Tags:
None
Nov 25, 2002
968 posts
182 upvotes
Brampton
Gee wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2010 5:15 pm
There is no guarantee that FreePhoneLine will let you access VoIP.ms through their gateway.
As mentioned in the other thread, no traffic is going through FPL, the SPA3102 is starting a SIP call to voip.ms' gateway directly.
Gee wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2010 5:15 pm
I am not sure why you would not use an SPA2102 to do the same thing.

The only advantage to doing it this way is automatic line selection
Which is a huge advantage, if you're training a non-tech wife/parent/child to use the system.
Banned
May 5, 2003
4879 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
nabeel wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2010 5:32 pm
As mentioned in the other thread, no traffic is going through FPL, the SPA3102 is starting a SIP call to voip.ms' gateway directly.

Which is a huge advantage, if you're training a non-tech wife/parent/child to use the system.
Exactly... I have updated my other thread and need some clarification on the dial plans...

Is there any tool that can create a dial plan based on input and needs?
Nov 25, 2002
968 posts
182 upvotes
Brampton
Shaf wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2010 6:09 pm
Is there any tool that can create a dial plan based on input and needs?
No, you'll have to RTFM.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30328 posts
4930 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
nabeel wrote:
I understand that. You are initating a SIP call through voip.ms gateway using your FreePhoneLine account.
nabeel wrote:
With the SPA2102, I would program the dialing plan so that you cannot dial 1 from the FreePhoneLine account. You can do the same thing with the voip.ms line and not allow the digits 2-9 as the first number.
Jun 5, 2007
84 posts
3 upvotes
Has anyone successfully get IPkall work with FPL? I have a paid FPL number and it works with my PAP2. Yesterday I registered with IPkall and get a WA number. I managed get my IPkall number transferred to my Vbuzzer number successfully. Then I moved to next step to get it work with FPL account. I used below configure in IPkall however when I call IPKall I hear voice prompt from FPL "this account number is not valid". I verified the FPL account number configured in IPkall and it's correct. Anyone experienced same issue or did I miss anything?

SIP Phone Number: 1416477xxxx (my FPL number)
SIP Proxy: voip.freephoneline.ca

Help appreciated.
Dec 17, 2006
523 posts
62 upvotes
FPL does NOT accept incoming SIP calls. So it will NOT work with IPkall.
Jun 19, 2008
4 posts
I was using Liberailvoip CB with Voxalot for last two years but now LIV have stopped calls form Voxalot.

Could someone please tell me a new solution or workaround as I am overseas doing volunteer work and I relay on call back to call Canada.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I have IPkall number
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Did some cleanup, added a few updates, and added info about DID options for receiving SMS in the UK and US (LocalPhone in UK, GoogleVoice & VoXox in the US).

PS. I've been less around lately....so if anyone has new info or thinks some the info needs to be cleaned up feel free to post...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Mar 7, 2003
655 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
hey emoci,

I would like to design my small business with a combination of voip and pstn systems. I like to have the reliability of PSTN line because our internet is only 3 Mbit and shared across 6 computers, and one server.

So, this is what I have so far:

-Linksys SPA-941 Ip phone x 5 pcs
-Voip.ms subscription
-Bell Canada Subscription- 2 Lines - one for phone, another for fax and alarm
-Dell Server, Linksys routers, switches etc.(networking is not a problem)

what I would like to design is:

-make local calls using bell lines from IP phones
-route incoming bell lines to the IVR system and then the chosen extensions.
-acquire individual DIDs for each terminal for "direct access" purposes.
-make all LD and overseas calls through voip.ms system.

I am possibly missing some more features and but these are the main ones.

What would you suggest in terms of missing hardware and software in my system? I was looking at cisco spa8800, spa9000 and spa-400 among others. your insight would be appreciated as always.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
lagos wrote:
Jun 8th, 2010 10:31 pm
hey emoci,

I would like to design my small business with a combination of voip and pstn systems. I like to have the reliability of PSTN line because our internet is only 3 Mbit and shared across 6 computers, and one server.

So, this is what I have so far:

-Linksys SPA-941 Ip phone x 5 pcs
-Voip.ms subscription
-Bell Canada Subscription- 2 Lines - one for phone, another for fax and alarm
-Dell Server, Linksys routers, switches etc.(networking is not a problem)

what I would like to design is:

-make local calls using bell lines from IP phones
-route incoming bell lines to the IVR system and then the chosen extensions.
-acquire individual DIDs for each terminal for "direct access" purposes.
-make all LD and overseas calls through voip.ms system.

I am possibly missing some more features and but these are the main ones.

What would you suggest in terms of missing hardware and software in my system? I was looking at cisco spa8800, spa9000 and spa-400 among others. your insight would be appreciated as always.

Well this is what I can think of:

Option 1:
With everything you have right now you can everything except "make local calls using bell lines from IP phones". If your outgoing local calls are not many I would simply use Voip.ms for this too.
General setup would look like:
-5 Voip.ms Sub Accounts, one for each IP Phone.
-One Voip.ms incoming DID...
-The IP Phones can now call each other, be called as extensions from a central IVR, and each has its own SIP URI to which you can point DIDs that you plan on getting later on to be specific to each line
-In a gist Voip.ms can not only be calling provider, but you can use the bundled features to setup IVRs, Queues, Custome Recordings and Multiple VM boxes....
-You'll also need to get "Permanent Call Forwarding" from Bell to forward your landline to your Voip.ms DID, which in turn will lead to an IVR and the downsteam options
-The catch: The IP phones will not be able to use Bell for outgoing calls
-The worst case scenario: If your internet was to go down, you'd loose outbound calling capability on the IP phones...you can however configure auto failover (via Voip.ms) for incoming calls to ring on your second Bell Line should the you loose connectivity at the office.

