Canadian access numbers please!

Thanks for stopping by!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)