Expired Hot Deals

[Questrade] Free Ipad Mini - Questrade when you open a new account with $100,000 or transfer

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 30th, 2013 12:17 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
1030 posts
68 upvotes
So if someone transfers the 100G, they get the iPad, then the next day move the money to another institution ?
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
3521 posts
1215 upvotes
Halifax
sylvestor2002 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2012 7:50 am
So if someone transfers the 100G, they get the iPad, then the next day move the money to another institution ?
First of all you, the terms state you need to keep the $100,000 balance for 6 months.

Second of all, as mentioned many times, this isn't aimed at people who have $100,000 doing nothing in a savings account. This promo is targeted at people who have an investment account with at least $100,000 in assets in it at another brokerage.

Not everyone at RFD fits into the 16-25 age bracket. Some of us have been in the work force for quite a while. And if you don't have a company pension plan, you probably should have been investing money in an RRSP. If you consistently add to your RRSP it doesn't take too long to accumulate at least $100k.
Apr 8, 2009
513 posts
165 upvotes
B.C
The iPad mini is yours when you open and fund an account with $100,000. Or, fund your new account with just $1,000 and you’ll be entered to win one of 10 iPad minis. This promotion runs until December 31st 2012, so act quickly.
Is this a joke? Right? :razz:
Jul 21, 2005
963 posts
81 upvotes
You could transfer over a group of trading accounts over to Questrade to hit the $100k threshold.
I.e. You move your TFSA, RRSP and non-registered trading accounts from, say, BMO into Questrade.
Questrade will cover the transfer fees for all three accounts as long as each account is over $25,000

Anyone know how long it takes to transfer the accounts over?
Mar 6, 2004
139 posts
20 upvotes
does anyone know how there customer service is because I am reading both good and bad things about them. Also why is this not for someone with money sitting in a saving account?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8556 posts
584 upvotes
GTA
cobalt wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 12:56 am
does anyone know how there customer service is because I am reading both good and bad things about them. Also why is this not for someone with money sitting in a saving account?
I can be for someone with cash sitting in an account. In the previous threads people were posting " I am not going to lock up XXX amount of dollars just to get a free ipad" so I wanted to make it clear you could invest in any assets and it isn't tied up in cash during the 6 months minimum.

My personal experience with Questrade as a power of attorney on a few accounts... They don't seem to have a lot of customer service reps. If you need to talk to someone it can be a bit of a wait. However, their "live chat" online is pretty good. You can also arrange to have someone call you back vs. holding on the line if I recall correctly (never did it myself).

They recently launched/ are rolling out a new trading platform. I haven't used it myself but according to another poster it sounds like it isn't that great.

I have had personal experience with BMO and TD Waterhouse as well. BMO investorline can be long waits as well but if you are lucky enough to be able to bundle household assets (i.e. various accounts for related parties) over a certain minimum amount you can get to be part of their "5 star" service which is great.

I
Jul 21, 2005
963 posts
81 upvotes
cobalt wrote:
The second part of your question:
If your investment strategy was to simply park $100,000 into a savings account, then you'd earn a better return than dumping $100,000 cash into an trading account with Questrade.
However if you're going to use that $100,000 and invest in the secondary market anyways, well son, you'd be capturing capital gains (losses) and/or dividends. The kicker is that you've guaranteed yourself an ipad mini.
Banned
Jun 15, 2010
7062 posts
2436 upvotes
Niagara Falls
cobalt wrote:
customer service is almost never available. try calling them, and time your wait time lol, good luck. Questrade looks good on paper. They have lots of technical issues with the software. Try pre-market or aftermarket orders, it won't work, it will ask you to call CS, and 40+ min wait while you could be loosing money. Company is really for people who have under 10k in the account. If you have 100+ keep it with big firms.
Nov 2, 2011
671 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
whats a good broker you guys use? by good i mean cheapest. i was looking into virtual brokers
Aug 1, 2011
422 posts
224 upvotes
AB
Moving 100k for an ipad mini? Not sure about that.

Aug 21, 2009
978 posts
170 upvotes
ilapastel wrote:
Nov 29th, 2012 5:53 am
whats a good broker you guys use? by good i mean cheapest. i was looking into virtual brokers
I've used Questrade for over a year now and I think they're fantastic. Online help is great (they help you with literally everything, i.e. if you don't know what short selling or buying on margin is, they'll help you).
I quite like their trading platform as well, and trades are only 5$ a transaction.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2003
8556 posts
584 upvotes
GTA
Promo has been extended to the end of February
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1617 posts
197 upvotes
Montreal
Also, I just got an email from them that because of low stock (big surprise) that they can credit your account $329 instead, which IMO is better.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
4153 posts
1089 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
Wasn't the World supposed to end on Dec 21st.
Why are we still getting deals like this?
Weird!
Mar 20, 2011
41 posts
2 upvotes
Customer service is brutal. I moved all my accounts from TD to Questrade to save on commissions. It was the worst investment decision I ever made.

- They screwed up a lot of the tax forms.
- T5s and T3s did not show up until after the filing deadline.
- They froze funds for 2 months because a bill payment to the Questrade account came from a LOC (even though the bill payment was made 10 times before).
- Missing dividend payments.
- Screwed up pre-authorized withdrawals.
- The list goes on.

Questrade customer service can be tough to get ahold of and they do not seem to be tooled to solve issues - but I will give the employees credit for trying because I am sure they are not trained very well and are doing the best they can.

The thing that shocked me the most is how often reversals would happen in my accounts. Cash and shares would get transferred in and out that did not belong to me.

I transferred everything back to TDW earlier this year. While I am paying more in commissions it is worth the peace of mind.
× < >