Option 2:
-Everything mentioned above
-Bring in a SPA3000 or SPA3102
-You can now use the SPA3102 to forward Landline directly to SIP (so you can make due with just a Virtual DID rather than a full DID at Voip.ms and won't need the Call Forwarding from Bell)
-You can now add ability for the IP Phones to call out via Bell (but it'll be kind of a hack). You'd setup the Voip-to-PSTN gateway on the SPA and assign it a 6th extension (Voip.ms subaccount). Any of the IP phones would have to dial the 6th extension, wait for a dial tone, then dial out via Bell
-The worst case scenario: Remains same as above...

Option 3:
-Bring in a SPA9000 to act as your in-house PBX (alternatively to the SPA9000 you can bring in an actual PBX on a spare machine ... but this will require more tinkering) and bring in a SPA3000/3102 to use as the facilitator for the outgoing PSTN (Bell Landline) trunk.
-Your IP Phones will now register as extensions on the SPA9000, and the SPA9000 can be configured with a Voip.ms SIP trunk, and can be configured to use the SPA3102 as as the outbound PSTN trunk. Connectivity-wise they (both SPA9000, SPA3102 and IP Phones) just have to retain IPs in the same LAN but do not need to physically connect to each other.
-The SPA9000 has some PBX features built-in (VM boxes and such although not sure about Auto-Attendant type capability)
-Good news: If you lost internet connectivity, since the SPA9000 and SPA3102 are still in the same Lan .... incoming and outgoing calls over the Bell line would continue fine...and any VM/IVR features provided by the SPA would continue undisturbed.

Option 4:
-This is a little cheaper than Option 3... however an easier way to get started in my opinion
-Ditch the IP Phones and pick up 5 SPA3102s and 5 regular phones
-Use Voip.ms to setup 5 Subaccounts for each ATA to register against.
-Hookup the regular Bell line into the FXO port of each of the SPAs (will behave like multiple phones on the same line)
-Still get Bell to Call Forward to your Voip.ms DID and use Voip.ms for IVR/Auto Attendant features (so all incoming calls to the ATAs are coming through Voip.ms the bell line itself is not physically ringing in)
-Each of the ATAs will be able to call out using the Bell line
-Should internet go down...outgoing calls via Bell Line 1 still possible....you can use the second line as failover for incoming...and once you're aware then adjust the CallForwarding feature (it'll be a *xx code from Bell) at which point each of your 5 phones will receive calls--they'll all ring with the first to answer taking the call. Any IVR/Autoattendant features would not be available though...

The most complete choice is option 3.

If I had my way I would've started at option 4 and upgraded to option 3 by bringing in a SPA9000.

From where you stand right now, from an upfront cost perspective (from least to most) it goes option 1, option 2, option 3....

Here a little guide to integrating the SPA3000/3102 as a PSTN trunk for the SPA9000 http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps1 ... 5d6d.shtml

I don't know how much that helps....
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
4676 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
does freephoneline support forwarding to SIP URI's?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
gei wrote:
Jun 9th, 2010 9:43 pm
does freephoneline support forwarding to SIP URI's?
Not directly...but provided you've bought the SIP details you can use PBXes to forward it to any SIP URI...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD
Aug 13, 2008
388 posts
8 upvotes
I have a FPL (free phone line acct.)number that gives me free voice mail.
My cell is forwarded to my voice mail, hence I do not pay my cell provider for voice mail. But I have to pay for call forwarding.

Is there a way to forward/transfer without paying to the cell provider, ie perhaps a setting in the FPL account.
I still want to use my cell for receiving regular calls, just for to transfer the missed calls to voicemail.

Thanks for answering
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1746 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
appkidak wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2010 1:21 pm
I have a FPL (free phone line acct.)number that gives me free voice mail.
My cell is forwarded to my voice mail, hence I do not pay my cell provider for voice mail. But I have to pay for call forwarding.

Is there a way to forward/transfer without paying to the cell provider, ie perhaps a setting in the FPL account.
I still want to use my cell for receiving regular calls, just for to transfer the missed calls to voicemail.

Thanks for answering
There is no magic solution..in that as long as calls are directed to your cell number your Cell Provider is involved and will ding you for forwarding.

There's one possibility if you change the way you do things:
-Start giving out your FPL number rather than your cell number
-People call your FPL number, which in turn can be set to ring your cell, if you don't answer within x number of rings, FPLs VoiceMail takes the call.
PS. If you are thinking about doing this...you're gonna need two FPL accounts... one to do what I suggest above...one to continue using as VoiceMail (like what you're doing right now) to cover the possibility of someone calling your Cell Number directly until the transition (people using your new number) is complete...

(The catch is that this relies on people calling your FPL number rather than your cell number directly)...

As a sidenote...if you have Rogers or Fido check the respective retention threads on RFD...you maybe able to get VM thrown in for Free...
Heat|e-Bay|RFD